Why become a member? ×

Selling bass's :(

patrikmarky

It's a combination
someone with an image/band that fits the bass, and/or a desirable brand or item
them having money,
them needing the bass- either as an upgrade to what they have or a cheaper second bass,
and of course, the biggest of them all - the right price.

you need all four...

[quote name='patrikmarky' timestamp='1389119961' post='2330299']
My schecter is so beutiful ..great sound... Have he no interest at all..is it me or is there no love for anything that's not fender ...
[/quote]
A lot of it's down to fashion. A while ago you HAD to have a Stingray but not now it seems, but they are still the great basses they always were. Now it's JV prices that have gone through the roof. It seems that everyone wants one now but these were relatively cheap up to a couple of years ago when they were just as good bases as they are today.

As The Dame said: It's Fashion!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA27aQZCQMk

Edited by BetaFunk

Schecters have always been a bit unloved on the used market in the UK. Not so in the US I believe.

The whole used bass market is in the doldrums at the moment though, apart from maybe a few niche items, like JV's.

A year or so ago it would have been absurd thinking that you could pick up a nice used Warwick Streamer LX for £550, or an American Precision for £450 (both are current or recent deals on this site). But that's just how things are at the moment.

Some things just don't shift on BC - there was a nice Korean-made Ibanez SR clone on for £50 or swap for P/J parts. It was on for about a month before it sold.

I think a lot of people are very conservative in their tastes - I definitely know better than to try & sell my Lace Helix here...

Jon.

It's definitely a bad time to sell, but a great time to buy! Unless you really need to sell your Schecter, hang on to it. The market will pick up eventually.... but as others have said, there will always be a safe market for Fenders. I don't know why, but there just is! Even so, some Fenders are going for silly prices now. MIMs for £200?!?! Crazy.

I'm new to this market, coming back to bass late in life but IMHO there seems to be a widespread religious-cult style patriotism love out there for Fenders. It's a following that I would otherwise only expect to see for following of a sports team.

My guess is it's a following that has infectiously come over from the USA after it's been born out of their patriotism for a home grown manufacturer with some history to it. (They love their history, limited though it may be. )

I agree with the above, unless you need the money don't sell. If you do you'll regret it later.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1389169528' post='2330744']IMHO there seems to be a widespread religious-cult style patriotism love out there for Fenders. My guess is it's a following that has infectiously come over from the USA after it's been born out of their patriotism for a home grown manufacturer with some history to it.[/quote]

Not sure about this. Yes, there are a few dyed-in-the-wool Fender fans, but I think that for most people a Fender is a known quantity. They know what to expect from the sound, look and playability (or at least they [i]think[/i] they do!).

In tough times when money is short, maybe buyers are less likely to take a punt on a lesser-known instrument?

That said, there do seem to be an inordinate number of Fenders in the basses for sale section... :huh:

Edited by Conan

I think it's just supply and demand. There are an awful lot of basses out there. More new basses are being sold, and the ones already out there often are still around decades later, being sold and resold, cluttering up people's sofas and the like.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1389171081' post='2330755']
That said, there do seem to be an inordinate number of Fenders in the basses for sale section... :huh:
[/quote]

I think this can be explained by there being an inordinate number of Fenders out there.

Edited by Annoying Twit

[quote name='patrikmarky' timestamp='1389119961' post='2330299']
My schecter is so beutiful ..great sound...
[/quote]
[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1389120098' post='2330301']
Spelling Basses :(

;)
[/quote]
I just hope schecter it spelt correctly and nice to hear it's beautiful. I do hope I've not made an as of myself with my second post. GLWYS :)

I've been trying to sell my Modern Player Jazz since before Christmas with no joy. First eBay auction was won by a non-payer, the second most recent auction had tons of views and watchers, but no bids. I did get one offer from someone, but I [i]had to [b]politely[/b][/i] decline because it was way, way, way off the mark.

And that's for a Fender (albeit an MIC Fender).

I guess post-Christmas isn't a great time to sell anything.

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1389183662' post='2330956']
I'm looking to sell a US Jazz, but the prices are just going down all the time at the moment. I'm hanging on for as long as I don't need the cash, hoping things (i.e. second hand prices) will improve.
[/quote]
I think it all depends on the age the US Jazz is. I have a couple of 1970s US Jazz Basses and there seems to be no decrease in prices at all. In fact they seem to be increasing in value.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1389185110' post='2330989']
True - but why are so many for sale? :blink:
[/quote]
[size=4][quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1389185522' post='2330998'][/size]It could be that compared to the number of basses in circulation, the proportion of them that is for sale is very small.
[/quote]

Yes. Fender (and Squier) produce more basses than any other manufacturer put together.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1389184020' post='2330963']
I think it all depends on the age the US Jazz is. I have a couple of 1970s US Jazz Basses and there seems to be no decrease in prices at all. In fact they seem to be increasing in value.
[/quote]

The prices of '70's Fenders are indeed appreciating, especially for nice examples. Also very noticeable is that post-CBS late '60's Fenders are trading at pre-CBS prices now. You will pay approximately the same money for a good '66 or '67 bass as you would for one pre-1965.

It's all driven by demand, and worldwide demand for those basses is constant. You can sell them in Europe, you can sell them in Japan, and, most significantly, you can sell the in America, where supply is greatest, for just as good prices as anywhere else.