Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Flea to join 1D?

skej21

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1391563673' post='2358729']
This Often happens out of Practical necessity. I worked as a stage lighting tech on many productions including live music award ceremonies. In this instance there just isn't enough time to adjust the levels between artists so some it all of the acts will have some or all parts played from a recording.
It works really well, unless of coarse something goes wrong, like the only guitarists strap breaks!
[/quote]

I've seen this argument come up a couple of times and it makes me chuckle.

Seperate sets of wireless and amps kept out of the way. Levels determined seperately pre-game during the sound check. I assume they've got a budget big enough for atleast one channel per performer so no level changing is needed. I don't see how it's all that complicated? Infact I'm pretty sure that many if not most of us here could organise it with a decent enough budget.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1391608097' post='2359115']
I've seen this argument come up a couple of times and it makes me chuckle.

Seperate sets of wireless and amps kept out of the way. Levels determined seperately pre-game during the sound check. I assume they've got a budget big enough for atleast one channel per performer so no level changing is needed. I don't see how it's all that complicated? Infact I'm pretty sure that many if not most of us here could organise it with a decent enough budget.
[/quote]

And I assume that you would be:

Building the stage
Rigging lights and lighting consoles
rigging PA and integrating sound (considerable amount of cabinets for sub and mid) into the stadium sound system
laying all the cable runs
Providing media integration for TV audio and visual
then weather proofing it all

in 10 minutes.....

Ultimately - in the timescale, playing live and making it professional and slick was unrealistic. Whether you think less of the Red Hot's miming is up to the individual.

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1391611107' post='2359185']
It's not ELO which you have to amplify...it's just a bass, a guitar and drums (not even keyboards). Seems to be an impossible job apparently.....
[/quote]

If you have 15 minutes, how long do you want to spend setting up gear? It wouldn't need to be more than 5 minutes, because you'll need another 5 to clear it all away again, leaving you with just 5 minutes to actually entertain people, which is what you're there to do.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1391617447' post='2359293']
Funny sort of principles then. Seems more like a preference to me.
[/quote]

Every rule has it's exception though, doesn't it? Any one of us could easily say "I'm never going to mime", but what if you were asked to be the entertainment at possibly one of the biggest sports events, and not only that, but you're a massive fan and follower of the sport? Are you going to say "Cheers for the offer, but I have this rule..." or would you think very carefully about whether being made to mime made it so much less desirable as to turn it down?

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1391619556' post='2359338']
So they didn't have enough time to set up a stage at the Super Bowl.. Hmm I remember 2010.. Pretty massive stage show here.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScA2FqJn9ic[/media]
[/quote]

There's a bit of a difference between setting up a stage, and then rigging up all the equipment that the musicians need. A stage can simply be wheeled onto the grounds, amps and instruments require mics and power, and it all takes time to set up. When I've seen them live, it's usually taken about 30-40 minutes to set up all their gear after the support acts.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1391621476' post='2359370']
For goodness sake Milty. If The Who could pull off something like that for a half-time show then it can clearly be done. There might be a million good reasons why the Chilies agreed to mime their spot, and that's their choice, but it wasn't because they were 'forced' into it was it?
[/quote]

If I ever used to word "forced", then I retract that. Their options were to mime the gig, or not do it at all. They wanted to play the gig, so they had no choice but to mime.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1391619944' post='2359342']
There's a bit of a difference between setting up a stage, and then rigging up all the equipment that the musicians need. A stage can simply be wheeled onto the grounds, amps and instruments require mics and power, and it all takes time to set up. When I've seen them live, it's usually taken about 30-40 minutes to set up all their gear after the support acts.
[/quote]

Lights require power too.. And who says other things can't be wheeled on? I mean that stage is pretty massive, it's not like they weren't capable of wheeling on some power supplies :P

Also, why did they have to be mic'd up, put everything through the PA via DI and it's fine :)

Now I do understand the logistical nightmare behind playing live but I'm sure with enough planning and preparation then it could have been done if RHCP had really fought for it.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1391617447' post='2359293']

Funny sort of principles then. Seems more like a preference to me.
[/quote]

That's pretty much what principles are aren't they?

We're human beings, we all have many different principles. Often they come into conflict and we have to decide which is more important. That's the trick.

1. We will never mine.
2. We would never turn down the opportunity to be on the TV in front of the whole world.
3. We'll never play a gig that takes longer to set up than we're playing for.
4. We'll never do a free gig.

Some perfectly good principles. But which one is the overriding principle? What order of importance are they?

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1391622391' post='2359385']
Lights require power too.. And who says other things can't be wheeled on? I mean that stage is pretty massive, it's not like they weren't capable of wheeling on some power supplies :P

Also, why did they have to be mic'd up, put everything through the PA via DI and it's fine :)
[/quote]

Because that's how they set up. There's lots of things they could have done to make setting up easier, but what's easier than any of them is keeping the setup the same, and recording your performance in advance. Even if they had made it that they could set up in a few minutes, they still wouldn't be allowed to. As was said before - they don't want any screw-ups.

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1391626083' post='2359434']
That's pretty much what principles are aren't they?

We're human beings, we all have many different principles. Often they come into conflict and we have to decide which is more important. That's the trick.

1. We will never mine.
2. We would never turn down the opportunity to be on the TV in front of the whole world.
3. We'll never play a gig that takes longer to set up than we're playing for.
4. We'll never do a free gig.

Some perfectly good principles. But which one is the overriding principle? What order of importance are they?
[/quote]

Good point.

Nope. When he said it's best not to have any rules. Leaves your options open and means no one can have a go at you for being a hypocrite if, off the top of my head, you claim to hate miming but will do it anyway. No rules means you just never get drawn into such a stupid argument in the first place.

C'mon Milty, you didn't think we were going to agree did you? :lol: ;)

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1391628392' post='2359479']
Nope. When he said it's best not to have any rules. Leaves your options open and means no one can have a go at you for being a hypocrite if, off the top of my head, you claim to hate miming but will do it anyway. No rules means you just never get drawn into such a stupid argument in the first place.

C'mon Milty, you didn't think we were going to agree did you? :lol: ;)
[/quote]

No, I didn't think we'd agree. That's the least I expect.

Look, it's really quite simple - If something we feel strongly about comes head to head with something we desire, something has to give. I'm sure most of us have a personal policy of not killing people, but what if, for some bazaar reason, one of your family members was bound and gagged on a chair, with a gun man aiming right at them. You have a gun - what do you do? Uphold your policy of not killing, and allow your family member to be killed, or to save your relative, make an exception?

Obviously, that's quite an extreme example, but I feel it serves it's purpose well.

Easy. Don't have a principle about not killing anyone who threatens to kill you or your family. I certainly don't, though I'd prefer not to have to.

But this is getting silly now, just as it was silly for Flea to make his pronouncements against miming. It was a time bomb just waiting to go off. :lol: