Why become a member? ×

Your Bass Tone

stingrayfan

I have come to realise that I reached that point a while ago, tried other things too and always came back to this one main sound, the first bass in this clip

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WILDNiF6k38"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WILDNiF6k38[/url]

Just suits everything and more importantly sounds fantastic live and recorded. With the Vbass system now installed on the bass I have also nailed the more common stereotypical Jazz and Musicman sounds all on that bass which makes me a very happy boy.

I recall you saying you were still looking? What do you seek?

ped

I go for a 'blank slate' style sound, active bass tuned EADGC with extra heavy gauge strings and set up as low as physically possible, 80% bridge pickup, 20% neck, relatively flat EQs with adjustments based on acoustics and the state of my strings. I usually over-amplify but play very gently so it isn't too loud and use light compression, so I get a very even and full sound and can still get some kick out of accents. I also use MXR-M80 distortion when appropriate.

Not amazingly unique, but I like it a lot and it suits my style, I play entirely different (and imo not as good) playing a Jazz Bass with a medium setup or similar basses.

Edited by Oscar South

[quote name='ped' post='234445' date='Jul 7 2008, 07:58 PM']I recall you saying you were still looking? What do you seek?[/quote]
I think I'm pretty much there.

I like "modern hi-fi scooped" - and with the 2nd hand Trace Elliot head, I've just got, I'm pretty close I think.

One reason I bought a Chapman Stick, back in 2000, was the tone. If any of you have heard Dream Theater's New Millennium, you'll have an idea of what I'm on about. I also dabble with synth bass at times (Kawai K5000S and Novation XioSynth).

Whatever the technology, I want a strong fundamental tone before all else, so if I look at another 5-er, or even a 6-er, I'll want a 35" scale. Maybe even a Dingwall Fanned Fret job. Plus the amp & speakers to faithfully project that tone.

I'm a long way from that goal: in fact, I don't even own an amp of any sort, since I have no way to transport it (can't drive), nowhere to put it (small rented flat), and I would not be able to turn it up at any time of day or night (neighbours). :)

I don't know if I'm there yet but I have sure moved on from my Encore bass and Badger amp.

I like a to play deep but with attack I prefer a P-Bass tone but my Jazz with it's SD Quarter Pounders sounds awesome.

Next year I'm going to buy a Stingray and see if I can find the holy grail.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='234481' date='Jul 7 2008, 08:54 PM']I don't know if I'm there yet but I have sure moved on from my Encore bass and Badger amp.

I like a to play deep but with attack I prefer a P-Bass tone but my Jazz with it's SD Quarter Pounders sounds awesome.

Next year I'm going to buy a Stingray and see if I can find the holy grail.[/quote]
Wait till you get that Trace head going... Select "pre-shape" and you might not need the SR. :)

Edited by stingrayfan

Ever since finding out about Warwicks and Jaco, growl and bark have now been the key elements of my own tone, and for countless others. I thought I had found "It" with my Thumb, but something is still missing, and thats it not being a NT.

But........since saturday I now have a compromise, and thats my King-Bass. It's not the growl of Wenge and Bubinga...it is it's own unique growl and I've got so much control of the mid's on this bass and the tonal variety is much more larger than I first imagined. Their defiently not just for Level 42 and Mark King clones, they can do everything in between as well.

Edited by Josh

Trouble is 'my perfect sound' changes depending what situation I'm in.
For the function band, the P bass thru a TE with the pre-shape is spot on.
For the rock nights its gotta be the Stingray thru the TE flat.
For 'acoustic' nights I use the Jazz f'less straight into the desk.

I occasionally get what I think is my target tone, and then the guitarists start and I can barely hear the notes I'm playing.

I used to use a Peavey preamp/multi-effects unit into a Laney 15" Combo but since getting my Trace rig I tend to just stick either bass straight through it, with just a little extra mid on the EQ, and that is it.

If the venue is such that I can crank the volume up a bit or even add the 1x15 to the 2x10 then it is even better. But, of course, the guitarist just turn up their rigs and we are back to square one.

[quote name='ped' post='234445' date='Jul 7 2008, 07:58 PM']I have come to realise that I reached that point a while ago, tried other things too and always came back to this one main sound, the first bass in this clip

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WILDNiF6k38"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WILDNiF6k38[/url]

Just suits everything and more importantly sounds fantastic live and recorded. With the Vbass system now installed on the bass I have also nailed the more common stereotypical Jazz and Musicman sounds all on that bass which makes me a very happy boy.

I recall you saying you were still looking? What do you seek?

ped[/quote]
You should be a happy boy!!
Sounds very clear and punchy and sits great in the mix
Stuart

Mine is a little woofy at the minute in the low end (I'm currently using a hollowbody McCartney bass copy), but I have a feeling that adding a compressor to my signal chain might resolve this.

Any thoughts?

I'd like to be able to get a good recorded bass tone but as yet, never managed it. If I could have my live sound on recordings I'd be well happy....I rely on new strings, a tight midrange sound with some compression is what I try and aim for.

[quote name='acidbass' post='234578' date='Jul 7 2008, 10:49 PM']Mine is a little woofy at the minute in the low end (I'm currently using a hollowbody McCartney bass copy), but I have a feeling that adding a compressor to my signal chain might resolve this.

Any thoughts?[/quote]

try cutting the lower frequencies a little and and boosting you lower mids...that works well with my semi-acoustic.

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='234422' date='Jul 7 2008, 07:30 PM']What's your ideal bass tone - and have you got it yet?[/quote]
Good thread!

The answer for me is yes, but there's more than one 'ideal tone' which makes it kind of more fun..

If I was in a band playing original music then I'd probably be searching for one sound but playing a wide variety of covers means that I need to be able to recreate lots of different tones. From a 60's Motown thump playing 'Valerie' through to a clanky rock sound when doing stuff like the Killers..

I doubt I get anywhere achieving all of them but it's great fun trying and keeps me interested. :)

New strings, the S-1 set to series for the powerful stuff, reign it in with the MutiComp, low boost from the Bass Xciter, mid boost on the amp, nice bit of valve dirt and bosh - pure rock.

For the quieter stuff - S-1 back to parallel so the lower output doesn't push the valve as hard roll the bridge off a bit and bosh - pure everything else.

I can get away with just about any amp if I'm using someone elses by using the SansAmp for the dirt.

Like Nik says, good thread mate!