Why become a member? ×

Yamaha trbx 505

patrikmarky

I've got the 4 string version and it's brilliant to play. Nice passive and active tone options. Has a humbucker sound, obviously from the humbucking pickups :) but worth mentioning as I find it quite un-vintage in tone. Not a bad thing of course but I've grown rather fond of the vintagey sound of my Overwater Classic J.

A good move, I played a couple and they were great. What really impressed me is the quality of the sound and all of the variations you get from it are usable. I also liked the fact that when you switched from passive to active you retained exactly the same sound and character but gain some power and thump. A great choice.

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1387808319' post='2315928']
Given their vast and varied range I find that slightly amusing
[/quote]

Yeah it's a really weird thing, all the ones I've used felt like the body was made of plastic, especially the RBX series. Like I said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with any of them, they just didn't feel right o.0

[quote name='patrikmarky' timestamp='1387910721' post='2317175']
Well I picked it up today ..it's truly amazing...cannot now justify what I've spent in the past on guitars I won't mention names..But well worth the few hundred pound it cost me...
[/quote]
Congratulations!

• 1 month later...

I think these look really interesting too - haven't managed to see one in the 'flesh' yet though. However, I'm really tempted to order one and have it delivered since they appear to offer just what I'm looking for in a new bass. The trans colours all look opaque in the photos (except the brown maybe). I really like to be able to see the wood grain when its a decent hardwood body. Has anyone seen a transparent white one 504/505? Can you see the mahogany wood grain through it?

Edited by Basslessfret

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Basslessfret' timestamp='1390842657' post='2350206']
Has anyone seen a transparent white one 504/505? Can you see the mahogany wood grain through it?
[/quote]
OK, since no-one else answered I will! I have now seen a trans white 505 - the grain does not really show through. In some light (especially bright light or daylight) the finish looks opaque and in dimmer artificial light you can just about see a hint of the wood grain underneath, but it is very subtle. The wood grain appears to show through much better on the trans brown one. Hope that this is of interest to someone else!