Why become a member? ×

New Bill Fitzmaurice 'Simplexx' Cabs

discreet

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1386796034' post='2304790']
Not sure the pic/drawing presented in the OP comes across too well...
and by that, I mean, I can't tell whether it is a good drawing and representative of
the end product or a bad representation...?
[/quote]

It's the sauna series!

Can't comment on them... never head one of these Simplexx cabs.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any thoughts at how the Simplexx 1x12" with the Kappalite 3012LF would compare to one of the fearless f112 (also based around 3012LF) designs sonically?

The greenboy design is 3 way (crossed over to a Faital M5N12-80 and either the Eminence APT80 tweeter or Faital HF102 compression driver), and I assume would require a more complicated crossover due to that. The f112 allows for tilt back monitoring as the cab is shaped a bit like a monitor. I assume it gives up a little low end because I guess the internal volume is reduced due to its shape.

Is a 2 way design intrinsically better than a 3 way design?

Edited by funkle

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1388094641' post='2318550']
Anyone have any thoughts at how the Simplexx 1x12" with the Kappalite 3012LF would compare to one of the fearless f112 (also based around 3012LF) designs sonically?
[/quote]

The 3012LF is one of the recommended drivers, but so is the 3012HO - which personally I prefer in most situations - I have HOs in my Jack 12s. Your mileage may vary, of course. :)

Edited by discreet

I bought the Simplexx 12" plans too. Great reading.

I'd have to get someone else to do the build, but reading the plans has been a helpful education, in so far as it has gone.

I'm a lover of deep low end (played Acmes last 5 years), and have found new happiness with a Berg IP112ER. It's heavy, though, and it'd be good to have another 12" which is a bit lighter, but still a satisfying low end. The Berg HD112 was a bit too woolly sounding and the CN112 seems a bit middy to me - I guess I'm used to a relaxed sounding midrange.

I tried Alex's BB2 and it's a little 'tight' on the low end for me. A great cab though. Beautiful sounding mids and high end.

Coming from Acmes, everything else is lighter on the low end. However, the fEARful stuff is probably just a notch below in low end content, then the fearless stuff after that, I think. The Simplexx cab with a 3012LF I think will probably have a low end similar to fEARful, and maybe a bit more than the fearless. Just me surmising from guessing at box volumes.

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1386852799' post='2305332']
To my knowledge, I've never criticised BF's designs. I think, BoB, you're getting me mixed up with Lawrence, who built some Jacks and was less than impressed. But I'm sure some people will be very happy with these new designs.
[/quote]

I have been critical but I've tried to be balanced - the Jacks I built were very good for a certain type of electric bass sound with excellent low-mid clarity, but unusable for PA IMO regardless of EQ, with piezo option at least.

One thing worth bearing in mind when sizing up the BFM designs as a novice is that the build prices just don't translate to the UK, unfortunately (same applies to any DIY design). Especially true if buying tools - the cheap stuff you get here really is unusably awful, but in the US the equivalent price range seems to be much more acceptable quality and their pro stuff is less than half the price it is here. I had a lot of fun with demonically possessed circular saws, in particular...

Edited by LawrenceH

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1388153853' post='2318930']
I have been critical but I've tried to be balanced - the Jacks I built were very good for a certain type of electric bass sound with excellent low-mid clarity, but unusable for PA IMO regardless of EQ, with piezo option at least.

One thing worth bearing in mind when sizing up the BFM designs as a novice is that the build prices just don't translate to the UK, unfortunately (same applies to any DIY design). Especially true if buying tools - the cheap stuff you get here really is unusably awful, but in the US the equivalent price range seems to be much more acceptable quality and their pro stuff is less than half the price it is here. I had a lot of fun with demonically possessed circular saws, in particular...
[/quote] useful info (the tool info :) )

Bill's plans are excellent and they're hugely satisfying to build if you are so inclined. Bill invests huge amounts of time, experience and knowledge into creating plans for speakers that really work and can give great results. As a builder of his designs I have made about 90 cabs (various designs) from his range. I doubt I'll get asked to make many simplexx cabs as the simplicity of design will make it easy for the majority of people to make their own. I'm happy to take orders for finished or unfinished cabs nonetheless ;-)
Anyone who thinks making a diy cab is a cheap option may have to rethink. Yes you can make savings but everything in the UK that you need for cab building costs a lot more than it does in the states. It's also much more difficult to find the right ply at a decent price if you're ordering in small quantities for just a single cab. People are often put off by prices I quote but I don't make massive profit on any build and at the end of the day I'm putting together bespoke kit for the customer. Spend time pricing all the parts (and remember to take delivery fees into account) and then decide if it's worth it for you.
Finish wise that's entirely down to the builder. Discreet did a smashing job finishing his cab in his thread on here so with the right patience and imagination you could do whatever you want.
All ill add is that if you build a BFM cab properly and follow bill's eq advice properly you won't be disappointed.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1388236155' post='2319756']
All ill add is that if you build a BFM cab properly and follow bill's eq advice properly you won't be disappointed.
[/quote]

:rolleyes: Except I did all that and was.
These simplexx designs will surely work as well as any other based around these drivers. However, I don't think these drivers are as good as it gets any more

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1388337161' post='2320921']
:rolleyes: Except I did all that and was.
These simplexx designs will surely work as well as any other based around these drivers. However, I don't think these drivers are as good as it gets any more
[/quote]

If you're going to make a statement like that, it would be quite helpful if you qualified it by saying which drivers you do think are as good as it gets :)

(Not being snarky, genuinely interested in good alternatives to the often-recommended Eminence Kappalite, such as the Beyma SM212 which I was recommended, and have used to excellent effect in my recent DIY cab build)

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1388341119' post='2320988']
If you're going to make a statement like that, it would be quite helpful if you qualified it by saying which drivers you do think are as good as it gets :)
[/quote]

I'm not sure this is the thread for this but I'd happily discuss it more over PM. As with the tools, there is a price differential with drivers between the US and the UK that makes the Eminence more attractive over there than they are here, in my opinion.

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1388362854' post='2321314']
I'm not sure this is the thread for this but I'd happily discuss it more over PM. As with the tools, there is a price differential with drivers between the US and the UK that makes the Eminence more attractive over there than they are here, in my opinion.
[/quote] I'ld be interested in hearing your driver wisdom too.... (edit- but not in this thread about Bill's designs obviously) I've been looking at some eminence based designs and wondering if there are better drivers for the cost this side of the pond...

Edited by LukeFRC

[quote name='funkle' timestamp='1388094641' post='2318550']

The greenboy design is 3 way (crossed over to a Faital M5N12-80 and either the Eminence APT80 tweeter or Faital HF102 compression driver), and I assume would require a more complicated crossover due to that. The f112 allows for tilt back monitoring as the cab is shaped a bit like a monitor. I assume it gives up a little low end because I guess the internal volume is reduced due to its shape.

Is a 2 way design intrinsically better than a 3 way design?
[/quote] I've been asking this question too... but with the 12/6/1, but the F112 has same tweeter (the APT80) as simplexx... I know which one would be cheaper to build! :)

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1388590752' post='2323736']
I've been asking this question too... but with the 12/6/1, but the F112 has same tweeter (the APT80) as simplexx... I know which one would be cheaper to build! :)
[/quote]I did not make the Simplexx as 3 ways because their intent was to be inexpensive and easy to build. For the same reason I didn't design them around $300+ drivers. Besides, if one wants a 3 way that will leave fEarfuls in the dust there's already the Omni 12 and Omni 15 designs, currently on tour with The Animals. B)

Edited by Bill Fitzmaurice

I've looked into building a fEARFUL cab, and when I worked out the cost it simply didn't make sense. It cost a slight bit more than buying a premium brand cab second hand (with similar spec).

I personally think the big plus of the BFM cabs is that they are designed to be able to take drivers at different price points. Hence it's easier to budget.

The big problem in the UK is the price and availability of parts :(

I posted a few questions over on the BFM forum in regards the Simplexx 12 and the 3012LF and got some helpful responses.

I've included links below for your ease of reading, if desired:

http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=21075

http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=21073