Why become a member? ×

Tone Hammer 500 V Streamliner 900

leroydiamond

Currently using the superb Tecamp puma 900 as my main head partnered with a Genz Benz NX2-212T.I am looking to purchase a back-up head that will bring something a little different to the party. Both the TH 500 and the Streamliner get a lot of love both here and on Talkbass. Allegedly both do the vintage vibe really well. I am unable to 'try before you buy' so need some advice from the folk who have experience of either/both these amps before i pull the trigger. Thanks

With those 2 on your list you should also consider the Orange Terror 500 or 1000. Some say they're a 1 trick pony, but it's a brilliant trick! Blew the Streamliner I tried out of the water in every way imho. Never tried a th500 unfortunately.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1391461660' post='2357507']
With those 2 on your list you should also consider the Orange Terror 500 or 1000. Some say they're a 1 trick pony, but it's a brilliant trick! Blew the Streamliner I tried out of the water in every way imho. Never tried a th500 unfortunately.
[/quote]
It is just different sounding and louder, a big minus for me with the Orange was the DI, not great quality and set permanently post eq, sounded thin through the p/a compared to other heads that I have used live, all IMHO of course ;)

Edited by Iana

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1391590164' post='2358792']
On the other hand, I found the Streamliner sounded much better than the Terror heads I tried - no floors wiped this end! ;)
[/quote]
+1 amazing head

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1391590164' post='2358792']
On the other hand, I found the Streamliner sounded much better than the Terror heads I tried - no floors wiped this end! ;)
[/quote]

+1 I've tried several OTBs and just can't get a sound I like. I found the Streamliner to be so much better for me. Shame, as like the aesthetics of the OTB. I ended up getting rid of the Streamliner as it was a bit too similar in tone to my valve amp, and I was increasingly after cleaner tones for my band.

I'd love to try a TH500, as I don't think I've heard a bad word said about them. .

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1391593722' post='2358828']

+1 I've tried several OTBs and just can't get a sound I like. I found the Streamliner to be so much better for me. Shame, as like the aesthetics of the OTB. I ended up getting rid of the Streamliner as it was a bit too similar in tone to my valve amp, and I was increasingly after cleaner tones for my band.

I'd love to try a TH500, as I don't think I've heard a bad word said about them. .
[/quote]

Well 3 out of the 5 knobs on an OTB are next to useless where as the the streamliner's eq is very effective.

Horses for courses I suppose - I didn't like the EQ on the Streamliner! The knobs on the Terror do the job for me once you figure out how a passive EQ operates. Treble at 2 o'clock, Mid at 3 o'clock, Bass at 11 o'clock and they pretty much just stay like that!

It is a very dark sounding amp though, as is the Aguilar by all accounts. You won't like the Terror if you like a lot of high mids and treble!

I have a TH500 and love the full, warm, clear and punchy tone through my Bergantino cabs. I hardly have to EQ the amp to get a great sound out of it. I'm looking to buy another as a backup.

I knoiw there's a lot of love for the Streamliner amps but even though I haven't heard one I know, from the reviews, that I wouldn't like the big, pillowy low end.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1391596625' post='2358879']

Well 3 out of the 5 knobs on an OTB are next to useless...
[/quote]

Thinking on it some more, these words could be used to describe my valve amp, yet I love it. I think the difference is that my valve amp has a great core tone, so not much EQ is needed to get the tones I love.

Edited by Roland Rock

Yeah it's all imho innit. The huge bottom of the Streamliner may have worked with a cab other than mine, but just didn't work for me. Admittedly I never used the DI on my OTB. Just an external DI and a mic on my 4*12 when we were gigging with PA support. It'd be boring if we were all the same so just thought I'd throw the Orange into the mix.

I use a Streamliner with a Schroeder cab (tight low end, low-mid hump, nothing over 4k), and the combination works very well - on the other hand, I've also used it with a Super Twelve, almost the opposite cab, and that worked too, tho I did have to EQ differently.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1391597592' post='2358901']
I have a TH500 and love the full, warm, clear and punchy tone through my Bergantino cabs. I hardly have to EQ the amp to get a great sound out of it. I'm looking to buy another as a backup.

I knoiw there's a lot of love for the Streamliner amps but even though I haven't heard one I know, from the reviews, that I wouldn't like the big, pillowy low end.
[/quote]

I wouldn't describe is as pillowy, or overly scooped. This has been discussed on Talkbass, and there are plenty of amps that have the slight mid scoop (Orange Bass Terror, Fender amps, GK amps, etc etc). It's a famous 'sound'...

There is a scoop. Controls at 11, 1.30 ish, and 12 tends to mean it is then NOT scooped, so then you have the rest of the mid knob to dial in more mids.

The bass is not pillowy, especially with the right cab. At 12 o'clock, the bass is quite 'big'....forceful would be a word I would use.

I imagine a lot of users are using it with a J bass with both pups on full!

If you have the mids on the lowest setting and boost, and drop the bass a touch, the low mid kick is fantastic.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1391599922' post='2358946']

Thinking on it some more, these words could be used to describe my valve amp, yet I love it. I think the difference is that my valve amp has a great core tone, so not much EQ is needed to get the tones I love.
[/quote]

Aye, a great sound if you like it.
For a class D the OTBs power amp is decent enough, but everything else for me makes me pass.
The Genz I have is the opposite.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1391602001' post='2358987']

I wouldn't describe is as pillowy, or overly scooped. This has been discussed on Talkbass, and there are plenty of amps that have the slight mid scoop (Orange Bass Terror, Fender amps, GK amps, etc etc). It's a famous 'sound'...

There is a scoop. Controls at 11, 1.30 ish, and 12 tends to mean it is then NOT scooped, so then you have the rest of the mid knob to dial in more mids.

The bass is not pillowy, especially with the right cab. At 12 o'clock, the bass is quite 'big'....forceful would be a word I would use.

I imagine a lot of users are using it with a J bass with both pups on full!

If you have the mids on the lowest setting and boost, and drop the bass a touch, the low mid kick is fantastic.
[/quote]

The classic 'fender passive tone stack' it's just not for me though.
But agree with the comment about the J bass on full. A scooped sound in to that kind of EQ will just make it even more apparent.

Thanks for all the replies. I am swinging towards the Tone Hammer at this stage, as I can put it through its paces for 30 days with the option of full refund once purchased from Thomann, so nothing to loose ( would much rather put money into the local economy, but the choice of bass gear around here is extremely limited :(). Lots of love for the Streamliner on here to, but as Genz Benz are no more,I am hesitant to pull the trigger on one.

Edited by leroydiamond

[quote name='leroydiamond' timestamp='1391678830' post='2359960']
Thanks for all the replies. I am swinging towards the Tone Hammer at this stage, as I can put it through its paces for 30 days with the option of full refund once purchased from Thomann, so nothing to loose ( would much rather put money into the local economy, but the choice of bass gear around here is extremely limited :(). Lots of love for the Streamliner on here to, but as Genz Benz are no more,I am hesitant to pull the trigger on one.
[/quote]
To try them side by side at bass direct is quite revealing, to pick them up and to operate them is also a useful comparison. Without wishing to cause any offence I thought the TH500 felt less well made and was certainly not as fat as the Streamliner, bear in mind I went there too buy the TH500 after Ken Jung recommended it to me! There is obviously personal taste to consider here :)

[quote name='Iana' timestamp='1391725589' post='2360754']
To try them side by side at bass direct is quite revealing, to pick them up and to operate them is also a useful comparison. Without wishing to cause any offence I thought the TH500 felt less well made and was certainly not as fat as the Streamliner, bear in mind I went there too buy the TH500 after Ken Jung recommended it to me! There is obviously personal taste to consider here :)
[/quote]

You folk on that side of the pond are fortunate to be in a position to compare gear in the flesh. It really is the only way to resolve ambiguity and find what fits best to match requirements. No such luxury on my patch unfortunately and purchasing sight unseen is becoming pretty much the norm. I have decided on the TH 500 from Thomann as their 30 day no quibble return policy just seals the deal. I have used this option in the past and not a problem, so little risk involved. If it does not work out, back it will go.
No doubt the Streamliner gets excellent reviews and does it for many basschatters. I guess the fact that these amps are sadly no longer in production and Genz Benz are no more, sows some seeds of doubt as to the wisdom of going down this road. On the other hand the blow out prices on these are fantastic-great value.
Thanks for everyone for their comments and feedback. As always appreciated

Edited by leroydiamond

Thoman are great you will have no issues with returns as long as you return the amp, instructions and packaging in as new condition. I have used them several times and have never been disappointed. Hope you like the amp and don't have to return it though :)