Why become a member? ×

Dug out my Dad's old albums recently

JamesBass

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1386677431' post='2302901']
If all you recall of Wizzard is the Christmas single then you are need to search out the first album "Wizzard Brew" and be in for a bit of a shock.
[/quote]

Having to search out Wizzard stuff is my basic point.

. . . it is obvious (IMO at least) . . .
[/quote]

;)

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1386683375' post='2303026']
Having to search out Wizzard stuff is my basic point.
[/quote]

If you were interested in popular music in the early 70s then Wizzard would have been far better known at the time than ELO. After Roy Wood left ELO it took them another 3 albums to really find their way (and the hits) under Jeff Lynne. Wizzard had immediate success with their first 4 singles, and their interesting but very different albums - in the days when albums and singles could be completely separate. I suggested listening to Wizzard Brew so you could see who at the time was making the more interesting recordings.

All this discussion came about because Seashell asked why she like the first ELO single but wasn't particularly bothered about any of their subsequent work, and IMO Roy Wood is the person who made the difference.

There's no denying that Jeff Lynne did very well with taking a single idea from Roy Wood and spinning it out successfully for as long as he did, but listening to the Wizzard albums it is obvious (IMO at least) that Roy Wood was the one with the more interesting music overall.
[/quote]

I think that last part is entirely subjective. Lynne's arranging abilities brought him closer to the likes of someone like Brian Wilson in terms of an unreal talent, and I don't think it's obvious at all that Roy Wood's music was more interesting. It does major disservice to Jeff Lynne who was responsible for writing some excellent music.

Earlier this year I discovered that one of our number plays for an ELO tribute band, "ELO Experience". Went to see them locally and it was absolutely top notch. If you like ELO then they are well worth going to see when they are in your area. Complete with two cellos and sounded just like the real thing. Brought back a lot of memories of songs I'd forgotten I'd forgotten.

I think the fundamental stylistric difference between ELO and Wizard was that ELO were derivative of the Beatles and Wizard were derivative of Phil Spector.

At the time ELO were thought of as a mainstrean pop act, but Wizard were a bubblegum pop act, thought of as a bit of a novelty band. Because of that, maybe some of Roy Wood's artistry has been overlooked, but just like Jeff Lynne and ELO, there is no doubt he was a very smart guy with a musical vision. Looking at their work and comparing it, you would have to say that Jeff Lynne was more prolific and more consistant at making artistically and commercially successful records.

Edited by Dingus

Without Roy Wood there would have been no ELO at all. It was his concept, and he played most of the "orchestral" instruments on the first album. Jeff Lynne might have been the one to make it eventually work commercially, but I wonder how successful the band would have been without the attraction of the string section.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1386705411' post='2303458']
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Yep, and Jeff Lynne seems to have maintained that same 'perm and shades' look to this very day.

I reckon it's just a disguise so he can take them off and walk the streets unmolested by rampant ELO fans.
[/quote]

Rampant ELO fans- yes , that must be a very real danger :lol: .

I met Roy Wood in the 90's. I believe he had a place in Derbyshire at the time and would occasionally just turn up, on his own, unannounced and not remotely doing any 'look at me' stuff at the Sat night rock nights at Rock City. I'm not one for pestering people but having heard his stuff over the years and couldn't help but thank him for all the great music through the years and he should let me know next time he wanted a drink as it was on me. He didn't take me up on the offer but seemed genuinely touched that his music was still loved and was a very down to earth humble character. I'm not getting into a 'Roy v Jeff' thing, been done to death. I think if you listen to Jeff's pre-ELO band 'The Idle Race' you can definitely hear things that sound similar to what ended up on early ELO albums so they were both bringing ideas to the table. I really like the second album, some gloriously dark stuff compared to the later commercial work but I like other later material in its own way too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6afzcy6zlhs

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1386755507' post='2303968']
I met Roy Wood in the 90's. I believe he had a place in Derbyshire at the time and would occasionally just turn up, on his own, unannounced and not remotely doing any 'look at me' stuff at the Sat night rock nights at Rock City. I'm not one for pestering people but having heard his stuff over the years and couldn't help but thank him for all the great music through the years and he should let me know next time he wanted a drink as it was on me. He didn't take me up on the offer but seemed genuinely touched that his music was still loved and was a very down to earth humble character. I'm not getting into a 'Roy v Jeff' thing, been done to death. I think if you listen to Jeff's pre-ELO band 'The Idle Race' you can definitely hear things that sound similar to what ended up on early ELO albums so they were both bringing ideas to the table. I really like the second album, some gloriously dark stuff compared to the later commercial work but I like other later material in its own way too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6afzcy6zlhs
[/quote]

We did a charity gig in Derbyshire where the headline was Roy Wood. The promoter appeared to be utterly terrified of him and spent a lot of the time looking worried and saying "Mr Wood wouldn't like that". The bands at the bottom of the bill weren't even allowed to use the same stage. I didn't meet him, in fact I left before he played, but I've assumed since that he must be a bit of a jerk. In view of your experience, maybe I should revise that. Perhaps it was just the promoter.

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

Well spiny it was the briefest of meetings but he didn't come across as 'starry' at all. I saw him on a couple of other different nights at the same club but didn't bother him. On one occasion as I left the club in the early hours I saw him pottering off down the street on his own, presumably to find a taxi home.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1386791274' post='2304682']
This has turned into an elo thread. What about . . . mungo jerry, . . . ?
[/quote]

One of the bands I'm in used to cover a Mungo jerry song . . . no, not [u]that[/u] one, this one (we played it a bit 'punkier' though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RedM0X1tWE

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1386791274' post='2304682']
This has turned into an elo thread. What about Neil diamond, mungo jerry, Lynne Anderson , the rubettes boney m etc. ?
[/quote]
That's strange because when i think of ELO i also think of those performers. Very 70s middle of the road pop pop-pickers.

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1386793947' post='2304745']

That's strange because when i think of ELO i also think of those performers. Very 70s middle of the road pop pop-pickers.
[/quote]

When I was a kid, listening on my parents dansette, all of the above were played along with mud etc. now where is the o p ?;)