Why become a member? ×

On The Etiquette Of Forgery

Happy Jack

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1393511144' post='2381226']
...[size=4]thrusting a bundle of rolled-up banknotes into Bluejay's hand[/size]
[size=4](@ Discreet: if you say [/size][u][i][b]one word[/b][/i][/u][size=4] I'm coming round to see you [/size] :lol:[size=4] ).[/size]
[/quote]

... ... ... ..!!?? :rolleyes:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1393511214' post='2381229']
Tell the pub to be careful when taking fifties as one of the fifties they paid you was a dud. Don't imply that you would like another and give them the dud back. The ball is in their court then. My money says they refund you.
[/quote]

Exactly what I would do.

The main thing is the feel of the note - banknotes, aside from polymer issue, are made of linen/cotton composite, not paper, so have a definite "feel" to them. In many cases it`s easier to identify a counterfeit note with your eyes closed, as the imaging draws you into the belief that the note is genuine. remove this aspect and usually the fingers tell it for what it is.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1393511820' post='2381242']
The main thing is the feel of the note ...
[/quote]

This one feels fine. Even if you handle it and then handle a genuine £10 and a genuine £20, you'd not immediately say "Now hold on just a minute!".

It might be different if you could handle it and then handle a genuine £50, but I wouldn't bet on it.

[quote name='Mark Dyer' timestamp='1393512763' post='2381264']
If you're going to try and palm it off on somebody else I'd do it quick, last I heard, the Government were talking of stopping production of the fifty pound note.
[/quote]

Only the Houblon one . . . .

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1393358820' post='2379360']
All those BCers with a mattress full of £50s should check them carefully because the 'Houblon' fifty is being withdrawn at the end of April.

I was just looking for official advice about forgeries and came across that news in a Bank of England FAQ here: [url="http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/pages/about/faqs.aspx"]http://www.bankofeng...about/faqs.aspx[/url]

A further search revealed that this was all over the news last month, though I didn't notice it at the time.
[url="http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25758063"]http://www.bbc.co.uk...siness-25758063[/url]
[/quote]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1393509626' post='2381179']
Seriously though, all the fuss made about £50 notes is basically to discredit cash. The government are desperate to get rid of cash entirely so they can 100% keep tabs on what everyone's buying and where.
[/quote]

Aha, so it's the government who's producing the fake £50s then? Damn clever, they get to spend loadsamoney without it costing them anything, and then they use it as an excuse to get rid of cash.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1393507792' post='2381145']

Close ... but no cigar.u

The ink on a genuine £50 note never dries completely.

If you rub one with a piece of white tissue paper, it's [i][b]supposed [/b][/i]to stain!
[/quote]

correct

You must play some real posh areas if the easiest ready cash for the landlord to grab from the till is 4 £50 notes.

Talk to other people who've played there and my guess is that he does that trick to ALL the bands? Its a way of getting a discount. When you've got a few other victims together, then go to the police with the names of all the other victims. The landlord won't like you for it, but that's tough. He's been trying to take you for mugs.

On the subject of being paid in odd currency, I'll repeat an anecdote I had put in my status. We were recently asked to do a fundraiser gig for a refugee charity, and the band agreed to do it for free (after expenses)
My text to the organiser was meant to be "We'll do the gig for now't"
Some collusion between typo and auto correct changed it to "We'll do the gig for Moët"