Why become a member? ×

Flea to join 1D?

skej21

RCHP aren't bigger than the Superbowl. I should imagine if you're offered that gig you don't turn it down, and you don't mess them around. That's professional. There may have been a number of issues since, but has Janet Jackson had any real attempt at her performing career since her infamous "wardrobe malfunction"? Not that I recall, and in the closely knit entertainment industry, a large part of that can be put down to not getting the job done.

[quote name='scalpy' timestamp='1391539465' post='2358366']
RCHP aren't bigger than the Superbowl. I should imagine if you're offered that gig you don't turn it down, and you don't mess them around. That's professional. There may have been a number of issues since, but has Janet Jackson had any real attempt at her performing career since her infamous "wardrobe malfunction"? Not that I recall, and in the closely knit entertainment industry, a large part of that can be put down to not getting the job done.
[/quote]

Forget Janet Jackson what about that awful warbling that we got last year or a few years ago when that woman did their national anthem.

How many people watched the SuperBowl to see RHCP playing live?

Edit: Cristine Agrilera

Edited by TimR

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1391547000' post='2358512']
I cant find a clip online but I remember gruff rhys wearing a power ranger helmet during the super furry animals e4 on the beach gig years back. he sounded amazing and I don't think the kids jumping out really noticed he was taking the piss.
[/quote]

Unlike Rod Stewart and The Faces who memorably started playing football during a TOTP performance at a time when it still gave the impression of being live music.

I'm guessing RHCP had the gig to raise awareness for a forthcoming album release - I think it quite reasonable for Flea to get the 'ump over being made to mime when he would have preferred to play live just like the footballers - or were they miming as well. Oh well whatever - good for him sticking up for live music.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1391557142' post='2358675']
Poor guys. All that agonising over whether to allow themselves to be forced to mime. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

I don't think they were looking for sympathy. A lot of people have been giving it the whole "What the f***?", so he explained. They don't mime, but this was something they'd really love to do, and they couldn't do it without miming, so they made an exception (and every rule has an exception).

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1391557877' post='2358685']
So let me get this right. They don't mime on principle, er, except when they mime because they want to. Got it.
[/quote]

They don't mime on principle, except when they get a once in a lifetime opportunity, where you aren't allowed to play live. It's not like they abandoned completely their principles - they had a bit of deliberation, and decided that for a few reasons, they would do it. As others have said here, they would do it too. I bet they wouldn't mime down the pub on a Saturday night either.

You guys make me chuckle. No matter how big RHCP are, they were humbled at the opportunity to play at the largest sports event in the world and didn't want to turn down the gig because they insist on playing live, Anthony got to sing live and they recorded the track especially for the gig. I don't get the issue; would you have wanted Flea and the rest to not play? I very much doubt such an event would be dictated to by a guest act (Bruno Mars was the hired artist)!!

When all of you guys make it, I trust you will be turning down such once-in-a-career opportunities to play on such a stage :rolleyes:

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1391559462' post='2358706']
You guys make me chuckle. No matter how big RHCP are, they were humbled at the opportunity to play at the largest sports event in the world and didn't want to turn down the gig because they insist on playing live, Anthony got to sing live and they recorded the track especially for the gig. I don't get the issue; would you have wanted Flea and the rest to not play? I very much doubt such an event would be dictated to by a guest act (Bruno Mars was the hired artist)!!

When all of you guys make it, I trust you will be turning down such once-in-a-career opportunities to play on such a stage :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Lighten up! You've got to admit that there's something more than a little silly about Miltys insistence that Flea hates people who mime (apart from if the gig is REALLY big, and lots of people are watching) and that the RHCP don't mime on principle (apart from when they do)...

"we're totally vegetarian, man, apart from last Tuesday when someone cooked us these awesome steaks which we felt really bad about eating, but yeah, totally meat free diet man... "

Edited by uncle psychosis

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1391560087' post='2358708']
Lighten up! You've got to admit that there's something more than a little silly about Miltys insistence that Flea hates people who mime (apart from if the gig is REALLY big, and lots of people are watching) and that the RHCP don't mime on principle (apart from when they do)...
[/quote]

I never insisted that Flea hates people who mime. Have you read the blog? You probably should, instead of lambasting me. I gave a few reasons on the other thread on this topic as to why I thought they mimed, and I was spot on, as confirmed by the blog, which I posted for all to read. If you still have issues, put it in a letter and address it to Flea.

This Often happens out of Practical necessity. I worked as a stage lighting tech on many productions including live music award ceremonies. In this instance there just isn't enough time to adjust the levels between artists so some it all of the acts will have some or all parts played from a recording.
It works really well, unless of coarse something goes wrong, like the only guitarists strap breaks!

Technically, the Red Hot's and Bruno Mars played the track.....Just not at that time....

There is no way you could expect to put on a full, professional live performance to millions of people in that short a timescale without issues or perhaps a sullied performance due to inclement weather.

The super bowl half time show has become 'legend' in the USA and the NFL will only want to encourage that for the fans and deliver. This is really more about the expectation of the audience and the actual ability to deliver a high quality show in such a short time with limited kit (I am pretty sure that they won't have been allowed to set up all of their onstage backline and FOH kit - which takes hours of labour!)