Why become a member? ×

Dug out my Dad's old albums recently

JamesBass

My brother has all of my Dad's old vinyl. It contains most of the 1970s output of Yes, Pink Floyd, Genesis and a few other prog outfits. The earlier stuff includes the first albums by the Stones, Who and Beatles, although most of his 7" vinyl from that era got left at parties, which is a shame. The odd thing is that my Dad gave up listening to music almost entirely in the late 1970s, as his record collection pretty much stops in 1979. Made me worry when I was younger that maybe it was normal to lose interest in music. Hasn't happened yet though :-)

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1386192638' post='2297133']
That conjured up a comical image of a load of Rastas invading modern day Poland and having a massive Rave with all those fit Polish birds.
[/quote]

The workings of your mind are , as always, an enigma to me.

All the fit women in Poland? Do you mean the same Poland as the rest of us i.e the Poland next to Germany but before you get to Russia ? Not the first place that comes to mind when it comes to sex tourism ,to be honest with you, but what do I know? Maybe it's because I grew up in the era of Soviet -enforced Communism and the Eastern Block , but I cannot equate anything sexy with Eastern Europe.

That fellow from Solidarity , Lech Walesa ( yes , I had to look up how to spell that) , had a lovely moustache, but we better not go there...

Found some UFO, T-Rex, Saxon and 10cc today, all good bands I remember from growing up, just haven't listened to this sort of stuff for about a decade now, shame really, but I suppose when you're 10 it's not good to like your Dad's music, especially when all my mates were in to the modern rock/POP-Punk stuff, like Blink 182 and Foo Fighters.

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1386254303' post='2297767']
Found some UFO, T-Rex, Saxon and 10cc today, all good bands I remember from growing up, just haven't listened to this sort of stuff for about a decade now, shame really, but I suppose when you're 10 it's not good to like your Dad's music, especially when all my mates were in to the modern rock/POP-Punk stuff, like Blink 182 and Foo Fighters.
[/quote]

You should never be embarrassed if you're caught listening to old school rock by mates who are into the likes of Blink 182. :)

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1386248755' post='2297654']

That fellow from Solidarity , Lech Walesa ( yes , I had to look up how to spell that) , had a lovely moustache, but we better not go there...
[/quote]

You are a sick individual. Lol.....

What's this about you getting banned from ot. What the hell did you do. I've not been going there much as I didn't have the time to rationalise with the irrational anymore. I've been over there lately and your absence has been noted.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1386249716' post='2297674']
I was a big fan when I was about 12 (I had all of their LPs (on vinyl) and remember listening to them in my school uniform). Then I discovered Yes and that was the end of ELO ;)
[/quote]

In honour of Spike Milligan I have to ask - what were ELO doing in your school uniform?

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1386607382' post='2302095']
In honour of Spike Milligan I have to ask - what were ELO doing in your school uniform?
[/quote]
That's an image i won't be able to get out of my head for a while.

Brilliant. :lol:

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1386607382' post='2302095']

[/quote]"Buying a tie."

If that quote is a complete non-sequitur I have misunderstood you, for which I apologise.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1386187633' post='2296983']
10538 Overture was the first single I ever bought. I thought it was great (still do) even though somewhat of a rip off of I Am the Walrus.

But nothing they did after that had the same effect on me. Can't explain why really. I suppose it didn't sound dramatic enough somehow.

Fair play to the OP though for getting into some quality stuff. :-)
[/quote]

That's because 10538 Overture is mostly the work of the far more talented Roy Wood.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1386620193' post='2302334']
The writing of the song might be credited to Lynne, but as even Wikipedia acknowledges, most of what what made it unique from an arrangement and production PoV was down to Roy Wood.
[/quote]

I don't doubt the input of Wood, just questioning the 'mainly' comment.

Wood left ELO almost as soon as it was started but they didn't seem to suffer too much from his departure and, with the exception of Wizzard's eternal Christmas hit, seemed to go on to enjoy more enduring success than Wood.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1386624257' post='2302427']
I'm 60 but certainly wasn't listening to anything like ELO in the 70s. That was thought of as TOTP fodder at the time to me. This was a rich period for music so surely there must be some Dads out there that were into The Clash, Joy Division etc.
[/quote]

The drab but fascinating reality of life in Britain in the 1970's has become all but lost in the general public perception of that era , which become so skewed by silly fantasy versions where everyone had big afros and wore spangly flares and danced to ABBA at discotheques with flashing lights under the dancefloor . The prevailing collective anxieties of a declining post-Imperial , post-industrial society and the undercurrent of menace and casual violence that prevailed have been airbrushed from the collective imagination,, but those things were what characterised that time in this country.

The point of that is that I am genuinely interested to know , what was the [u][i]real [/i][/u]soundtrack to the '70's? Was it what what the majority of folks were listening to, which was whatever the sinister and incredibly influential men at Radio 1 ( they had what was in effect a State-run monopoly over pop music at the time ) told them to listen to and buy, or was it the more experimental music that was a product of and reaction to those social conditions? Joy Division , inadvertantly or otherwise, sound like the embodiment of decaying urban Britain in the late 1970's , but then again , hardly anyone was listening to them at the time and their legend has grown over time , and Mull Of Kintyre or Mr Blue Sky say just as much about the same things by implication of what they self-conciously chose to focus on [i]instead[/i] of those things.

ELO were indeed another mainstream top 40 act that seemed to most of us to make notable but ultimately disposable chart music . Just like with ABBA ( who were derided by" serious" music fans at the time as being trite, throwaway pop), it's only now that people have taken a step back and realised the intricacies and sheer artistry of their music. All I would add to what has already been said is that Jeff Lynne has got one of the great rock and roll voices , and his vocals are pivotal in making those ELO records so distinctive.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1386627828' post='2302490']
I don't doubt the input of Wood, just questioning the 'mainly' comment.

Wood left ELO almost as soon as it was started but they didn't seem to suffer too much from his departure and, with the exception of Wizzard's eternal Christmas hit, seemed to go on to enjoy more enduring success than Wood.
[/quote]

ELO was basically Roy Wood's idea for a way to develop the music of The Move and the idea of a more orchestral sound was used in part to persuade Jeff Lynne to join the band in the first place.

Obviously the combination of Wood and Lynne didn't turn out as Wood imagined and he left after the 1st album (he plays on, but is uncredited on a couple of the tracks from the second ELO album) to form Wizzard. If all you recall of Wizzard is the Christmas single then you are need to search out the first album "Wizzard Brew" and be in for a bit of a shock. Also the two singles that preceded "I wish it could be Christmas every day" both made it to number one in the UK charts.

There's no denying that Jeff Lynne did very well with taking a single idea from Roy Wood and spinning it out successfully for as long as he did, but listening to the Wizzard albums it is obvious (IMO at least) that Roy Wood was the one with the more interesting music overall.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1386624257' post='2302427'] surely there must be some Dads out there that were into The Clash, Joy Division etc.
[/quote]
I'm a dad - do I count?

My dad is into classical and opera - he has hundreds of classical albums!
He would play piano all afternoon on a Sunday - Chopin, Grieg and Debussey mostly

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1386679122' post='2302936']
My dad is into classical and opera - he has hundreds of classical albums!
He would play piano all afternoon on a Sunday - Chopin, Grieg and Debussey mostly
[/quote]
That really sounds fantastic. Yesterday i was listening to Debussy's Complete Piano Music on cd but to sit in room with someone playing something like that on a Sunday afternoon is a bit mind blowing to me. Brilliant.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1386679454' post='2302943']
That really sounds fantastic. Yesterday i was listening to Debussy's Complete Piano Music on cd but to sit in room with someone playing something like that on a Sunday afternoon is a bit mind blowing to me. Brilliant.
[/quote]
it got a bit tedious when he played the same pieces week in and week out, sometimes several times over.

I wish I'd stuck at piano but I gave it up as my teacher creeped me out - he was bent as a nine bob note and sat too close if you get my drift...I was a mere boy of 9 or 10 at that time and it made me feel extremely uncomfortable.