Why become a member? ×

Vox Phantom

timmo

I borrowed one of these for about a week around 1973 (ish). Holds the crown as just about the most impossible body shape to play in the seated position I've ever come across.

Had to constantly hold the neck up while the back end relentlessly drove toward the right (as the slope travelled across the thigh). I gave up, having found the bass unplayable.

Couldn't afford a strap then. Ah, the good old days ....

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1392416545' post='2368654']
I borrowed one of these for about a week around 1973 (ish). Holds the crown as just about the most impossible body shape to play in the seated position I've ever come across.

Had to constantly hold the neck up while the back end relentlessly drove toward the right (as the slope travelled across the thigh). I gave up, having found the bass unplayable.

[/quote]
That's what happens when you get the Design Council to design a bass... :lol:

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1392411882' post='2368587']
Now this is a wierd ungly looking thing.
[/quote]
That's a matter of opinion but the Phantom was a common guitar and bass with Beat Groups in the 60s. The Dave Clark Five & The Hollies (Tony Hicks also played a Phantom XII) both featured the guitar versions and Brian Jones played one on many Stones recordings.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1392423877' post='2368753']
That's a matter of opinion but the Phantom was a common guitar and bass with Beat Groups in the 60s. The Dave Clark Five & The Hollies (Tony Hicks also played a Phantom XII) both featured the guitar versions and Brian Jones played one on many Stones recordings.
[/quote]It may well have been popular with beat groups, it still looks homemade to me by someone who wanted to build a bass but didn`t have enough wood to make a proper body

That's a fabulous looking instrument!

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1392416545' post='2368654']

[/quote]

Unless you are Robert Fripp no one plays and electric instrument sitting down.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1392458606' post='2368932']
It may well have been popular with beat groups, it still looks homemade to me by someone who wanted to build a bass but didn`t have enough wood to make a proper body
[/quote]

To those from the 'Telstar'/'Dan Dare' generation, it looks very modern. :mellow:

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1392462296' post='2368988']
Looks like they are "available to order" rather than shipping now but loads of links like [url="http://www.soundsliveshop.com/News/Apache-Travel-Bass-Guitars-released-by-Vox"]http://www.soundsliv...released-by-Vox[/url]
[/quote]
These aren't 'reissues' they are just based on the shape of the original and that's where the similarity ends. :(

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that. The Mark IV and teardrop Mark III instruments were definitely iconic and just scream the era they were built in. The same could be said of the Steinburger L2, but unlike the L2 these were not designed by anyone who had to actually play them.

NOS Vox Phantoms are available from Wunjo for £995, they also had them in the Langley Guitar Center for a similar price where they were built to order. Brandoni guitars in Wembley http://www.brandoniguitars.co.uk/index.asp had bought all the existing parts from Italy and it's them putting them together.

I played one in the Langley guitar shop, and I thought it was pretty nice. At the time I was thinking about getting one all in white. So, you could get a NOS one for more than £500 then this chap is asking!

I had a Brandoni assembled Vox Phantom guitar, and it was a great instrument. I don't recall it suffering from neck dive, although I do tend to wear a strap even when playing seated, and the "wedge" on the bottom of the body rested between my thighs so it's not an awkward shape either. Perhaps the earlier models were made from different materials to the Eko made ones, which could account for the differing opinions of the Phantom with respect to neck dive.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1392458606' post='2368932']
It may well have been popular with beat groups, it still looks homemade to me by someone who wanted to build a bass but didn`t have enough wood to make a proper body
[/quote]
Vox were clever in their marketing and asked guitarists and basses what they wanted and it was an exciting time for designers who could create these types of guitars. For anyone who wasn't around at the time this may be difficult to understand so perhaps you had to be there. :)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1392458934' post='2368942']
I'm definitely not Robert Fripp, I checked.

I guess I'm just no one.
[/quote]

I just see it as an instrument to be seen with on stage where you will be playing standing (unless you are Robert Fripp). Therefore the shape doesn't need to accommodate sitting down playing.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1392643634' post='2370949']
Vox were clever in their marketing and asked guitarists and basses what they wanted and it was an exciting time for designers who could create these types of guitars. For anyone who wasn't around at the time this may be difficult to understand so perhaps you had to be there. :)
[/quote]I can sort of see it. I guess it is a shape that is not the norm, so looks weird to the unitiated