Why become a member? ×

NEED HELP PICKING A JAZZ BASS

JamesFlashG

Ok so i am really unsure what i want mainly because i have not had the option to play many only to read about them, I have around £1000 budget so i can get something pretty nice second hand for that price i think, i would prefer a 5 string bass i have been looking at:

Fender jazz deluxe 4 & 5
Fender Precision deluxe (P/J config)
Fender Marcus miller sig (v)
Mayones Jabba 5
Sandberg TM5
Overwater classic Jazz (probably will struggle for one of these with my budget)
G & L JB
Lakland

any other suggestions for me to check out? I'm basically going to make a list and contact somewhere in london that has a huge stock of basses ( the bass gallery is the only place I know of?) and just spend a day playing them and comparing because i really don't want to buy something without playing it first!

so please give me your thoughts on the above basses and any others you can think of like i said mainly interested in jazz style basses but also quite interested in a P/J config as well!

[quote name='JamesFlashG' timestamp='1386513598' post='2300871']
Ok so i am really unsure what i want mainly because i have not had the option to play many only to read about them, I have around £1000 budget so i can get something pretty nice second hand for that price i think, i would prefer a 5 string bass i have been looking at:

Fender jazz deluxe 4 & 5
Mayones Jabba 5
Sandberg TM5
G & L JB
Lakland

any other suggestions for me to check out? I'm basically going to make a list and contact somewhere in london that has a huge stock of basses ( the bass gallery is the only place I know of?) and just spend a day playing them and comparing because i really don't want to buy something without playing it first!

so please give me your thoughts on the above basses and any others you can think of like i said mainly interested in jazz style basses but also quite interested in a P/J config as well!
[/quote]

If you're going to be London way I have an Overwater Jazz 5 for sale that you can try out.

Not on your list, but this will be a pretty special bass...just not sure what the price will be.

[url="http://www.acguitars.co.uk/acg_admin/wordpress/stock-super-j-type-5/"]http://www.acguitars.co.uk/acg_admin/wordpress/stock-super-j-type-5/[/url]

The ACG Graft range are outstanding value for money too at around £800 for a passive Jazz type bass.

[quote name='JamesFlashG' timestamp='1386513598' post='2300871']

Fender jazz deluxe 4 & 5
Mayones Jabba 5
Sandberg TM5
G & L JB
Lakland

[/quote]
[quote name='OliverBlackman' timestamp='1386514156' post='2300878']
If you're going to be London way I have an Overwater Jazz 5 for sale that you can try out.
[/quote]

Of the basses on your list, Oliver's Overwater Jazz will almost certainly be in a different class in terms of overall build quality. I've played plenty of Overwaters over the years ( although never a Jazz Bass) and they were all what you would expect from a top quality handmade bass.

One thing to consider for any of the basses you are considering or that people recommend is do you like or even prefer a 35 inch scale length? If so then you options are more numerous, but if not you can forget about the Lakland for a start. Some Overwaters are also 35 inches for the fives, but not all of them I think , so you would need to look into that. The Fenders you list are not so great as five strings , in my experience( although I have not played the Marcus Miller) . The preamps were indifferent at best , and the low B was definitely weak and dissappointing on all the five string Am Deluxe basses I have played .

On that note, if you are shopping for a five , two things to consider as priorities are how does the low B sound in its' own right and also in relation to the other strings( i.e if it is uniform in tone and timbre ) , and is the string spacing comfortable for you ? If either or both of those things don't please you then chances are you will never be happy with or enjoy playing the bass.

[quote name='OliverBlackman' timestamp='1386514156' post='2300878']
[/quote]

sounds good i would like to try it out sometime can't say i will commit to buy though want to try out a range first, I live in SW london give me a Pm with your details and we can arrange a date to meet up? it is a lovely looking bass :) looks quite heavy though

Edited by JamesFlashG

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1386516017' post='2300902']
Of the basses on your list, Oliver's Overwater Jazz will almost certainly be in a different class in terms of overall build quality. I've played plenty of Overwaters over the years ( although never a Jazz Bass) and they were all what you would expect from a top quality handmade bass.

One thing to consider for any of the basses you are considering or that people recommend is do you like or even prefer a 35 inch scale length? If so then you options are more numerous, but if not you can forget about the Lakland for a start. Some Overwaters are also 35 inches for the fives, but not all of them I think , so you would need to look into that. The Fenders you list are not so great as five strings , in my experience( although I have not played the Marcus Miller) . The preamps were indifferent at best , and the low B was definitely weak and dissappointing on all the five string Am Deluxe basses I have played .

On that note, if you are shopping for a five , two things to consider as priorities are how does the low B sound in its' own right and also in relation to the other strings( i.e if it is uniform in tone and timbre ) , and is the string spacing comfortable for you ? If either or both of those things don't please you then chances are you will never be happy with or enjoy playing the bass.
[/quote]

thanks for input makes a lot of sense, I currently play 4 string 34 inch scale basses, a warwick thumb and fender precision. i must say these feel very comfortable and natural to me. I do also own a 35 inch scale 6 string bass an Ibanez BTB676 that I very rarely play these days but it was my first bass for a number of years and when i played it a lot i did feel comfortable on it! I was under the impression the longer scale length then the better sounding the B string so i would not mind have a 35" 5 stringer as i know i do get on with this size but the string spacing can be a big issue for for me, any smaller than 18mm at the bridge and it starts to feel awkward when playing with certain techniques

Edited by JamesFlashG

I played a P/J configured Fender Precision Deluxe 4 this weekend just gone and I liked that a lot. The best of all worlds almost. Jazz bridge growl, classic Precision thump and a passive/active switch. Best thing to do is what you're planning. Go to a store with lots of basses and play them. I'm in the same process myself right now.

As you're in London you NEED to take a look down Denmark Street. There's a parade of music shops there.

Also, take a look at the ESP Ltd jazz basses. I've got a 5 string fretless, but they do fretted too.. of course. They're well under your budget and have plenty of punch and deep bass tone.

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/esp_ltd_b204sm_fl_natural_satin.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/esp_ltd_b204sm_fl_natural_satin.htm[/url] - one example

I'm biased, I've been playing Lakland basses for 10 years, so I'd recommend them over the others on your list.

I'd look at 55-01's and, if you want the up rated pickups and pre amp, the 55-02's. I believe there are some in the FS section.

They are great playing and sounding instruments, a lot of bass for the money.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1386583663' post='2301646']
I'm biased, I've been playing Lakland basses for 10 years, so I'd recommend them over the others on your list.

I'd look at 55-01's and, if you want the up rated pickups and pre amp, the 55-02's. I believe there are some in the FS section.

[/quote]

Like this one?

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/224246-lakland-55-02-deluxe-cherryburstmaple/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/224246-lakland-55-02-deluxe-cherryburstmaple/page__fromsearch__1[/url]

[quote name='JamesFlashG' timestamp='1386519713' post='2300956']
thanks for input makes a lot of sense, I currently play 4 string 34 inch scale basses, a warwick thumb and fender precision. i must say these feel very comfortable and natural to me. I do also own a 35 inch scale 6 string bass an Ibanez BTB676 that I very rarely play these days but it was my first bass for a number of years and when i played it a lot i did feel comfortable on it! I was under the impression the longer scale length then the better sounding the B string so i would not mind have a 35" 5 stringer as i know i do get on with this size but the string spacing can be a big issue for for me, any smaller than 18mm at the bridge and it starts to feel awkward when playing with certain techniques
[/quote] this ist not on your list but may fit string spacing 17mm just check out the video here
[b] [url="http://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video&cd=3&cad=rja&ved=0CEgQtwIwAg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DwJ9QSEaUK90&ei=L6alUumpA4eHtQbkloCoAg&usg=AFQjCNHxLQRuBdccngXsxXO6Ss3I8ptbhQ&bvm=bv.57752919,d.Yms"][i]FERNANDES[/i] RETROSPECT 5 DELUXE JP [i]BASS[/i] REVIEW - YouTube[/url][/b]

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ9QSEaUK90

Another vote for an ACG Graft J Type.
Choice of 33", 34" or 35" scale.
High quality components, Hipshot, Gotoh etcs.
Choice of pickups, singlecoil, humbucking and precision style, any combination you want, all custom hand wound by Armstrong Pickups for ACG.
45mm nut, 18mm spacing at the bridge.
Completely hand made with incredible attention to detail.
5 string passive for £795 or active, with some John East bits and bobs for £875, insane value for money :)

</2p>
Eude

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1386583663' post='2301646']

[/quote]

I've been playing a 44-02 over the last few days, and I can hardly believe what great basses these are for sensible money. The preamp and pickups are first-rate, all the hardware is top-class ( even the rubberised control knobs feel good to use) , and the overall sound is what you would expect from a bass in the £2000-3000 price range. They are so versatile that you never get bored with them , either. If you don't mind 35 inch scale, I'm sure the 55-02 would be another great choice. I like Lakland basses a lot, and in terms of bang for your buck or punch for your pound ( hey , I just made that up! I'm wasted round here , to be honest with you ) these 44 and 55 Series basses with those pickups and that preamp are unbeatable.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='JamesFlashG' timestamp='1386797433' post='2304821']
nice i will deffo add a 55-02 to my list to try out and these ACG's people are talking about not heard this name before but been checking them out I'm quite interested, I'm thinking it might be bait harder though to come across one to try out?
[/quote]

Possibly worth asking Alan at ACG if any owners are in your vicinity, most of us are quite affable :) . Certainly in London there ar some ACGers.

Edited by ead