Why become a member? ×

Flea to join 1D?

skej21

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1391629289' post='2359501']
I'm sure most of us have a personal policy of not killing people, but what if, for some bazaar reason, one of your family members was bound and gagged on a chair, with a gun man aiming right at them. You have a gun - what do you do? Uphold your policy of not killing, and allow your family member to be killed, or to save your relative, make an exception
[/quote]
One thing I never say ever is never say never...ever. If you did say never say never ever you would limit yourself by saying never...ever.

Why limit your options....

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1391632732' post='2359601']

One thing I never say ever is never say never...ever. If you did say never say never ever you would limit yourself by saying never...ever.

Why limit your options....
[/quote]

As I say we're human beings. We're not computers with hard coded morals. Say whatever you want and revaluate as you gain life experience. It's not a weakness, it shows that you are able to develop as a person.

Flea has made an admirable stand up to the Super Bowl he's managed to stick to his principles. Something has happened that has given him reason to evaluate his position and he's qualified that in his satement.

Also, different stadiums have different access to services, utilities and facilities and access to those services, utilities and facilities *could* have been a factor in the NFL decision.

After all, it was the NFL that decided the deal for the show......probably lead by the massed media and the unpredictability for any of the RHCP's to shout a profanity or lob out a cock onstage, live to the nation.......

I don't think that the NFL take these decision's likely and neither do the RHCP.

[quote name='aende' timestamp='1391698415' post='2360325']
Also, different stadiums have different access to services, utilities and facilities and access to those services, utilities and facilities *could* have been a factor in the NFL decision.

After all, it was the NFL that decided the deal for the show......probably lead by the massed media and the unpredictability for any of the RHCP's to shout a profanity or lob out a cock onstage, live to the nation.......

I don't think that the NFL take these decision's likely and neither do the RHCP.
[/quote]

Apparently it's been policy for the last 10 years for the half-time act to mime. It's not something they negotiate on, that's just how it is. The vocals were live, though, everything else was prerecorded. I'd say they were more concerned with some technical problem than one of them actually whipping it out, although miming does kind of reduce their ability to shout something "unrehearsed".

To be fair though, I could understand giving up on your principles if you're a new band just getting on the scene and get offered a HUGE gig...

But the RHCP are hardly struggling to fill a gig. They do headline stadium tours around the world and have done for a LONG time. I doubt they really NEED the opportunity.

IMO, they're worse than One Direction. One Direction are riding their wave of success and are miming regularly because they don't have enough talent not to.

The RHCP are sacrificing their own, publicly expressed principles and belittling musicians who can play (including themselves) by miming. Desperately grabbing at some extra cash and trying to get a moment in a slightly larger limelight wouldn't be worth it in their situation IMO.

Also, if you are happy to throw your principles out the window for the dollars, be honest and say 'screw it, they offered us too much to turn the chance down!'... Don't start tweeting pretending like you were somehow FORCED to mime. You could have just said no if you genuinely didn't agree with it.

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1391700762' post='2360374']
To be fair though, I could understand giving up on your principles if you're a new band just getting on the scene and get offered a HUGE gig...

But the RHCP are hardly struggling to fill a gig. They do headline stadium tours around the world and have done for a LONG time. I doubt they really NEED the opportunity.

IMO, they're worse than One Direction. One Direction are riding their wave of success and are miming regularly because they don't have enough talent not to.

The RHCP are sacrificing their own, publicly expressed principles and belittling musicians who can play (including themselves) by miming. Desperately grabbing at some extra cash and trying to get a moment in a slightly larger limelight wouldn't be worth it in their situation IMO.

Also, if you are happy to throw your principles out the window for the dollars, be honest and say 'screw it, they offered us too much to turn the chance down!'... Don't start tweeting pretending like you were somehow FORCED to mime. You could have just said no if you genuinely didn't agree with it.
[/quote]

They don't pay the acts of the half-time show. It was never about money. http://business.time.com/2014/02/02/bruno-mars-red-hot-chili-peppers-super-bowl-halftime-show/

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1391701576' post='2360395']

They don't pay the acts of the half-time show. It was never about money. http://business.time.com/2014/02/02/bruno-mars-red-hot-chili-peppers-super-bowl-halftime-show/
[/quote]

So they threw their principles out of the window (sorry, were MADE to) just to play to a bunch of people who have spent the last two decades not listening to their music whilst contradicting themselves publicly to their existing fans?

That makes no sense AT ALL.

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1391701867' post='2360403']
So they threw their principles out of the window (sorry, were MADE to) just to play to a bunch of people who have spent the last two decades not listening to their music whilst contradicting themselves publicly to their existing fans?

That makes no sense AT ALL.
[/quote]

Because you can't understand something, and seem completely intent on being overly cynical on the whole thing without actually reading the links posted and the discussion on this thread, does not mean that it makes no sense.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1391703271' post='2360423']

Because you can't understand something, and seem completely intent on being overly cynical on the whole thing without actually reading the links posted and the discussion on this thread, does not mean that it makes no sense.
[/quote]

True. I don't understand hypocrites but it must make sense because there are plenty of them floating about!

Plus, playing (sorry, miming!) for free so you can line your pockets later thanks to the exposure is still money grabbing. Premeditated money grabbing.

Edited by skej21

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1391703606' post='2360428']
True. I don't understand hypocrites but it must make sense because there are plenty of them floating about!

Plus, playing (sorry, miming!) for free so you can line your pockets later thanks to the exposure is still money grabbing. Premeditated money grabbing.
[/quote]

So the only thing that was alright for them to do was say "No thanks buddy"? Is that why you weren't playing the Superbowl half time show then? :lol:

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1391704018' post='2360431']
It would have been worse from my point of view if they had plugged in and mimed. At least they weren`t hiding the fact.
[/quote]

Exactly. That's Flea's point. Frankly, if they had plugged in, it would have saved a world of hassle.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1391704100' post='2360433']

So the only thing that was alright for them to do was say "No thanks buddy"? Is that why you weren't playing the Superbowl half time show then? :lol:
[/quote]

I would have done it, without a doubt. I just wouldn't have taken to twitter afterwards to cry about how I really didn't want to...

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1391706706' post='2360469']

I never saw that happen. Maybe you follow a different Flea to me.
[/quote]

Maybe.

'No trickery. No choice, but no trickery'... 'No choice' implies they didn't want to but had 'no choice'.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1391707078' post='2360472']
Maybe.

'No trickery. No choice, but no trickery'... 'No choice' implies they didn't want to but had 'no choice'.
[/quote]

Only if that's how you want to read it. Admittedly, it's a fairly vague statement. But he meant that they didn't have a choice when it came down to miming or playing live. It was either mime, or do without.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1391708752' post='2360497']
Only if that's how you want to read it. Admittedly, it's a fairly vague statement. But he meant that they didn't have a choice when it came down to miming or playing live. It was either mime, or do without.
[/quote]

And how do you know to read it differently?

I took the statement to mean that they wanted to do the gig, but had to comprimise their principles. If i had the chance they had, i would have thrown the priniples out of the window. Maybe they would have been better releasing the statement before they did the set though. I have principles. but i reckon if the right circumstances arose, i could probably update them, as i am sure m,any people would

Did the Clash ever mime?
Wasn't it JJ cale that said I'm a Musician not an actor and refused to mime to anything (not sure about the videos lol)

Flea and the Chilis have done enough good things for music.. maybe it was fun for them to do it that way.. I'm not knocking them
As has been said they have proved they can do it live, so who really cares that much. :)

edit: sorry I haven't read all this thread .

Edited by Highfox

it was but a half-time entertainment slot during a sports event...

entertainment...

is it such a big deal that they mimed along to tracks they previously recorded, in order to ensure everything went smoothly and without fuss (for the NFL organisers)?
I guess many of you think so.
I don't. :)

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1391710272' post='2360527']
Flea and the Chilis have done enough good things for music.. maybe it was fun for them to do it that way.. I'm not knocking them
As has been said they have proved they can do it live, so who really cares that much. :)
[/quote]

That's the thing - I'd be surprised if anyone cared that they mimed that slot or not, the fuss has been all about them doing it after being so critical about others miming in the past.

People don't like hypocrisy.

It's a good lesson in not mouthing off about something unless you're serious about sticking to your principles - especially when it's all so trivial.

Besides, has there ever been a 'live' music video in the history of the genre? This show was just a glorified music video really.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1391727785' post='2360794']
That's the thing - I'd be surprised if anyone cared that they mimed that slot or not, the fuss has been all about them doing it after being so critical about others miming in the past.

People don't like hypocrisy.

It's a good lesson in not mouthing off about something unless you're serious about sticking to your principles - especially when it's all so trivial.

Besides, has there ever been a 'live' music video in the history of the genre? This show was just a glorified music video really.
[/quote]

There are music videos made up of clips of live performances, but it's always well edited to make it fit with the recorded track. Yes, it was a glorified music video, that's all the NFL wanted, I suppose. A bit of a spectacle. Something to keep you entertained while you drink your beer and eat your nachos.

Have they really been critical of others in the past, though? It was my understanding (I could be entirely wrong, of course) that they were vocal about why they didn't like to mime, but that they had never said anywhere publicly that certain artists mime, and that this is a bad thing.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1391727785' post='2360794']
[/quote]

You hit the nail in the head with your last bit there: it's really unimportant, so why the anger? (not you personally).
Sticking to your principles is a good thing... but some principles are a bit more serious than others, and who can say they have never changed their views with time? I can think of a few things I said I'd never do when I was younger, that now I really don't care about and do.

You also mentioned it was a glorified live video. Well, great! Glad you brought that comparison up. Music videos consist typically on a lot of miming whenever the band is shown with instruments... so why is it a big deal here?

The fact they were not plugged in indicates they were not trying to fool anyone into believing it was a live performance. Fair enough, I say. I mean, I woudl not have cared if they were plugged but turned off... but if they felt that distinction was important, fine.

So, they changed their minds and accepted to mime "live", not at a RHCP gig, but at a sports event during the half-time entertainment section... whoop de doo! :lol: