Why become a member? ×

New Bill Fitzmaurice 'Simplexx' Cabs

discreet

[b]New Bill Fitzmaurice 'Simplexx' Cabs[/b]

Bill Fitzmaurice has launched a range of new designs which are intended for first-time and novice builders who aren't comfortable with attempting to build the more complicated lines...

[url="http://www.billfitzmaurice.info/Simplexx.html"]http://www.billfitzm...o/Simplexx.html[/url]

Got to be worth a look! I have ordered the Simplexx 12 2X12 Electric Bass plans... :)

"All Simplexx cabs feature braced half-inch plywood construction, for better performance with lighter weight than commercial cabs. All feature corner located ports, for stronger construction with less weight than round or slot ports. Corner ports also sound better than round or slot ports, as their placement equalizes air pressure inside the cabinet, preventing cone rock at high levels. Two driver bass and keyboard cabs feature vertically stacked woofers and dual vertically stacked tweeters, for maximum horizontal dispersion with no high frequency beaming or comb filtering. S10 and S12 PA tops feature Eminence coaxial drivers. These cabs aren’t difficult to build, but they still feature engineering that even ‘boutique’ cabs can’t lay claim to."

I feel another cab build thread coming on... :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1386685876' post='2303062']
The only thing that concerns me is that removing the corners could somehow weaken then cabinet. I expect Bill thought of that though :)
[/quote]

I have no doubt whatsoever these cabs will be heavily braced internally.
I'll let you know for sure when I get the plans. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1386686000' post='2303064']
I have no doubt whatsoever these cabs will be heavily braced internally.
I'll let you know for sure when I get the plans. :)
[/quote]

I was just thinking about my comment and I think I was being dumb :lol:

I'm intrigued by these cabs.
I've always been interested in trying to make my own cabs, partly down to not being able to afford the kind of cabs I'd like, my only concern would be getting a professional enough finish to keep me happy.
Having said that, I might have a go at one of these next year...

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1386687983' post='2303101']
I've always been interested in trying to make my own cabs, partly down to not being able to afford the kind of cabs I'd like, my only concern would be getting a professional enough finish to keep me happy.
[/quote]

Go for it! The bright side is you can find that out before you spend the money on the drivers :)

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1386687983' post='2303101']
I've always been interested in trying to make my own cabs, partly down to not being able to afford the kind of cabs I'd like, my only concern would be [u]getting a professional enough finish[/u] to keep me happy.
[/quote]

Just slap some black paint on, that passes as acceptable on high end cabinets now.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1386686310' post='2303072']
I was just thinking about my comment and I think I was being dumb :lol:
[/quote]

I now have plans for the 2X12 Electric Bass version.
I don't think it would be breaching Bill's copyright to say that the bracing is comprehensive. :)

The recommended speakers seem to be Eminence Kappalites (amongst others). These are great speakers - in my Barefaced Dubster, previous Big One, and my Shermann 15/6/horn cab. They are also a phenomenal price now - 3015 both variants about £190. Cost it all up, every last little bit. Next start looking for a good s/h Barefaced or fEARful cab and think long and hard. Cab building can be very marginal. (I have built BFM bass cab, it was/is a nice thing. No longer used, it was big, the 3015LF is in another smaller cab). Cab building can be fun as well.

Edited by 3below

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1386691726' post='2303142']
Interested.

Do the plans tell you what drivers to use? I assume so....
[/quote]
If you go to the forum on Bill's site, and check out the section on cab SPLs, each graph for the Simplexx range states the driver used. Most graphs show 10 or 12 inch Deltalites, with the Kappalites coming in for the 15 inch designs.

David

ok..I'll bite. since I bang on about presentation or build QC on other cabs....

Not sure the pic/drawing presented in the OP comes across too well...
and by that, I mean, I can't tell whether it is a good drawing and representative of
the end product or a bad representation...?

Other makers would/do get stick for that....but since this is a pic..I assume..
I can't really make a comment on the build quality..but then if a self build,
that would, in the most part, be the remit of the cab maker.

If I was going for a self build, I would take shoddy cabinet making out of the equation
and get someone in who would do it well. Whether that makes the exercise cost effective, would be another issue.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1386795333' post='2304775']
Just what it says.
[/quote]
You've been quite critical of BFMs older designs at times, so the statement "up to his usual standards" coming from you looks like a barely disguised dig. If you [i]do [/i]have reservations about the designs, it might be more useful to bring them up for discussion than to leave veiled remarks.
Of course, I could be reading too much into your comment but either way, some clarification wouldn't be a bad idea.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1386796034' post='2304790']
Not sure the pic/drawing presented in the OP comes across too well... and by that, I mean, I can't tell whether it is a good drawing and representative of the end product or a bad representation..?
[/quote]

They are in an unfinished state. The baffles would be painted (my choice would be black, of course) and the outer surfaces covered with vinyl, carpet, or painted with Tuff Cab, then fitted with handles, corner protectors and other hardware of your choosing. As Bill doesn't make the cabs himself, the finish would be totally dependent on the skill level of the builder.

Edited by discreet