Why become a member? ×

Jake Bugg and his band - impressive

Musicman20

Probably not one for the folk/country/blues police, but Jake Bugg is one talented young man.

I went to see him on Sunday at the Newcastle City Hall, (great venue!).

Stunning guitar player, excellent live vocals, almost like a modern day Johnny Cash.

His band are equallty excellent. His bassist used an EBMM Stingray Classic and a Gibson Midtown throughout the set and both sounded superb. The Stingray sounded very fat, warm, with an almost double bass like tone with him playing nearer the neck.

I was also super impressed with his guitar tone. Can't beat a good Telecaster/Strat with a bit of drive.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1392743353' post='2372239']
He even dresses a little like JC, along with the fact he strums his guitar in that sweeping motion...also some Bob Dylan song writing style in there as well.
[/quote]
He is nothing like Johnny Cash to my ears or eyes.

As far a Dylan goes, that's why i mentioned Donovan. ;)

I remember reading a thread on here not long after he first appeared on the scene where he got absolutely slated for not being original enough, but it think the wee guy is brilliant. Saw him at the O2 Academy in Glasgow last October and seeing him again at the Corn Exchange in Edinburgh on a Saturday night, really looking forward to it.

[quote name='lou24d53' timestamp='1392755069' post='2372441']
In what way do you mean? Just asking, cause anytime I've seen him on anything on TV he seems somewhat reserved, bordering on extremely shy.
[/quote]

He is quite shy, but confident when he sings or solos...just not a lot of rock star about him. Flawless live vocalist/guitarist.

No lead guitarist. He played all of it which let the bass and drums shine.

I know the guy whom wrote/developed the bass lines on Jakes first album....unfortunately the usual happened....Record label likes fresh new artist ...couldn't give a flying f''k for the so called backing band and just whisk of said artist to record album with session players.....didn't even bother changing the bass lines at all....and no....he didn't get a writing credit.

That taints my opinion of young Mr Bugg a little ( I know he didn't really have much choice ...it would have been nice if he had tried to stick up for his band a little though) but all in all I like his songs and am pleased he has had some success.

Think I might know the same guy, Ray. In fact there were a few players who backed him in his early days who were promised decent jobs when Jake made it as they all knew they were too old to really be his backing band on a full tour. Some did get good 'behind the scenes' jobs for the tour but not all. As you say I think Bugg just did what management told him and didn't ultimately have any real say. I guess it's the sort of murky goings on that happen all the time when someone hits the 'big time'.

Two observations:

The music of Mr Bugg holds little interest for me, but in his wake the music venues of Nottingham are now clogged up with fey weedy "singer-songwriters" and their cheap and nasty sounding acoustic guitars. It's a sorry state of affairs as it seems that neither the venues or the "musicians" realise that there is only room for a few artists like Jake Bugg at any one time, and TBH none of the wannabes have even remotely what it takes.

I have little sympathy for the "backing musicians". They are simply that. As I always say if you want to make yourself indispensable in a band then for starters make sure it is actually a band and not a front man and his backing group. The Artist is called "Jake Bugg". Not "Jake Bugg & The Amazing Backing Band". The clue is in the name. Secondly if you have a substantial creative input in the musical process then make sure that you get the credit that is due to you right at the beginning, and not be scrabbling about for scraps when fame beckons.

I have a lot of sympathy for backing musicians.... even though they are just that and will always be dumped by managemnt when the money starts to roll in. If that is a problem don't back a singer, join a band.

Bass lines are just "arrangement" and won't get a writing cedit, no matter how creative you think they are.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1392847484' post='2373566']
He's no Lonnie. Jake plays pleasant enough music but Lonnie was not only very talented but also a pioneer.
[/quote]

Said with tongue slightly in cheek. It was the fact his initial material was skiffl-esk and his voice, to me, reminded me of Lonnie. However regarding pioneering I will maintain that relatively speaking he is in terms of reviving the style.

A

I keep hearing that Jake Bugg is going to be the next big thing, but from the stuff I've seen, I don't get it.
I've not seen him live but then nothing is grabbing me enough to go and do that either.

His songs fall short but I think the PR is doing really well.

Good luck to the guy ..but I don't think he stood a hope in hell's chance of keeping his backup guys.
They knew..or should have known, that the record company and management would
drop them as soon as poss...nothing has changed there.

From what I've seen, the bassist has been the same for the past year/18 months for his UK live work.

His bassist is suprisingly refreshing. No P bass, and favours a Musicman Stingray Classic with the treble (I assume) all the way off, lots of warm thump, sounds very much like a take on a double bass.