Why become a member? ×

Ramp on my Warwick

Bill

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1385758126' post='2292004']
Quick question for people that use a ramp or play over a pickup raised high - after you pluck the string does your fingers tips follow through into the ramp which is how it stops you digging in?
[/quote]

I would have to say yes for me, it definitely has that effect, Gary Willis and Matthew Garrison, tend to have an upwards fingering technique.

[quote name='Bill' timestamp='1385774516' post='2292206']

I would have to say yes for me, it definitely has that effect, Gary Willis and Matthew Garrison, tend to have an upwards fingering technique.
[/quote]

My techniques seems to be more diaganolly so when I raise my pups my fingers come to rest on pickup and stops me getting any weird overtones by inadvertently tapping the string below. I can't do the upwards technique very well

Edited by Greggo

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1385810923' post='2292400']

My techniques seems to be more diaganolly so when I raise my pups my fingers come to rest on pickup and stops me getting any weird overtones by inadvertently tapping the string below. I can't do the upwards technique very well
[/quote]

That's cool man - whatever works for you, and is comfortable I say stick with! I play fingers straight through the strings and back onto the previous string, but the upwards fingering style gives it a slightly different tone.. Sharper as apposed to smoother... It all has it's place I think! :-)

Talking of ramps on Warwicks... here's Jazzmunki (is that a euphamism?) demonstrating his neat 4 finger technique which a ramp helps. Matt Garrison developed this and Mr Munki here does a great funky job of applying it...

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCHMqajchDM&list=TL8DWzH0CVPb75BvvhgYPrFwyHxRa7Gris[/media]

Edited by visog

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1386454687' post='2300423']
Not for me then, I play in the gaps, seem to need the depth below strings. Everyone is different :)
[/quote]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I play differently per bass, i also have a 5 string Fender Jazz (without ramp) that i use for more of the Rock/Pop projects i play with which i really like to dig into on gigs! but when i go back to the Warwick i play with a lighter touch for a less harsh and more smoother sound! with the Fusion/Blues/Jazz stuff, so i kind of adjust to each instrument i have along with the genre, and not stay in the same playing style or strapped down to one technique.. i'm sure other guy's round here have the same situation. [/font][/color]

I'd post a picture of mine, if it had arrived :( .

I approached a luthier who posts on here sometimes to make me one. He said he would and it'd be £10 plus postage, which I duly paid by bank transfer.

Four days later still no ramp, so I emailed him and his reply "sorry, totally slipped my mind, I'll post it today". Today being Saturday and the time 2 o'clock in the afternoon, what post office is open at 2 o'clock Saturday ?

Anyway I emailed him back asking him if he'd send it by special delivery, I mean it's only a little bit of wood, and I did pay £3.50 postage. Special delivery is the only way it'll arrive before Christmas. He didn't reply to that email which has annoyed me to say the least.

I was gonna order 2 or 3 more for my other basses, if he doesn't send it special delivery then I won't be ordering from him again.

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1387735471' post='2315045']

How is the ramp secured?
[/quote]

I was told that the ramp is secured using a very thin but very strong double sided tape, the other option was a permanent fixture but I thought that the temporary fixture would be a lot smarter, for the fact that I might feel differently about it in the future or wanting to sell the bass (highly doubt it but you never know)

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1387746309' post='2315208']
I'd post a picture of mine, if it had arrived :( .

I approached a luthier who posts on here sometimes to make me one. He said he would and it'd be £10 plus postage, which I duly paid by bank transfer.

Four days later still no ramp, so I emailed him and his reply "sorry, totally slipped my mind, I'll post it today". Today being Saturday and the time 2 o'clock in the afternoon, what post office is open at 2 o'clock Saturday ?

Anyway I emailed him back asking him if he'd send it by special delivery, I mean it's only a little bit of wood, and I did pay £3.50 postage. Special delivery is the only way it'll arrive before Christmas. He didn't reply to that email which has annoyed me to say the least.

I was gonna order 2 or 3 more for my other basses, if he doesn't send it special delivery then I won't be ordering from him again.
[/quote]

Dude that sounds like mega hassle, where are you located?

[quote name='Bill' timestamp='1387751836' post='2315335']
I was told that the ramp is secured using a very thin but very strong double sided tape, the other option was a permanent fixture but I thought that the temporary fixture would be a lot smarter, for the fact that I might feel differently about it in the future or wanting to sell the bass (highly doubt it but you never know)

Dude that sounds like mega hassle, where are you located?
[/quote]

At home from uni at the moment in Birmingham :D .

I play with a pick but when I was playing one of Doods Shukers it had a ramp on and I found it a very interesting experience. If I was getting another custom made (in a solid colour) I would definitely allow for an addition of a ramp if I felt like it :)

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1387751969' post='2315340']

At home from uni at the moment in Birmingham :D .
[/quote]

Oh right! I was going to recommend you to a guy down here in Bristol, but that's definitely a tad out of your way!

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1387804830' post='2315864']
I play with a pick but when I was playing one of Doods Shukers it had a ramp on and I found it a very interesting experience. If I was getting another custom made (in a solid colour) I would definitely allow for an addition of a ramp if I felt like it :)
[/quote]

Sounds cool mate, it's quite nice the way it makes you approach the strings, like I said before it's made me a softer player, with a smoother tone, turn up, play lighter! :-)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1387890966' post='2316927']
I'm not sure about softer, it just made my picking technique shallower :)
[/quote]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The shallowness gives you less attack through the strings, so its very hard to achieve that aggressive dug-in tone! i always get an instant softer but still ballsy tone![/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Although when i go back to my Fender Jazz 5 (rampless) i do love digging in on her! haha. [/font][/color]

• 3 years later...

Has anyone put a ramp between the end of the fretboard and the neck pickup?

Im learning to do the when double thumbing thing and whilst my slap techniques are decent, with double thumbing I find striking the too G string tough as the thumb has nothing to land on. Hoping a ramp might help.

Bass is a streamer stage 2 5 string, anyone who has played one knows the curved body and neck join means I can't get a good upstroke on the g string.

An internet piece here from 2013 about ramps. I'm only posting it because Damian used a picture of my Shuker 7 string which has a ramp on it:

http://www.notreble.com/buzz/2013/04/03/bass-ramps-the-how-and-why/

http://www.danveall.co.uk/shuker7/complete/10blur.jpg

Mmmm yummy gorgeous flip paint! :) (Sorry, kinda over did the pictures a bit, but hey, why not, she's a beauty!!)

[quote name='lukeward2004' timestamp='1493711584' post='3290010']
Has anyone put a ramp between the end of the fretboard and the neck pickup?

Im learning to do the when double thumbing thing and whilst my slap techniques are decent, with double thumbing I find striking the too G string tough as the thumb has nothing to land on. Hoping a ramp might help.

Bass is a streamer stage 2 5 string, anyone who has played one knows the curved body and neck join means I can't get a good upstroke on the g string.
[/quote]

Exactly what I have done with my Streamer Stage 2. I find there is far too much space behind the strings (for double thumping) than what I am used to so I had a ramp made to emulate the string-height of my Infinity and to negate the body curve. I have some pictures somewhere I'll dig out. I find it helps massively.

Edited by funkyjimbob

Guest Jecklin

I'm just about to build a ramp for my fretless stringray.

I'll post pictures when it's done (and I don't forget)

[quote name='funkyjimbob' timestamp='1493985391' post='3292371']
Here it is.. the ramp is made of ebony and cost me about 30 quid.. it's longer at the bottom to stop my thumb sliding off of it when thumping.

[url="http://i.imgur.com/ZB2E7ZN.jpg?1"][/url]
[/quote]

Thanks mate - where did you get your ramp from? I'm interested in getting one for my ss2 and possibly my pnut sig...

I've always liked ramps from an aesthetic perspective, some of them can look really nice. I'd like to try a bass with a ramp but doubt I'd get much benefit from it as I don't really dip my fingers under the strings as I play - comes from playing fingerstyle on acoustic guitar.

I like ramps but I don't think I'd ever fit one to one of my basses. I just don't have an issue with the 'detach' following a plucked note. If I'm playing chords, I'll use my thumb and three fingers independently to pluck each string but even then, I don't need it.

I know some players say it stops them digging in too much, so they detach with greater ease and can move onto the next note with less effort. I find it just makes it easier to play very evenly and consistently. It can help if you want to soften your attack as you'll naturally pluck with less vigour.

Not all ramps are created equal though. For me, I prefer them to be radiused in line with the fretboard. I played a Bass Collection bass with just a thin, flat piece of perspex for a ramp that just felt weird. If a ramp helps you to do what you want to do on a bass then great, and if you don't like it you can always remove it.

[quote name='lukeward2004' timestamp='1494091019' post='3293217']
Thanks mate - where did you get your ramp from? I'm interested in getting one for my ss2 and possibly my pnut sig...
[/quote]

My friend who's the head luthier of Manson's guitar shop down here made it for me. If you drop me a message I can provide you with some further details if you like? Obviously if you were to have one made he could just use my bass again to sculpt it correctly to save you sending yours down!

Edited by funkyjimbob