Why become a member? ×

Ok, so give me a reason why a Stingray.....

bagsieblue

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1387840119' post='2316447']

Stingrays are wired parallel, SUBs in series. And one uses ceramic magnets while the other alnico (I canna mind which is which just now).
[/quote]

Ah, think I've read that some Sub's are wired in series and some parallel...
Not realised they were different pups before though.. Are they also different from a Stingray Classic?

The bodies have a different contour and a different paint job and also the wood isn't as two or three piece. The pickup and preamp can be transplanted and sorted but there are differences. I bet there are loads of Subs that are better than Stingrays and vice versa. For me, it was the Sterling that made most sense. Then I ditched it and made a Yamaha BB into a ceramic MM monster with an East pre-amp.

Whatever, subs are great value and easily modified.

More comfortable (for some); prettier finishes; oiled necks. Electronics are subjective, I think, as many prefer the tone of the SUB. I bought mine when they first came out and still have it (paint stripped off the neck now as it became sticky when it got shiny) but I had a 'full on' 'Ray which has since moved on; there is a certain something about the original SUB that, for me, makes it a keeper.

Stingrays are wired parallel, SUBs in series. And one uses ceramic magnets while the other alnico (I canna mind which is which just now).
[/quote]

Not according to the company who made them - they say they were all parallel - after all parallel wired pick up is part of the Stingray magic. One or two members have dismantled their Sub pick ups and found them wired in series - did they come from the factory like that? Who knows! Perhaps someone can confirm.

Has anyone looked at a Sub 5 pick up. For starters the standard SR5 has a glued on pick up cover - presumably the Sub 5 does?

Basically the USA built sub is a slab bodied Ray with a poplar body and lower spec finishing and 2 band active or plain passive electronics.

Basically they sound virtually identical to a 2 band Ray at about 50 to 60% of the secondhand value of a Ray.

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1387874831' post='2316604']
are they sort of the squier Vintage Modified of the "Ray" world, if that makes sense?
[/quote]

I would say no. They were an attempt to make an ebmm budget range affordable to the masses but they weren't cost effective for the manufacturer. I'd say the Squier equivalent will be the new Sterling by Mm basses.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1387873628' post='2316587']
Not according to the company who made them - they say they were all parallel - after all parallel wired pick up is part of the Stingray magic. One or two members have dismantled their Sub pick ups and found them wired in series - did they come from the factory like that? Who knows! Perhaps someone can confirm.
[/quote]

Well according to the people who own them.... :D

No "dismantling" necessary. Just whip 'em out.

My 'ray pup and my SUB pup....

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1387874831' post='2316604']
are they sort of the squier Vintage Modified of the "Ray" world, if that makes sense?
[/quote]
I think the closest Fender analogy would be the Highway One basses of a couple of years ago, since they were made in the same factory as the US standards but cut the price by using a cheaper, unbuffed finish.

Unless I loved the look feel n sound of a specific ray I wouldn't shell out the extra for a ray. The sub is close enough to a ray for me and I don't feel so bad when it gets a ding.
That's why I sold a ray and will probly keep the sub. Haha probably.....

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1387883526' post='2316752']

Well according to the people who own them.... :D

No "dismantling" necessary. Just whip 'em out.

My 'ray pup and my SUB pup....

[/quote]

Did it come like that new? Is it a Sub Sterling or Sub Stingray? If it is permanently in series it will not sound like a Stingray - my SR5 sounds more active Fender is series and more Stingray in parallel - still a good sound though.

A lot of Subs have been used as project basses so you never totally know what you're getting. However a parallel wired one with 2 band EQ will sound pretty close to any regular 2 band Ray.

However for me there is nothing quite like an ash bodied trans finish Ray with nice wood figuring with a maple board and I believe they have a certain sound about them also.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1387893464' post='2316974']
Did it come like that new? Is it a Sub Sterling or Sub Stingray? If it is permanently in series it will not sound like a Stingray - my SR5 sounds more active Fender is series and more Stingray in parallel - still a good sound though.

A lot of Subs have been used as project basses so you never totally know what you're getting. However a parallel wired one with 2 band EQ will sound pretty close to any regular 2 band Ray.

[/quote]

So when you requested someone to confirm this series/parallel spec were you looking for members from here to oblige or will you trust only a sworn affidavit direct from the Ernie Ball corporation? As you apparently don't view my experience (and by proxy the many others who have discussed and experienced this exact thing both here and on the EB site) as valid perhaps you like me to contact EB forthwith and get the official word. I'd be more that happy to deliver you a swift one from the Balls this Xmas. :D

Have a cool Yule doc. ;)

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1387898450' post='2317031']

So when you requested someone to confirm this series/parallel spec were you looking for members from here to oblige or will you trust only a sworn affidavit direct from the Ernie Ball corporation? As you apparently don't view my experience (and by proxy the many others who have discussed and experienced this exact thing both here and on the EB site) as valid perhaps you like me to contact EB forthwith and get the official word. I'd be more that happy to deliver you a swift one from the Balls this Xmas. :D

Have a cool Yule doc. ;)
[/quote]

Well I did check it out several years back and it was the EBMM people
who said they are parallel. I have heard of other people with Subs that are parallel wired.

I don't doubt you at all - but there's clearly an inconsistency. Have a good Christmas yourself!

[/quote]

Not exactly.

It looks like some SUBs are wired in series, some in parallel. I got one of each, both stock. I suspect it's late ones (2005-6) that are the parallel ones. Same pickup then.
All SUBs I've seen were alnico.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1387873628' post='2316587']

Has anyone looked at a Sub 5 pick up. For starters the standard SR5 has a glued on pick up cover - presumably the Sub 5 does?

Basically the USA built sub is a slab bodied Ray with a poplar body and lower spec finishing and 2 band active or plain passive electronics.

Basically they sound virtually identical to a 2 band Ray at about 50 to 60% of the secondhand value of a Ray.
[/quote]

My 2003 SUB is wired in series, it looks stock and the previous owner claims he did nothing to it (owner from new).
It's a nice punchy sound that works really well with teh 2EQ preamp, in my opinion.

My SUB5 was wired in parallel, it was a 2004, I think. Very weird as EBMM did not make an alnico parallel 5-string pickup at the time...
Mysteries!!! :)

When it comes to sound and playability... I am not sure there is any significant difference between a 2EQ Stingray and a SUB, as long as the lack of contours don't bother you.

I have a Stingray and two SUBs, one is parallel and one series... the parallel one is as Stingrayish as it could be. The series one is another Stingray that went to the gym, that's all ;p

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1387919780' post='2317289']

My 2003 SUB is wired in series, it looks stock and the previous owner claims he did nothing to it (owner from new).
It's a nice punchy sound that works really well with teh 2EQ preamp, in my opinion.

My SUB5 was wired in parallel, it was a 2004, I think. Very weird as EBMM did not make an alnico parallel 5-string pickup at the time...
Mysteries!!! :)

When it comes to sound and playability... I am not sure there is any significant difference between a 2EQ Stingray and a SUB, as long as the lack of contours don't bother you.

I have a Stingray and two SUBs, one is parallel and one series... the parallel one is as Stingrayish as it could be. The series one is another Stingray that went to the gym, that's all ;p
[/quote]

I was talking about SUB 4s only.

Countour (doesn't worry me but some folks prefer), natural neck finishes and headstock facing (some folks,don't like black paint) and nicer body finishes/scratchplate (if you don't dig Artex-stylee bodies and diamondplate - latter is easily replaced)

Sound and playability, proverbial fleas baw-hair as we say north of the border....;)

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1387921182' post='2317312']
I was talking about SUB 4s only.
[/quote]

I know, and I have two SUB 4s, one is parallel (late 2005 or early 2006) and one is series (late 2003). Sorry my response seemed a bit confusing.
Both alnico.