Why become a member? ×

New MXR Bass Preamp! ohhhhhh!

stacedabass

[quote name='Lewmorg' timestamp='1390408985' post='2345124']
Shame its such a short teaser of a video! Looks and sounds awesome but I'm yet to see a MXR video where I've thought one of their pedals doesn't sound amazing lol!
[/quote]

Quite interested in this I have to admit

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1390409744' post='2345144']
Looks cool. I'm having Tom at COG build me something similar to this but inculding a compressor and the guts from my thumpinator.
[/quote]

Interesting........

the longer video is up now. Unfortunately, the most obvious effect that can be heard is that the processed signal is much louder than the bypassed one. Sure, I hear some EQ too, but I'd rather hear the mid sweep etc with some sort of unity gain tweaked. As much as I like MXR (have had quite a few of their pedal, kept two and have another two on their way), I think they fished on the fact that for most people the louder signal will sound better. Again, I understand that boosting is one of the main jobs of a preamp pedal. Another complaint is that the Bass control is centred at 40Hz. Everybody seems to be doing that, I think it's too low.
Still, I look forward to trying this thing, although I don't see myself buying it. Love the colour.

[quote name='such' timestamp='1390491155' post='2345986']
the longer video is up now. Unfortunately, the most obvious effect that can be heard is that the processed signal is much louder than the bypassed one. Sure, I hear some EQ too, but I'd rather hear the mid sweep etc with some sort of unity gain tweaked. As much as I like MXR (have had quite a few of their pedal, kept two and have another two on their way), I think they fished on the fact that for most people the louder signal will sound better. Again, I understand that boosting is one of the main jobs of a preamp pedal. Another complaint is that the Bass control is centred at 40Hz. Everybody seems to be doing that, I think it's too low.
Still, I look forward to trying this thing, although I don't see myself buying it. Love the colour.
[/quote]

Totally agree with all of this. The pedal does sound good but the volume difference is huge, and apart from that the bass already sounds good without it. It would be great to hear it how it compares with the raw signal with the volume kept in check, and in use with some drums. I think the 40Hz boost that's popular right now is an attempt to keep up with subs you hear in electronic music, it's an attempt to keep things contemporary. In a live setting it's probably more useful that in the studio.

I would compare this to something like the Tri-Logic Bass Preamp, which more or less does the same thing, but it doesn't have the DI, and there are 2 different mid settings, instead of the sweep. I use the Tri-Logic all the time and I love what it does, I wonder how much (or how little) character this pedal adds to a clean signal in comparison.

[quote]I really like the fact that it's essentially the m80 with sweep able mids and no drive- I rarely use mine and would rather use a dedicated pedal [/quote]

I think this is what I was trying to ask earlier. Is this definitely the case? If so, it may be a dead cert. Still flirting with the b7k, but not sure what I'd use it for; I just love it.