Why become a member? ×

Back playing - yeah!!!

AndyTravis

Had about 18 months out of live playing, bands etc to spend more time with the family.

I'd grown tired of gigging, twice weekly rehearsals, being away from home recording or playing, the general slog of a band on the 'making it' trail. I've been out playing since I was 13 and never really had a break until 28 years of age.

I pick my bass up every day, but rarely spend more than 20 minutes actually playing.

My wife sneakily arranged use of a room at a local pub on Monday Evenings - she's ace, totally supportive; spotted I'd started missing it and wants me out playing.

And last night about 5/6 mates and I set up a load of gear and made a big racket.

What a great feeling. Nothing like it.

My brother who's a fantastic guitarist joined us, and he said the same (he's been out of the loop even longer than me) and we had such a good laugh just knocking out a covers set.

Didn't think I'd stopped playing permanently, but the break has made it fun again - no agenda, no gigs to plan for etc, no EP or album to push.

So, now we're doing our Monday Club at the White Swan as usual but with gear all set up and a healthy dose of good music.

Thought I'd share the excitement - just in case anyone's feeling jaded or fed up with their band or lack thereof.

I was in the same boat up until yesterday and I'm excited to be playing again.

Andy x

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1389123255' post='2330351']
That. Is. Awesome. Great to hear you're back into live music, and props to your wife, who is clearly your soulmate. Keep us posted :)
[/quote]

Or clearly wants him out of the house again :D

Nice one though Andy, it's great when you really enjoy it.

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1389163080' post='2330706']
Great stuff Andy, welcome back! I think I know the pub you are referring to, its where my father in law drinks on a Tuesday!
[/quote]

Big Joey Holts on Worsley Road?

Cheers by the way folks, yes I can confirm my wife is the best. A lovely lady indeed.

Away from bands and gigging for approx 15yrs and only just got back into few yrs back when a mate asked me to help out at a jam session he was running every few weeks.
Went along few times, got the bug again and started playing in rock bands all over again.
Thoroughly enjoying it this time around.
Think the maturity has taken away most of the anguish tho and makes for a more relaxing time.

All the very best with new adventures.

Dave

Got my mate coming with keyboards this week, he's a fantastic musician and I'm very flattered he's coming down (he's already lending his PA) he used to play for in house bands for the BBC and stuff.

He's also singing for us so it puts people at ease if we have 2 good vocalists to hand.

The girl to the right of my brother, Lauren is a great singer too.

Very handy knowing so many cool people who want to make music with me!