Why become a member? ×

Bravewood Basses - As Good As They Look?

sblueplanet

[quote][color=#FFFFFF][font=Arial, Helvetica][size=1]Q. [/size][/font][/color][size=3][color=#FFCC33][font=Arial, Helvetica]'do you ever offer left hand guitars...?[/font][/color]
[color=#FFFFFF][font=Arial, Helvetica]A. [/font][/color][/size][color=#FF0000][font=Arial, Helvetica][size=1][size=3]Due to the fact that an important part of setting up a guitar or bass is actually playing the thing, I don't feel I can properly evaluate an instrument that I cannot play.....and I cannot play left handedly, so I'm afraid not[/size].[/size][/font][/color][/quote]

From the FAQ section of the Bravewood site, sorry mate.

[url="http://www.bravewoodguitars.co.uk/FAQpage.html"]http://www.bravewood...uk/FAQpage.html[/url]

I think that's pretty lame actually.
Im a lefty and most of my playing has been done on right-hand instruments by flipping them round and playing them upside down. This doesn't stop me from setting them up to make sure they play well.

His excuse makes no sense to me. Never heard of a Luthier who can't make an instrument because of its orientation.

Edited by sblueplanet

[quote name='sblueplanet' timestamp='1390088564' post='2341439']
I think that's pretty lame actually.
Im a lefty and most of my playing has been done on right-hand instruments by flipping them round and playing them upside down. This doesn't stop me from setting them up to make sure they play well.

His excuse makes no sense to me. Never heard of a Luthier who can't make an instrument of its orientation.
[/quote]
I take it you don't know that the guitar style instrument was invented by a left handed man. Its designed so your most hand with the most dexterity is doing the fretting. So in fact all right handed players are in effect playing left handed.

So as a lefty, stop flipping the instrument over, you should play it as it was designed.

(If only life were so simple) :D

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1390125623' post='2341601']
I hope he's managed to get rid of the nibbling rodents from his workshop...

[/quote]

Phurr.. where have you been!?? This is called "shabby chic"! They rave about it in the John Lewis catalogue and in "Home and Garden"!

[quote name='thebassist' timestamp='1390128833' post='2341651']
I've had two Jazz Basses and moved them both on very quickly. They were very, very good basses but, and I know this might sound weird, but I always felt a bit fake playing them.

I would certainly buy another one but I'd want it 10/10 condition - no ageing.
[/quote]

This is why I sold my Crinson. Utterly gorgeous bass to play, but it was beautifully relic'd and I don't do relic'd. Despite which, it had "Crinson" on the headstock, which I liked.

The Bravewood I had was one of the very few unrelic'd instruments he's made, and it was an absolute cracker, right up there with the best basses I've had. I'd have it still were it not that it said "Fender" on the headstock and I don't do fake.

Edited by Happy Jack

Just spotted these Sadowsky lefty's located in Belgium here. [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f182/feeler-2-sadowsky-nyc-lefty-basses-pj4-jj4-972864/"]http://www.talkbass....pj4-jj4-972864/[/url]
No relicing here, just beautiful high end basses that will hold there value more than most, assuming they are as advertised

SORRY just noticed these have been sold :blush:

Edited by leroydiamond

[quote name='Noisyjon' timestamp='1390165656' post='2342267']
My 2p worth is go for a nice Fender CS bass. A [color=#ff0000][b]good [/b][/color]FCS bass blows a Bravewood away IMO.
[/quote]

But there's the problem Jon, there are some very average FCS basses out there too.

IMHO a good Bravewood is at least as good as a good FCS, and better than a poor FCS.

If you're unfortunate enough to end up with a poor Bravewood (yes, I know) then a good FCS will beat it of course.

Once you get out of the mass-produced market and into boutique stuff (and I reckon you know this better than me anyway B) ) it's not down to the name on the headstock or the value on the price tag, it's down to the individual instrument.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1390167230' post='2342293']
But there's the problem Jon, there are some very average FCS basses out there too.

IMHO a good Bravewood is at least as good as a good FCS, and better than a poor FCS.

If you're unfortunate enough to end up with a poor Bravewood (yes, I know) then a good FCS will beat it of course.

Once you get out of the mass-produced market and into boutique stuff (and I reckon you know this better than me anyway B) ) it's not down to the name on the headstock or the value on the price tag, it's down to the individual instrument.
[/quote]

+1 to all of that Jack and sage advice for sblueplanet

It is sound advice. I would expect a custom-made instrument to have an edge over any factory one.

I know Fenders are pretty basic but they are still the benchmark for how a basic instrument should play, sound etc and many top players don't feel the need to go high-end to get a usuable sound for their music.

I've owned expensive basses but always found myself going back to basics and that usually has meant a reliable Fender.
My problem is vintage lefty Fenders don't come around as often so having a good quality aged replica was appealing.

Get someone to build you the wood bits - there are plenty of guys on here who would do it. Buy the hardware on here. Every pickup ever made crops up eventually. Get https://www.facebook.com/Retro169?fref=ts to paint it. I am in the process of doing this with a J5 http://basschat.co.uk/topic/192744-relic-j5/page__p__2062347__hl__relic__fromsearch__1#entry2062347

If Bravewood built a J5 I would have him doing it, but he does not, so I am getting it done another way.

John at Bravewood just got back to me to say he's started building a lefty strat for a customer so here's hoping he's pleased with his efforts. It may change his thoughts on the issue.
I have considered finding someone to refin and nicely relic my jazz body the way I imagine it.

Any hoo....anyone else got a review, opinion on a Bravewood bass they have played?

I've had two. My one recommendation would be to ask for Brazilian rosewood for the fingerboard and in the likely event he says he doesn't have Brazilian rosewood I'd go for ebony. My Bravewoods played beautifully well and sounded brilliant too. I will mention too that I don't regret selling mine because I have since decided that I don't like the relicing. I'd buy another but I'd want it 10/10 condition.

Edited by thebassist

I have two Bravewoods - A Strat I bought second hand (Second hand seems an odd concept when describing a reliced guitar) and a Jazz bass. I ordered that new (surf green matching headstock, stack knob, one piece worn maple neck) and have had it for a year or so. Both are fantastic sounding resonant instruments that really have a convincing aged feel about them. They do not look out of place next to pre cbs originals. I think £1500 is good value for a properly hand-made custom instrument, I would have no hesitation in ordering another.