Why become a member? ×

Any Glasgow players out there?

Iheartreverb

Yo!

Im from Glasgow. I dont really use Glasgow shops but i knoew they're there for string etc. I used to buy my stuff from soundcontrol or the guitar store.

In previouse bands I used to gig pretty much everywhere, but my recent band have made a concious effort to NOT play in glasgow, but to play anywhere else. It means that when we do play in Glasgow it has a decent sized impact and we can get a decent crowd. Playing every 2nd week in Box or PIVOPIVO to 4 of your mates wont do damage.

Good to hear from you mate. I live near CCmusic but make an effort to not shop there as the customer service is awful as is the stock holding.
If I was looking to buy anything it would be Merchant City music as the guys are sound and everything gets a set up before it hits the shelves.

I'm only just moving into the gigging world but I know what you mean, there's so many nights on!
If I'm going to a gig I prefer smallest venues such as stereo, broadcast or the art school.

close enough to the city, the guys at the music centre in Paisley are friendly but in general I find the shops are not so individual as they used to be, probably due to the market being dominated by certain brands and distributors ?? I think that merchant City was closed last time I was out that way.

Haven't done much gigging in the city, Ivory Blacks was the last. Rehearse at AM in Cumbernauld (good place run by 2 of MacFloyd), playing our own metal with proggy bits. cheers

[quote name='waldflote8' timestamp='1386887797' post='2306170']
close enough to the city, the guys at the music centre in Paisley are friendly but in general I find the shops are not so individual as they used to be, probably due to the market being dominated by certain brands and distributors ?? I think that merchant City was closed last time I was out that way.
[/quote]

Merchant city has moved but is still around, look them up online.
It's true that most stores are full of the same stuff but for me the service will decide where I go.

CCmusic just stock what they can get, pay no attention to trends in music or in instruments or newer lines coming out.

I rarely shop in music shops but I think CC is excellent, they have some lovely instruments and never had a problem with the staff. Jimmy Egypt has set up a number of my basses and has done a great job. In the few times I've been in Merchant City I've always found them very pleasant but I've never really had a problem in any music shops. We have our own space but Berkeley is great and I like the guys up at the Practice Pad, great people nice relaxed atmosphere.

When I lived in Glasgow I liked Merchant City. I didn't like CC Music as I always seems to get a better deal in other shops especially if I was trading a bass. Guitarguitar however were the worst for trading although they were the best for stock. Again, like most here, Berkeley were king for rehearsing. It's also well worth having a look at Strung Out Guitars in King Street. For repairs etc I always used (and still do) Jimmy Moon in Shawlands. He also has a stock of very tasty second-hand stuff although it is mostly guitars.

I haven't been there for years, but I always thought they were a friendly and well informed bunch at CC Music. Sorry to hear they may have gone downhill.

[but at least they're still in business, which is more than I can say for most of the shops I knew there]

Edited by stevie

[quote name='Iheartreverb' timestamp='1386888611' post='2306201']
Berkeley is by far the best rehearsal space but isn't that convenient to get to. We rehearse at lofi which for me is a second.
Anyone any thoughts?
[/quote]

I find Lofi a terrible place. The sound in their small rooms is shocking, especially the ones where the drummer sits in an inshot. Berkeley is by far and above the best rehearsal place in the town. Decent gear, you don`t need to wipe your feet on the way out and Steve and the girls and guys are nice people when they get to know you.

As for shopping, I find Guitarguitar, Merchant City and Kennys Music are all good stores with GG wining on the selection front and MC being the cheapest usually for strings and such like. Never had any problems with Steve at CC but each to their own.

Edited by jezzaboy

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1386967729' post='2307078']

I find Lofi a terrible place. The sound in their small rooms is shocking, especially the ones where the drummer sits in an inshot. Berkeley is by far and above the best rehearsal place in the town. Decent gear, you don`t need to wipe your feet on the way out and Steve and the girls and guys are nice people when they get to know you.
[/quote]

I wish I could go to Berkeley every practice but it's an extra taxi ride from town and we practice twice a week.
We always get a good sized room in lofi, I agree the smaller ones are a bit ropey bit we are a five price and prefer to have one of the bigger room for the pianos in there too.
I just think it's better of the city centre based places like Dixon.

Hi i am from saltcoats playing mostly rics, and recording again with the original guitarist from my band Quasar back in the early 80,s, we are currently recording a new album as Extreme Danger, don,t use the shops in Glasgow any more i get better deals from sounds live and Gak. just purchased a load of new gear and the Glasgow stores could not come near the other stores price wise.
here is a link to my soundcloud page. all the best George
[url="https://soundcloud.com/stream"]https://soundcloud.com/stream[/url]

I live in Southside. Used to use GMS for rehearsals and whilst I still would recommend them, we moved to Shadow Sound Central when it opened a couple of months ago. It's cheaper (only £15 for 3 hours during off-peak hours). Would recommend giving them a go one time, the sound and equipment in there has always been good for us.

Edited by Bankai

I'm in clydebank, use shadow sound here and like them, find myself in the likes of Berkeley and like everyone says they're great, good space and gear. For first time I've got work needing done on a bass and it's with jimmy Egypt now - selling my aria sb1000 and the guy very fairly picked up on the nut needing reset and a small lacquer crack on the rear but from what I've read from lots of others I'm sure they'll do a great job! Might get a wee set up for my jazz if the sale goes through ok ;-)