Why become a member? ×

NCD - New Cab Day - Schroeder Content

discreet

[b]NCD - New Cab Day - Schroeder Content[/b]

Here we go then - today I literally picked up a Schroeder 1212L in exchange for three hundred notes. 2X12, 800W RMS, 40Hz-18kHz, Titanium Bullet Tweeter 250W, 4ohms, 19Kg (42lbs). [size=4]I was after a one-cab solution. I have two BFM J12s which are 18kg each, so not exactly heavy, but they are quite awkward to carry as I put strap handles on the top of them for a vintage look... duh. And they take up too much room in my Polo.[/size]

[size=4]Anyway, I like that idea of only having to do one trip from the car. Also, I wanted the all-valve, big-rig sound, [/size][size=4]hence the Burman kit, [/size][size=4]but without carrying a big rig, or at least a big cab, hence the Schroeder.[/size]

[size=4]How is it? I was expecting it to be low mid-forward as t'internet told me it would be, and it is so - but it also has shedfuls of bottom end too, which I was not expecting. And a very smooth, non-strident shimmery top end as well, which I also was not expecting.[/size]

Received wisdom states that these cabs sound like poo in isolation and absolutely lush in the mix with a band. Mine doesn't exactly sound like poo, but I'm very much looking forward to our next rehearsal during the week when I will be able to report on it's poo-ness, or lack thereof, as appropriate. That is all! :)

Edited by discreet

well it kind of depends really , I can dial some lovely tone and sounds through it and wind it up to sound sweet , but I do try to sharpen it up with the band , it does punch nicely , it can clang nicely aswell , I don't normally have too much trouble either way to be honest , every room you play affects the sound at different volumes , so I guess if you get used to fiddling with the thing you will get to feel how to make it sing .

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1392841789' post='2373457']
well it kind of depends really, I can dial some lovely tone and sounds through it and wind it up to sound sweet, but I do try to sharpen it up with the band, it does punch nicely, it can clang nicely as well, I don't normally have too much trouble either way to be honest, every room you play affects the sound at different volumes, so I guess if you get used to fiddling with the thing you will get to feel how to make it sing.
[/quote]

Thanks for this - I look forward to trying it out with the band. :)
Hope it works out, because it sure is easy to haul!

Edited by discreet

Nice one Mark, I`ve had a couple of Schroeders and on their own I wouldn`t say the sound was poo, but it was a tad harsh, middy & nasally would be my description. But in the mix that translated to a really good presence, full and detailed. Amazing cabs, for a one cab does all that 1212L is a good choice (I had been looking at it wistfully myself, thinking a Markbass LMIII, Aggie Tonehammer or TC RH450 would pair rather nicely with it).

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1392848122' post='2373582']
Nice one Mark, I`ve had a couple of Schroeders and on their own I wouldn`t say the sound was poo, but it was a tad harsh, middy & nasally would be my description. But in the mix that translated to a really good presence, full and detailed. Amazing cabs, for a one cab does all that 1212L is a good choice (I had been looking at it wistfully myself, thinking a Markbass LMIII, Aggie Tonehammer or TC RH450 would pair rather nicely with it).
[/quote]

Thanks for that, mate. :) I'm not getting harsh or nasal on its own exactly, but it's definitely what I would call 'mid-forward'. I can imagine it carrying a punch in a live situation, as lurksalot said. Maybe the lack of harshness is something to do with my amp, which essentially is a full-range PA valve amp with huge transformers - it has a very warm sound through my BFMs.

Can't wait to get it cranked at rehearsal!

Edited by discreet

Had one or two enquiries about the amp stand... it's a Quik-Lok BS-625 dual-platform stand which I bought from GAK for £75 posted. It has two independently-adjustable sets of arms so you can have a combo and its extension cab (for example) tilted to your requirements. Or an amp head and cab, or any combination thereof.

[size=4][b]Quik Lok BS-625 Amp Stand Spec:[/b][/size][list]
[*][size=4]Top platform dimensions:[/size]
[*][size=4]Height: 10.63'' - 27 cm[/size]
[*][size=4]Width: 14.56'' - 37 cm[/size]
[*][size=4]Depth: 7.5'' - 19 cm[/size]
[*][size=4]Height adjustment positions (6):[/size]
[*][size=4]from 21.26'' to 29.5'' (54 to 75 cm)[/size]
[*][size=4]Bottom support arms:[/size]
[*][size=4]Height positions (4): from 3.15'' to 7.5'' (8 to 19 cm)[/size]
[*][size=4]Width positions (4): from 14.76'' to 19.68'' (37.5 to 50 cm)[/size]
[*][size=4]Depth: 7.5'' - 19 cm[/size]
[*][size=4]Clearance between top and bottom support arms:[/size]
[*][size=4]from 14.2'' to 21.6'' (36 to 55 cm)[/size]
[*][size=4]Fold-up height: 25.6'' - 65 cm[/size]
[*][size=4]Fold-up width: 20.28'' - 51.5 cm[/size]
[*][size=4]Frame tube size: 30 x 30 mm[/size]
[*][size=4]Weight Capacity: 88.89 lb - 40 kg[/size]
[*][size=4]Weight: 14.89 lb - 6.7 kg[/size]
[*][size=4]Colour: Black[/size]
[/list]

Edited by discreet

I bought a Schroeder 1210 from Basschat in late 2012 when my other cab was playing up. I'd read a fair bit online beforehand about it having a "mid hump" etc soundwise, which made me hesitate initially.

I decided to bite the bullet - and I'm very glad I did. It's one of the best bits of kit I've ever used, and it sounds incredible live (in my case with a Little Mark III and a P Bass)

So much so that the local amp repair / techie guy (and general alll-round sound afficionado) who was in the audience immediately asked me for details of what gear I was using, and has now swapped his older, larger rig for a LM3 and Schroeder 1210 on the strength of that gig.

In short, they're killer cabs. Absolutely brilliant.

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1392908078' post='2374043']The Schroeder I had was the best cab I've owned at filling a room with really good bass sound, and yes, I regret selling it[/quote][quote name='bassbiscuits' timestamp='1392909428' post='2374064']In short, they're killer cabs. Absolutely brilliant.[/quote]

Glurk! Now I'm getting really excited. :gas:

Edited by discreet

Still using my old 1212r, it's a huge sounding cab. I eq the excess mids out on my LMII and boost the bass a little (never past 1 o'clock), wind in the tweeter just a tad and it's spot on, have never really wanted for anything else apart from an EAD212.

Would someday like to A/B it with the neo L version as although the cab sounds as good as the day I bought it 6 years ago it doess seem to have gotten heavier! Congrats on yours though, that's a great price for some quality kit.

[quote name='lemmywinks' timestamp='1392910719' post='2374091']
...although the cab sounds as good as the day I bought it 6 years ago it does seem to have gotten heavier!
Congrats on yours though, that's a great price for some quality kit.
[/quote]

Thanks, Steve. :) Presumably the 'R' model is a precursor to the 'L', then? Though [size=4]I see that neither cab features on Jorg's website any more. [/size][size=4]What I do know so far from just playing it at home is that it's pumping out a lot of SPL for such a small box...[/size]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1392894680' post='2373855']
Actually the cab is only angled because it's on the top of an amp stand. And in the OP pic, the amp and pre look smaller than they are due to perspective... :)

[/quote]I meant angled in the baffle.... you've noticed the 2nd speaker?? :)

I used to have a tech soundsytems cab with the same set up, a number of times the PA guy would ask about my cab, and I would say it was a 2x12... plonk it on stage sit back and watch the pa guy staring at it for ages trying to work it out

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1392911306' post='2374097']
Thanks, Steve. :) Presumably the 'R' model is a precursor to the 'L', then? Though [size=4]I see that neither cab features on Jorg's website any more. [/size][size=4]What I do know so far from just playing it at home is that it's pumping out a lot of SPL for such a small box...[/size]
[/quote]

Yeah the R has normal ceramic magnet drivers, it's still quite light and I can lift it with one hand. Tbh it only seems to have gotten heavier since I bought a featherlight mini cab for rehearsals and home use. It's all relative I suppose!

OCD attack!! I've started tidying the cab up a little... worst thing was the logo, looked like someone had tried to prise it off at some point, or it had been hit or scraped by something... in any case it was a bent bit of tin... ;)

Photoshop came into play, I reproduced the logo and had a plastic-backed badge made up.

Much nicer than the original. Once again I used Imagin Badges of Kirkaldy, Fife, who will make badges and logos to your spec:
[url="http://www.imagin-badges.co.uk/"]http://www.imagin-badges.co.uk/[/url]

You just upload your artwork as an EPS file to their website and they do the rest.

A touch-up with Tuff-Cab, next. Well I've got to keep myself occupied until next rehearsal, haven't I?
What do you mean, 'practice the bass'? :mellow:

Edited by discreet

I love my 1515L, it's a stonking piece of kit, and matches the Streamliner very very well. In some rooms I use a very small stand like this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-Monitor-Guitar-Amp-Amplifier-Steel-Foldable-Speaker-Floor-Stand-/191074139302?pt=UK_ConsumerElectronics_EquipmentStands_SM&hash=item2c7ce7fca6

It angles the cab up enough to get some sound to ear level, and it folds down flat and small. An essential piece of kit with a small cab, IMHO.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1392986792' post='2374946']
I love my 1515L, it's a stonking piece of kit, and matches the Streamliner very very well. In some rooms I use a very small stand like this one: [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-Monitor-Guitar-Amp-Amplifier-Steel-Foldable-Speaker-Floor-Stand-/191074139302?pt=UK_ConsumerElectronics_EquipmentStands_SM&hash=item2c7ce7fca6"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2c7ce7fca6[/url] It angles the cab up enough to get some sound to ear level, and it folds down flat and small. An essential piece of kit with a small cab, IMHO.
[/quote]

1515L, eh..? That looks like a beast - albeit a tiny beast. ;) I did consider that particular stand, but it leaves nowhere to put my amp except on the floor. Having my amp atop the cab when it's at an angle isn't an option. Do you put your Streamliner on top of your cab when it's on the stand?

Yep, it's a pocket battleship of a cab. And yep, I put my Streamliner on top - in the past I've used that nonslip rubber matting, but I put it down somewhere and lost it, so now I hook the front feet of the amp over the front edge of the cab, and it's all good.