Why become a member? ×

Used Turntable advice, any experts out there?

skidder652003

HI Folks
so i really fancy getting a turntable again! Like a muppet I sold my Rega P3 a few years ago for about £150 quid on ebay and have regretted it ever since. Unfortunately my budget is a round £130 what with Christmas and everything. Does anyone have experience of a turntable at around that budget used price? I really fancy a Pioneer PL-12D, anyone got one? Or any other model for that kind of price?

Cheers, Steve

If you can find a good cond one the NAD 533 turntable is more or less the Rega Planar 2 with a different coat on. As basic as the Rega so very little can go wrong with them.
I didn't use one for over a year but had forgotten to take the belt off the pulleys before doing so, it lost the tension. One new belt later & it was good as new.
You'll know already about how good a Rega sounds.

I still have my Rega Planar 3 which i bought new in 1984 and had it upgraded about 7 years ago and it's still going strong. I agree with the previous post that a NAD 533 would be a good buy or a Rega Planar 2 which are a lot cheaper then the P3. Although the Pioneer PL-12D was a good turntable in it's day it's nowhere near as good as the NAD or Rega P2 which would be a far better buy.

Ebay do, search for completed listings.

Ed: rough guessing, table alone £50-150 depending on condition, is the wind blowing the right way, etc. SME £200-400. Whole thing, £300 to maybe £500, if someone has trouble resisting. Don't take that as gospel, I'm not exactly following the trends.

Edited by Michael J

[quote name='2x18' timestamp='1391417592' post='2356774']
This thread has just reminded me I have an old Thorens TD-150 with a SME 3009 arm and Shure M95 cartridge in a Teak housing stored away, anybody have any idea of its value?

Will.
[/quote]

You could try joining this forum [url="http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20"]http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20[/url]
Many experts on high-end hi-fi & they also have a buy/sell area for members, a mate of mine has two Linn systems from there which he paid a lot less than the going rate for.

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1391369753' post='2356395']
HI Folks
so i really fancy getting a turntable again! Like a muppet I sold my Rega P3 a few years ago for about £150 quid on ebay and have regretted it ever since. Unfortunately my budget is a round £130 what with Christmas and everything. Does anyone have experience of a turntable at around that budget used price? I really fancy a Pioneer PL-12D, anyone got one? Or any other model for that kind of price?

Cheers, Steve
[/quote]
I have the Pioneer PL-11, which I think might be the slightly older model. I don't know if I can comment much on it's sound, as the rest of my system isn't great and I haven't listened to a lot of different decks, but it's certainly solid and functional and has never given me any bother.

No disrespect intended to the posters above but I have owned a P3 and it is in my opinion much better than the P2 or the Nad 533 (friends of mine have owned both these models) and worth saving up a bit more to get, if you want to go down that Rega style route. I expect a half decent cartridge in the P2 would be fine but as you've already had the P3 then you'll definitely miss the nice glass platter! I don't know that Pioneer turntable and I like its retro looks! But there is a lot more to go wrong on that kind of turntable so if price is king then maybe better sticking to the Rega style where there isn't really much to go balls up?

My P3 is actually under the bed as I got fed up changing speed and replaced it, but I can't bring myself to sell it yet as it was a present...

Pro-Ject do a great new turntable for about £150, the Elemental I believe. Bought it for my girlfriend for her birthday (her dad had an amazing collection). Comes with a built in phono stage if you go for the USB version. Comes with a decent enough Ortofon cartridge too.

I don't know huge amounts about used turntables but did a fair bit of research on this price for new ones.

Just to add for the OP that I've suggested the 533, which I believe would have to be used as it's discontinued, as the £ saved could go towards a new stylus. I wouldn't trust the history of a used stylus on any of my vinyl :)
However, I would agree that it won't be as good as the Planar 3, otherwise Rega wouldn't have made the 3 and stayed with the 2.
I've also had the Project range suggested several times but Practical Hi-fi of Preston (now part of Sevenoaks IIRC) said I didn't nee done after looking over my NAD - just a new belt - and they reckoned the NAD was better than the Projects FWIW; which I found incredibly refreshingly honest & kudos to them.

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1391422905' post='2356850']
No disrespect intended to the posters above but I have owned a P3 and it is in my opinion much better than the P2 or the Nad 533 (friends of mine have owned both these models) and worth saving up a bit more to get, if you want to go down that Rega style route. I expect a half decent cartridge in the P2 would be fine but as you've already had the P3 then you'll definitely miss the nice glass platter! I don't know that Pioneer turntable and I like its retro looks! But there is a lot more to go wrong on that kind of turntable so if price is king then maybe better sticking to the Rega style where there isn't really much to go balls up?
[/quote]
I totally agree that the P3 is far better than the P2 or NAD but the op won't get one for the £130 he wants to spend on a turntable. Also i'd want to a new cartridge which would be another £70 for a Rega Bias 2 or similar. For the budget available the P2 or NAD is an excellent choice and is possible to be found for that sort of money. The Pioneer PL12 was the next step up from a Garrard SP25 in it's day and not up there with the performance of the either the P2 or the NAD.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1391426065' post='2356891']
I totally agree that the P3 is far better than the P2 or NAD but the op won't get one for the £130 he wants to spend on a turntable. Also i'd want to a new cartridge which would be another £70 for a Rega Bias 2 or similar. For the budget available the P2 or NAD is an excellent choice and is possible to be found for that sort of money. The Pioneer PL12 was the next step up from a Garrard SP25 in it's day and not up there with the performance of the either the P2 or the NAD.
[/quote]

I agree :) I would definitely buy a new cartridge, or just a stylus if the cartridge was ok. My thinking was that as you tend to hang onto turntables for many many years, then I would advise saving the extra cash now and get a 2nd hand P3 as it is a [i]noticeable[/i] difference up in build quality and sound reproduction. Probably not night and day though I agree.

[quote name='muttley' timestamp='1391426081' post='2356892']
Fancy a project?
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thorens-160-turntable-/221362786843?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Turntables&hash=item338a40121b"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item338a40121b[/url]
[/quote]

saw that, just up the road too....interesting!

Just to show that it is possible... :)
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thorens-TD160-Turntable-/271384000145?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Turntables&hash=item3f2fbf3691&nma=true&si=VO%252BkOESrNH1srkJG%252BmLo5fO6gY4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=p2047675.l2557[/url]

And this, albeit with three days to go
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thorens-Td-160-Turntable/131107550771?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222006%26algo%3DSIC.FITP%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20183%26meid%3D4575416806190411574%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D9057%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D271384000145"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thorens-Td-160-Turntable/131107550771?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222006%26algo%3DSIC.FITP%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20183%26meid%3D4575416806190411574%26pid%3D100011%26prg%3D9057%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D271384000145[/url]

Now I've got GAS for a turntable. D'oh!

Edited by discreet

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1391430646' post='2356992']
Don't rush into it with the budget you have. What's the rush ?
Rega/project/ NAD all fit the bill.
Checkout pink triangle also on eBay
[/quote]
A working Pink Triangle even without tone arm is well beyond the op's budget. Very nice turntable but up there with the Linn LP12 money wise unfortunately.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1391420046' post='2356802']
You could try joining this forum [url="http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20"]http://www.pinkfishm...isplay.php?f=20[/url]
Many experts on high-end hi-fi & they also have a buy/sell area for members, a mate of mine has two Linn systems from there which he paid a lot less than the going rate for.
[/quote]

Cheers Stu --- Just joined!