Why become a member? ×

Your Bass Tone

stingrayfan

Er... I plug my Thumb in, controls flat and strings not too old (but not too new!). That's about it. If I'm playing something a bit souly or older, I solo the front pup. I use 10"s at the moment to avoid lots of boomy low end, but starting to think I'd be better off with 12"s for when the effects get stomped on.

Actually yeah I'm still tweaking the effects. It's harder to get some of those to sit well in a band mix.

I found several ideal bass tones for my band. The main one I love, which is pretty standard for me is:

schecter bass with bass boosted and highs cut and bridge p/u half way down -> LS-2 blending B2.1U with low gain OD and Ibanez CP5 with slow attack (as in lots of punch!) -> LMB-3 -> Peavey 1 x 15" combo and Johnson 2 x 12" guitar amp bi-amped, crossover at around 800hz.

This sounds so punchy, cuts through so much, but still has loads of that "I'm playing on a huge wooden stage" boom to it. There's lots of EQ on the amps as well. I suppose it sounds a bit overkill, but this is almost my "clean" tone.

Amp - Everything on full bar the volume!
Bass - Everything on full (tone and volume)
Style - Harsh and quick fingerstyle
Strings - Status Rotosound steels, (prefer nickels cos their kinder to my fingers, but had none in stock)
Distortion - None... hate the stuff

and i think i like my tone infact yeah i do it's just really boomy... but controlled boom through the amp.... how ever it's clear so i can and the audience can hear the change overs....

:)

Edited by teen t-shirt

Easy:

Status Retroactive Bass with Status Hotwires -> either of my Trace V-Type rigs.

Yum :huh:

Currently the bass is strung with DR Black Beauties and it's still damn fine, but I think I prefer the Hotwires that were originally on it :)

[quote name='binman' post='234573' date='Jul 7 2008, 10:44 PM']You should be a happy boy!!
Sounds very clear and punchy and sits great in the mix
Stuart[/quote]

Thanks Stuart, most kind! What about your sound?

For live work, at the moment, it's pretty much everything flat. I want to get some time to experiment again though, I used to have a somewhat scooped mid with some flanger and reverb on it which came over pretty well in recordings.

[quote name='ped' post='234831' date='Jul 8 2008, 11:09 AM']Thanks Stuart, most kind! What about your sound?[/quote]
Just bought a Glock so everything has changed! Basses run with a flat eq and amp flat also, this is me back at square one :) so the search is on again. Love your sound thou
Stuart

[quote name='binman' post='235267' date='Jul 8 2008, 08:59 PM']Just bought a Glock so everything has changed! Basses run with a flat eq and amp flat also, this is me back at square one :) so the search is on again. Love your sound thou
Stuart[/quote]

Keep meaning to try a Glock. Very nearly bought one a while back and quite recently. I don't know why but I imagine they would suit me really well in terms of tone.

Enjoy the search... Though I am very happy to have a tried and true and to a certain extent an 'individual' bass sound, I sort of miss the thrill of the chase. My wallet doesn't though!!

Cheers
ped

[quote name='Merton' post='234795' date='Jul 8 2008, 10:35 AM']Easy:

Status Retroactive Bass with Status Hotwires -> either of my Trace V-Type rigs.

Yum :huh:

Currently the bass is strung with DR Black Beauties and it's still damn fine, but I think I prefer the Hotwires that were originally on it :)[/quote]

I just KNOW that is a winning combination!!!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='234691' date='Jul 8 2008, 07:17 AM']Good thread!

The answer for me is yes, but there's more than one 'ideal tone' which makes it kind of more fun..

If I was in a band playing original music then I'd probably be searching for one sound but playing a wide variety of covers means that I need to be able to recreate lots of different tones. From a 60's Motown thump playing 'Valerie' through to a clanky rock sound when doing stuff like the Killers..

I doubt I get anywhere achieving all of them but it's great fun trying and keeps me interested. :)[/quote]
This is what we're discussing in the GAS/Bad Seeds/Pro players thread. A lot of guys need a whole bunch of sounds as ideal as possible and the thrill of the chase has really caught my interest in the last year or two.

I need a really good amp that delivers power across the range that allows my sound to come from my guitars and playing. Not necessarily ultra-clean (although that's ok), just not with a pronounced scoop. My Laney sounds great at room volume but at high volume (6/7 plugged into two cabs) it seems to become lots of boom and string noise but quite weak sounding on the D and G strings. I might have that wrong but I gigged with a Trace 4x10 combo last month that was set totally flat and it sounded so full (but still articulate) across the range.

Thoughts?

I think I'm nearly there, for me its my MIJ fender P bass with wizard thumper pup (strung with 50-110 DR high beams) played with a dunlop tortex 1.14mm pick through my pedalboard.

I get a great tone from my DHA/peavey/trace setup (although I really want to add a 4x12 to it) but I travel back and forth to london to record at the moment for one project and for my other 2 bands we use rehersal rooms where the quality of gear varies greatly so I made my pedalboard to get a consistant tone whatever i'm using thanks mainly to my sansamp BDDI, I have an EQ pedal on the board to tweak for any room accoustics but usualy give the mids a boost from 300hz to 1.2khz to cut through a bit.

Having said that my sansamp might be getting replaced when the aguilar tone hammer finaly gets released :)

Edited by mr pablo

I hate to sh*t on anyones chips, but its all very self indulgent.

(I don't think there's anything wrong with self indulgence though - so I'm not having a dig).

Only YOU really care about the subtleties of bass tone. The audience/listener couldn't really give a sh*t.

People describe their tone like it's a fine wine, whereas the audience is happy to drink jam jars full of Buckfast.

I suppose if buying expensive gear for the sake of it makes you happy and you imagine you hear a difference, then go for it. We've all done it. It sometimes concerns me that some younger forum members seem hung up on having the latest/most expensive gear (probably better than their ability requires).

But then I usually go and have a pot noodle and a w*** and the world is all OK again.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='236692' date='Jul 10 2008, 05:04 PM']Only YOU really care about the subtleties of bass tone. The audience/listener couldn't really give a sh*t.[/quote]

They may not give a sh*t, but they may well be able to tell subconsciously or something.......

My point being, I and quite a few bassists will use effects and their "tone" to try and fill the gap in frequency content of their 3 piece band, compared to a 4 piece. Take their sound away and you have 1 clean bass, 1 guitar, and it all sounds miles thinner.

Loads of music-lamens have complimented me on my bass sound over the years.

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='236696' date='Jul 10 2008, 05:10 PM']And thats the most important thing.

As long as you appreciate that the nice gear is mostly for your benefit.[/quote]

I've always found that the louder the bass the greater the proportion of the audience that think I'm a godlike genius.

So if nice=loud then, yes, it is for my benefit!

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='236696' date='Jul 10 2008, 05:10 PM']And thats the most important thing.

As long as you appreciate that the nice gear is mostly for your benefit.[/quote]

Its good to know that YOU at least know that you sound good regardless of wether the punters care or not :)

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='236696' date='Jul 10 2008, 05:10 PM']As long as you appreciate that the nice gear is mostly for your benefit.[/quote]
OH MY GOD... I' VE BEEN LIVING A LIE!

I'm glad you're around to tell us like it is. We're too FIKK IN TEH HEAD to realise otherwise. :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='236716' date='Jul 10 2008, 05:32 PM']OH MY GOD... I' VE BEEN LIVING A LIE!

I'm glad you're around to tell us like it is. We're too FIKK IN TEH HEAD to realise otherwise. :)[/quote]

Not a problem.

I appreciate that a lot of you guys look up to me on here, so I'm always glad to help.

[quote name='ped' post='236699' date='Jul 10 2008, 05:13 PM']Mostly, but I think the OP is justified in asking other bass players about their sound, as we can appreciate the subtleties of such things. No point being defeatist about your bass sound![/quote]

Totally justified.

As a bass player, I can appreciate (to a degree) the difference that decent gear can make. I just think too much emphasis is sometimes placed on equipment over ability/creativity.

And I also like to justify the sh*t gear that I use.