Why become a member? ×

God I Love Punk

[quote name='lanark' post='985339' date='Oct 12 2010, 09:05 AM']See - what's happened is that apparently "Punk" is now a definition of a rigid music sound rather than an attitude, which it was when it first arrived. Personanlly I always preferred what became known as "New Wave" than what now classes as "Punk" which is essentially pretty dull and mostly sounds the same. Greatest Punk bands? The Fall and Frank Zappa - just playing a guitar very fast and shouting doesn't necessarily make you punk.

I find it frustrating that the same think has apparently happened to the term "Indie" too. Back in the day it covered everything npon-commercial, from the DKs to The Cocteau Twins, now both Punk and Indie apparently mean Green Day and The Killers. Boring both.[/quote]

+1000. Generic = against the original spirit of punk

[quote name='HMX' post='985073' date='Oct 12 2010, 12:06 AM']Propagandhi are the modern punk/thrash band for me. I love them and NOFX - they have funny little 'digs' at each other in songs. Check out 'Supporting Caste' album - best album of 2009 IMO. Todd Kowalski is a great bassist too.[/quote]

+1.

Great bass sound on that album.

Yep, when punk started, there were many bands around, but predominently:
The Sex Pistols
The Clash
The Damned
The Buzzcocks
The Stranglers
The Jam
Followed swiftly by:
Sham 69
The Undertones
Stiff Little Fingers

Now in my opinion, none of those bands sound similar to each other at all, yet they all had amazing energy in their music, which to me was the way to view them as a punk band.

The next generation of punk bands, such as GBH, The Exploited etc to my mind just went further with both speed of music, and the image, presenting a much "harder" style - not hard as in tough, hard as in visually and musically.

Only downside is, punk is now as established and mainstream as many other styles. But thats what happens when something so good comes along - many people embrace it, because its so good. It then becomes mainstream purely because many have taken to it.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='985402' date='Oct 12 2010, 09:53 AM']Yep, when punk started, there were many bands around, but predominently:
The Sex Pistols
The Clash
The Damned
The Buzzcocks
The Stranglers
The Jam
Followed swiftly by:
Sham 69
The Undertones
Stiff Little Fingers

Now in my opinion, none of those bands sound similar to each other at all, yet they all had amazing energy in their music, which to me was the way to view them as a punk band.

The next generation of punk bands, such as GBH, The Exploited etc to my mind just went further with both speed of music, and the image, presenting a much "harder" style - not hard as in tough, hard as in visually and musically.

Only downside is, punk is now as established and mainstream as many other styles. But thats what happens when something so good comes along - many people embrace it, because its so good. It then becomes mainstream purely because many have taken to it.[/quote]

But in 77-79, Punk also embraced under its umbrella such disparate acts as Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Slits, Elvis Costello, Ian Dury and the Blockheads, The Cure, Public Image Ltd, Talking Heads, Spizzenergi, Bow Wow Wow, The Fall, Gang of Four, The Mekons, Cabaret Voltaire and Swell Maps ... even Gong.

I think that "Punk" is much smaller and meaner now that it essentially means fast, shouty guitar-based rock rather than an approach to life. And certainly when people of my generation and older talk about Punk or Indie, they're not referring to a musical style or sound, but an attitude that could embrace musical styles as standard as a four-piece rock group to string quartets, brass bands and burundi drummers.

Edited by lanark

[quote name='lanark' post='985448' date='Oct 12 2010, 10:22 AM']But in 77-79, Punk also embraced under its umbrella such disparate acts as Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Slits, Elvis Costello, Ian Dury and the Blockheads, The Cure, Public Image Ltd, Talking Heads, Spizzenergi, Bow Wow Wow, The Fall, Gang of Four, The Mekons, Cabaret Voltaire and Swell Maps.

I think that "Punk" is much smaller and meaner now that it essentially means fast, shouty guitar-based rock rather than an approach to life. And certainly when peopl of my generation and older talk about Punk or Indie, they're not referring to a musical style or sound, but an attitude that could embrace musical styles as standard as a four-piece rock group to string quartets, brass bands and burundi drummers.[/quote]

Preaching to the converted here.

Is now a good time to mention my gig with the Members on Friday? :)

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='231226' date='Jul 2 2008, 12:10 PM']Inspired by Bilbo, I have nothing but respect for mans love for his music.

So i thought i would share my love Punk, i love the urgency i love the speed i love the way i feel when i hear a bass line played in hyper-speed with a nice palm muted guitar over the top and most of all i love the "this is what i play if you don't like it f*ck off " attitude of it all.

[/quote]

that type of thing is exactly why punk was invented, god is there anything more boring than a bass or drum solo :)

[quote name='PaulWarning' post='985892' date='Oct 12 2010, 04:31 PM']that type of thing is exactly why punk was invented, god is there anything more boring than a bass or drum solo :)[/quote]

Matt Freeman is good at what he does, but I do agree with you.

being as this thread is around again, i thought i'd stick in a shameless plug on behalf of our drummer spike, who's currently touring with Crass, as they perform their stuff for the last time ever.

he's had quite a year, playing for Killing Joke in China, then the New York Dolls a couple of weeks later. hopefully it'll all be done soon, as i'm getting bored practising on my own... :lol:

here's some recent footage, they're quite a bit tighter than i remember from my teenage years :)

Edited by phil.i.stein

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='985453' date='Oct 12 2010, 10:26 AM']But quite alot of what's called 'punk' nowadays seems to be heavily influenced by the poppier side of several US bands. They themselves were watering down older US punk stuff more than anything else.[/quote]

Whilst this is true to an extent, there are still "old school" bands around, its more that they are not given the same exposure as their squeaky clean pop punk contemporaries. I actually think there is a time and a place for both.

A lot of the stuff I listen to I'd define as pop punk - Bowling For Soup, Blink 182, You Me At Six. This is the exact sort of thing I know some of you are saying isn't punk. Fair enough, to be honest that doesn't bother me, I don't listen to it because it's punk (or not), i listen to it because I like the music. And I definitely would not think of myself as a punk, far from it! Define the music as what you like, doesn't make it more or less enjoyable to listen to.

I also listen to a lot of Sex Pistols, The Jam, The Clash, Stranglers, Buzzcocks, Undertones, Ramones etc. which undeniably is punk.

Funny thing about this thread is how self-contradictory it becomes.

I grew up listening to the Clash, The Stranglers, The Jam, Buzzcocks etc. Instinctively I fall into the category which says that was proper punk, and the modern stuff isn't.

But then I realise that makes me sound like an old reactionary who thinks modern music isn't as good as the stuff I listened to when I was young. Which is hardly a punk attitude. I think I'm just old and confused.....

Edited by simon1964

anyone remember Refused ? (swedish post-punk stuff)

the singer and drummer have a new hardcore outfit called AC4

[url="http://www.myspace.com/ac4hc"]http://www.myspace.com/ac4hc[/url]

the drummer now plays bass. i'm off to see 'em tomorrow night in Peterborough. :lol:

then melt banana (japanese noise) at Nottingham rock city, followed by Coda (dubstep band) in Peterborough, both on Saturday.

viva la red-bull ! :)

[quote name='simon1964' post='988000' date='Oct 14 2010, 01:20 PM']Funny thing about this thread is how self-contradictory it becomes.

I grew up listening to the Clash, The Stranglers, The Jam, Buzzcocks etc. Instinctively I fall into the category which says that was proper punk, and the modern stuff isn't.

But then I realise that makes me sound like an old reactionary who thinks modern music isn't as good as the stuff I listened to when I was young. Which is hardly a punk attitude. I think I'm just old and confused.....[/quote]

The thing is The Stranglers, Clash and Jam made a lot of music I wouldn't consider punk.

Everytime I hear someone say punk now days isn't as good as the old punk all I hear in my head is Uncle Albert saying "during the war"

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='988347' date='Oct 14 2010, 07:43 PM']The thing is The Stranglers, Clash and Jam made a lot of music I wouldn't consider punk.

Everytime I hear someone say punk now days isn't as good as the old punk all I hear in my head is Uncle Albert saying "during the war"[/quote]

I think what might be the case is that modern US punk doesn't come from the same bloodline as UK punk from the '70s. So it's a bit chalk and cheese. Modern US punk (or what's called punk) takes more influences from the US hardcore punk scene of the lates 70s to mid-80s. That encompasses alot of different sounds and styles. That said, the stuff that gets labelled as punk in the US nowadays seems to be more firmly rooted in a few specific areas of the hardcore scene, but slightly toned down and with more emphasis on the melodic. It even strays into Crossover a bit IMHO.

Anyway, in a nutshell, British punk and US punk a tad different. Comparisons go askew a bit quickly. It's a shame the 'American Hardcore' documentary film isn't on Google video any more, as that explains alot of the hardcore scene and where it came from. Mind you, it can get a bit confusing because US hardcore also was in turn copied by bands in the UK... who then influenced bands in the US... :)

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='988381' date='Oct 14 2010, 08:16 PM']I think what might be the case is that modern US punk doesn't come from the same bloodline as UK punk from the '70s. So it's a bit chalk and cheese. Modern US punk (or what's called punk) takes more influences from the US hardcore punk scene of the lates 70s to mid-80s. That encompasses alot of different sounds and styles. That said, the stuff that gets labelled as punk in the US nowadays seems to be more firmly rooted in a few specific areas of the hardcore scene, but slightly toned down and with more emphasis on the melodic. It even strays into Crossover a bit IMHO.

Anyway, in a nutshell, British punk and US punk a tad different. Comparisons go askew a bit quickly. It's a shame the 'American Hardcore' documentary film isn't on Google video any more, as that explains alot of the hardcore scene and where it came from. Mind you, it can get a bit confusing because US hardcore also was in turn copied by bands in the UK... who then influenced bands in the US... :)[/quote]

Are you talking about 'The Decline of Western Civilisation'?

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='988347' date='Oct 14 2010, 07:43 PM']The thing is The Stranglers, Clash and Jam made a lot of music I wouldn't consider punk.

Everytime I hear someone say punk now days isn't as good as the old punk all I hear in my head is Uncle Albert saying "during the war"[/quote]

Trouble is that, as I said earlier. In the UK, Punk wasn't as limited as just shouty thrashy guitar rock from angry boys, and whenever I hear people try to impoverish the term "punk" in this way a part of me dies inside. What you seem to define as punk just sounds to me like a poppier version of thrash metal. To define punk to such a tiny, unimaginative, limited box is to make me wish punk HAD died in 1979.

[quote name='lanark' post='988426' date='Oct 14 2010, 09:03 PM']Trouble is that, as I said earlier. In the UK, Punk wasn't as limited as just shouty thrashy guitar rock from angry boys, and whenever I hear people try to impoverish the term "punk" in this way a part of me dies inside. What you seem to define as punk just sounds to me like a poppier version of thrash metal. To define punk to such a tiny, unimaginative, limited box is to make me wish punk HAD died in 1979.[/quote]
I think it's just to do with the problem of how we define the genre nowadays. Too many elitists telling me what is and isn't 'real' punk. They can shove it.

Edited by HMX

[quote name='HMX' post='988434' date='Oct 14 2010, 09:13 PM']I think it's just to do with the problem of how we define the genre nowadays. Too many elitists telling me what is and isn't 'real' punk. They can shove it.[/quote]
+1

punk [b]should[/b] be an attitude, not a sound.

techno, d'n'b, dubstep etc. is more punk than that frat-rock crap i hear too much of these days.

it's about anyone being able to do it, not just record industry mo-fo's.