Why become a member? ×

Short Scale Bass

Absolute Beginner

Hi all.

I'm new to the world of Bass guitars, so please bare with me !

I'm looking to purchase a beginners short scale bass, which is relatively light (I have issues with my left shoulder),and has little neck dive.

My budget is £300 maximum, and I wondered if any of you can kindly recommend a bass within this price range.....?

The two guitars I am interested in at the present time are as follows:

Epiphone Viola
Epiphone EB-0 (I could possibly stretch to the EB-3).

I am open to other suggestions though ?

For your information, I will mainly be playing Beatles covers.

Many thanks.

[quote name='Absolute Beginner' timestamp='1388083194' post='2318405']
Thanks.

Don't quite understand your reply though.....?!

I've never got the whole smile face thing !
[/quote]

bare, we'll all be nekkid together...some pedantry goin on there methinks ;)

We shall however bear with you matey and hopefully someone will answer your question soon :)

Get a Hofner violin, the a Ignition will be within your budget from eBay and they are not bad, you can pickup a contemporary series if you are lucky for £300. I own a German Hofner '62 reissue which I have used a lot recently after injuring my shoulder these are great but a bit expensive. Good luck!

[quote name='Absolute Beginner' timestamp='1388080991' post='2318381']
Hi all.

I'm looking to purchase a beginners short scale bass, which is relatively light (I have issues with my left shoulder),and has little neck dive.

My budget is £300 maximum, and I wondered if any of you can kindly recommend a bass within this price range.....?

Epiphone Viola

Many thanks.
[/quote]
The Epiphone Viola will probably be lighter than an EBO due to it being semi-hollow.

Less light but probably a better bass will be the Squier Mustang.

Also, there are cheaper versions of the light Hofner Violin bass in your price range.

You need to get in a music shop and try a few.

In my personal opinion, Squier Jaguar SS (Short Scale) is the best value short scale bass. Not sure if that's what you want though, the design (and the tone) is a fair bit different to the Gibson-style or Hofner-style instruments. The Epiphone EB-3 is long scale, so that one doesn't fit your requirements either. My advice is to look into cheaper Chinese versions of actual Hofner branded basses as well as Epiphones.

I shall answer I own a eb0 there nice and I think neck dive is a overrated problem, but both the eb0 and indeed the eb3 have it. A wide strap sorts the problem I find.

Ok the eb0 is nice well built and sounds good it also easy to play. However the tonal options are limited to say the least more so maybe because I'm using flatwound strings but even before with rounds it wasn't the most versatile. The eb3 with its extra bridge pickup has a little more variation.

The viola I've never played but I imagine it's light, easy to play and from the few things I've read about it a decent instrument. And probably best if playing Beatles stuff. Harley Benton (thomann) do a cheap Beatles bass that's not bad by all accounts.

But personally if I wanted a shortscale bass and had a 300 pound budget I would buy a squier vm mustang ss or a gretsch junior jet but if weights a problem then deffo the viola or the Harley Benton is the way to go. Oh and the danelectro basses look up those too.

Hiya matey .what you need is just try some basses out really some short scales are quite awkward to play and some good like my westone but it's quite heavy and don't get caught up with names I've played some real awful expensive basses and some cheap brilliant basses. My lindo springs to mind hope this helps. All the best. Kev

Edited by kevvo66

I know it shouldn't matter but it is nice to look and feel the part, so as the OP is looking to play Beatles songs then surely a Hofner violin or look-a-likey would be best.
Lightweight, that classic sound and (yes PM played other basses but this is the one most identified with him) that classic look.

Squier VM Jaguar SS, very light, very comfy, nice player, decent tone, well built, or try the Squier Classic Vibe Mustang. The Beatles didn't play Hofners through choice, due to the trade embargoes after the war you just couldn't get Fenders, (and god knows who wanted Gibsons!) until around 1960. I love short scale basses, they're a do dele to play, the downside being less sustain but apart from that they're great!

[quote name='JazzRay' timestamp='1388154743' post='2318939']
Squier VM Jaguar SS, very light, very comfy, nice player, decent tone, well built, or try the Squier Classic Vibe Mustang. The Beatles didn't play Hofners through choice, due to the trade embargoes after the war you just couldn't get Fenders, (and god knows who wanted Gibsons!) until around 1960. I love short scale basses, they're a do dele to play, the downside being less sustain but apart from that they're great!
[/quote]
Only McCartney played a Hofner. In the early days Lennon played a Rickenbacker and Harrison played a Gretsch.

Gretsch Electromatic Jet ticks all your boxes. It's short scale, in your price range, very light and no neck dive. Looks great, and quite flexible sound wise thanks to two pickups. They're made in China, as Fender now use the brand name for a budget range as well as reproductions of the old high end US made models. Build quality on mine was flawless, I guess they can produce them at this price point by using cheaper and lighter woods.

[quote name='Absolute Beginner' timestamp='1388080991' post='2318381']
Hi all.

Epiphone Viola

Many thanks.
[/quote]

My son is selling his Squier VM Jaguar SS. Only had it 6 months, nearly mint. Drop a PM if interested!!

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1388158004' post='2318981']

Only McCartney played a Hofner. In the early days Lennon played a Rickenbacker and Harrison played a Gretsch.
[/quote] Stuart Sutcliffe played a Hofner, and Lennon and Harrison didn't play Gretsch and Ricky until around 62 when they got them on the never never

[quote name='JazzRay' timestamp='1388154743' post='2318939']
The Beatles didn't play Hofners through choice, due to the trade embargoes after the war you just couldn't get Fenders, (and god knows who wanted Gibsons!) until around 1960.
[/quote]
Admittedly they were very thin on the ground but you could get a Fender guitar or bass if you went to the U.S. and brought one back which plenty of people did do. Mostly if they had travelled to New York themselves or got someone to bring one back. A good few guitarists and bass players in Irish Showbands also had Fenders and Gibsons before they were widely available in the UK and Eire.

If you are playing in a beatles band, I guess it must be a Hofner or similar type bass. If your shoulder is giving you problems, I reckon you would need to get out and try some basses.

Regarding other types of SS, the Squier Mustang isn`t light but the Jag SS gets a good write up. Or mabye you could follow Macca`s example below and get a Jazz....

[attachment=151018:PaulandGeorge1968JB.jpg]

I've played short scale since I started and even though i had (and could comfortably play) an ibanez jetking for a while ( im only 5"7 with midget hands (and t rex arms according to my wife) I'd go with the majority - £300 budget has to be squire mustang or jag. First things first...they both have to be the most beautiful looking shortscales.

The eb0 I learnt on was not pleasant...very thumpy/muddy and weight distribution was not ideal. First thing I did when we got signed was change it. This was definately a mixture of the wrong strings and a poor amp but even after rectifying this I still ended up selling to our guitarist for £25! I hated it that much, not sure why but I'd get thumb cramps with the eb0 (I use a thumb pick) even after only short 30 min gigs...never happened with any other bases...weird.

Squire are pretty well built these days and fender products always seems to give a more defined tone to my ears....saying that the gretch jet is also lovely looking, just never played it.
I do know the guitar version is very cool and smoother to play than most of the fender telecasters ive played. I've asked a friend to leave me his when he dies....but he just keeps living.

[quote name='JazzRay' timestamp='1388166179' post='2319063']
Stuart Sutcliffe played a Hofner, and Lennon and Harrison didn't play Gretsch and Ricky until around 62 when they got them on the never never
[/quote]
Well, OK, pedantic, but Lennon's Rickenbacker is usually dated as a 1960 never-never purchase in Hamburg, and Harrison is usually said to have paid £70 cash for his Gretsch in 1961 in Liverpool, and Sutcliffe had left by the end of 1960.

But either way, they weren't all playing Hofners even before the Ricky and the Gretsch.

Hi all.

Thanks again for your comments.

I went to Coda Music in Luton today, and am very pleased to say, purchased an Epiphone Viola !

I tried out various bass guitars (Squier, Ibanez etc), but the Viola felt by far the most comfortable in terms of body shape and weight.

It played really well also.

Anyway, thanks again.

PS Can any recommend a bass guitar tutor within the Hemel Hempstead / surrounding areas ?