Why become a member? ×

I've been told......

Prime_BASS

It's a complicated thing this bass playing lark. In most modern styles of music the bass has moved beyond it's traditional role of filling the gap between the beat and the tune and become a melody instrument in it's own right.

Personally I like to carry a bit of melody when there is space for it, however.... I am still a bass player... I still need to be providing the bridge between the rhythm and the chords, the glue holding everything together so a band sounds like a band and not a collection of soloists. If the 'niggling' is at the expense of holding the groove you might as well be playing guitar....

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1392104881' post='2364610']
.. I still need to be providing the bridge between rhythm and the chords, the glue holding everything together so a band sounds like a band and not a collection of soloists. If the 'niggling' is at the expense of holding the groove you might as well be playing guitar....
[/quote]

Well said, Sir Rob of Camden

I'm a glass half full kind of guy so I don't niggle... I noodle.

If noodling is interpreted as niggling by the rest of the guys, it's just their insecurities showing through...

anyway, it's not *real* noodling/ niggling till it's above the 14th fret!

Niggle away - I've made it my bass playing mission for about 40 years now!! :)

Cheers

Ed

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1392104390' post='2364600']
That I'm not a real bassist, because I go higher than the 5th fret, and "niggle"

I'm obviously aware that it's pure diatribe from some poor misguided padawan. Found it hilarious as well.

Discuss
[/quote]
Ah yes, the old Real Bass Players Don't Go Up The Dusty End theory. I've heard this quite a few times myself actually.
This theory actually has a technical title -- it's known as 'A Load Of Complete And Utter BoIIocks'.

This philosophy inevitably originates with guitarists, to whom the only "real" bassist is by default a guitarist's girlfriend.

I have been told I "play bass like a guitar" which, as well as being a load of arrant testicles, is contradicted by having being told by guitarists that I "play guitar like a bassist". I prefer to think that I play music, with a musical instrument.

Jon.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1392105950' post='2364619']
I'm just a drummer with strings most of the time... Unless the guitarist tries to be too flash, then I head beyond the 5th fret and show 'em how it's done!
[/quote]

+4

This is me, or so I've been told. Our drummer spends most of his time 2 bars ahead of everyone else, 70bpm faster than everyone else & wired off Pop Tarts.

:D

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1392126892' post='2365029']
After my gig on Sunday I was told that I play the bass like a guitar. I don't know how I feel about that :unsure:
[/quote]

This is because bass players by and large are regarded by everyone who doesn't personally play music (and the vast majority that do) as failed guitarists... it's only got four strings, you don't play chords or widdly solos etc... hence when they see a good bass player you are seen to be playing bass like a guitar (ie. well)

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1392131311' post='2365109']
This is because bass players by and large are regarded by everyone who doesn't personally play music (and the vast majority that do) as failed guitarists... it's only got four strings, you don't play chords or widdly solos etc... hence when they see a good bass player you are seen to be playing bass like a guitar (ie. well)
[/quote]

Dunno - I've seen many a bass player playing as though they were playing massive chords/dreadnought guitars. That looks like playing bass like a guitarist.

imo.

[quote name='woodyratm' timestamp='1392133139' post='2365128']
Dunno - I've seen many a bass player playing as though they were playing massive chords/dreadnought guitars. That looks like playing bass like a guitarist.

imo.
[/quote]

Well if he was doing that then he's only got himself to blame... :lol: