Why become a member? ×

Which bass is yours?

danfergie123

I've got a heavily modded Geddy too - actually it's just the neck from my Geddy, which never really sounded the way I wanted, mated with a 2004 black USA S1 J bass body (I didn't like the neck it had on it...) with a Badass 3 and some nice old 70's Fender tuners added.
It's now magnificent - looks fab and sounds fabber, with the added advantage of the Geddy neck!
This one is truly mine. It's the first one I reach for for gigs, every time.

Oh, and I put the leftover parts together and got 350 quid for the resulting bass :) (which was pretty darn good, actually....)

Edited by Hellrazor

I'm not really sure if it is within reason to add mine to the list. However, I wanted to answer the question anyway. Why do I love playing my bass? It's because it is exactly what I wanted it to be. I have always had a bug bear about all the things that a great deal of 'off the shelf' basses have that I really couldn't get on with. There was only one thing to do to overcome those issues to get exactly the instrument I needed...

Once again, here she is in all her nakedness....

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3746"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=3746[/url]

you Shuker perv DJV! lol - knew you wouldnt be able to resist this thread man!

I have to go with thebeat here - the classic Ric "CLUNK" sound does it for me, which is why ive had one for 8 years and dont really play anything else at gigs. Would like a Gibbo EB-3 / LP for that "WOOOZZSHHZZ" fuzz sound though. Everyth now and then. For sh1ts and giggles, y' know.

Guys and Gals! At the moment I have 6 basses on the go. In no particular order they are Jap 57 p bass, ibanez sr500, vintage musicman copy, epi thunderbird, Mike Dirnt squire p bass with upgraded pick up and gotoh bridge and highway 2 jazz. At gigs I usually pick up the jazz or jap p as they look good and are dependable but the ibanez is fantastic! Had a few soundgear`s before but as has been mentioned elsewhere, the pick ups were designed for playing metal and sound crap on anything else. The bartolins on the 500 are superb and I would play this all the time if I didn`t have the fenders.

As for the thunderbird, I only bought it cause of Pete Way of UFO fame. It`s a dog to play as you need to wear it doon at your knees to make it balance half decent, but its loud for a passive bass. Also, never buy one if you are a shortarse! As for the vintage, it lies around in it`s bag from one gig to another as my back up.

Really, I wish I was like Herbie Flowers and just used the one bass but you see something and you just have to have it!

Here`s a picture of Fred the fender

[attachment=10620:SUNP0055.JPG]

Great thread! I've owned various Fender, Warwick, Musicman, and Ibanez basses over the years, but the one bass which simply feels right is my 70s reissue Precision. Vintage white, black guard, rosewood neck - very Sid Vicious. Its not the best made bass I own, and certainly not the most versatile, but it just feels and sounds right. And it looks cool!

I have 4 basses ranging from a Harley Benton to a Hugh Manson but the one that is really 'my bass' is my Fender Performer. The sound is quite similar to a Jazz in many respects but what make its it such a joy to play is the pencil thin neck. Throw in the unique styling and the rarity factor (come on, how many have you seen?) and it just seems to make it a bit special. It's old and battered but that just adds character and means I'm not afraid to fling it about a bit! Other basses will come and go but I think this one is here for as long as I play bass.

elom

I've owned and played a fair amount of basses, nothing like some of you that have 50 basses lol. :)

My ONLY bass now is my Sadowsky Tokyo 5. Very comfortable to play, Growly and Tight lows, simply the nicest 5string that I've ever had my grubby hands on.

I've tried Jerzy's, Ritters, etc, none fit me better than that.

[url="http://shw.fotopages.com/18183355/My-Sadowsky-Tokyo-wub.html"]Sadowsky Tokyo 5[/url]

It could only be the Warmoth '54 sparkly number for me.

It balances perfectly, the neck is perfect, it sounds perfect and it feels perfect but i couldn't have bought it without trying a good 30-40 other basses out to find out what i wanted.

I love the look of regular precisions but always hated the sound and the single coil pickup is such a good sounding pickup.

Also always helps to have the right amp and cab and the combination of the bass, the 700RB II and the Schroeder 1212L is perfection as far as I am concerned.

I only wish that Warmoth made a 12 string bass neck and bridge and I'd have one of those as well.

I own one bass.
Why? Coz I only need one bass - that's my trusty black Aria Pro II which I love. It's a cracking instrument for the sorts of things that I like to play, it has a great balance for me, it's very accessible, I love it's feel and it's tone, it's extremely hard-wearing and it looks great too! :)

(That said I *may* be getting an EpiphoneThunderbird later in the year)...

The Stingray is for all my funk and slapping needs, for me it's the ultimate funk bass. Next up is the Jazz which has more options to it, it can funk it up - but also suit pretty much anything else. Have had 5/6 strings and found they didn't work in the music I played at the time, but I do fancy a MM styled 5 again.

I am a long way from being unhappy with production basses, I haven't had enough yet to decide if i'd even want a custom.

Lakland Skyline Darryl Jones 4. I've been so impressed with mine over the year that I've had it that I just had to get a spare.

"Honestly Love, if the one breaks a string during a song the rest of the song wouldn't sound right on another type of bass and I don't want to be the one to let the whole band down."

it must be my old precision. it has been my go-to bass since I bought it in 1977 and I just love it. I dont play it much thought as my wick's suit a soem of the music I do much better and I don't want to take her out to gigs anymore. I was actually on Denmark Street today to see if I could find a good older Pbass BUT.....early-mid 70's seem to go for £1,700!......roughly twice as much as i had hoped!

my '76 maple Precision with flat wounds. It is soul goodness. Fairly high action, good for legato and for pumping 8th notes. It records well, it's just so....authentic.

L2 Steinberger. it plays good, stays in tune, you can't break it, it offers a lot of tonal variety "on the fly".