Why become a member? ×

Ramp on my Warwick

Bill

Hi guys, just had a Wenge ramp recently built and installed on my 1990 Warwick Streamer Stage I, loving the feel of this thing and not digging in as much with it, so getting a generally smoother tone with also a bit more fluidity in the right hand with my fingers not going so much under the strings..

It's not permanently fixed, as who knows how I'll feel about it in the future, but for now really enjoying the addition!

Who else is sporting a ramp on their bass?

Here is a clip of latest video with her, will upload some decent quality pictures if anyone is interested :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhwD_2IynJM

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1385516106' post='2289302']
I'm considering getting a ramp on mine actually, never played a bass with a ramp though so I'm not sure about getting one made then not liking the addition, especially when money is this tight for me at the moment.
[/quote]

I totally agree, you dont want to be wasting money like that, but just so you know the ramp isn't permanently fixed onto my bass, its a double sided tape sort of stuff (but it is ON there) i had the option to have it bolted on but who knows how i'll feel about it in the future, so went with the temporary option, what bass do you have out of interest?

I've seen a pic of the bass and it's a real beaut of a Thumb with a Pj configuration. I'd suggest he makes up a cardboard ramp as a first time test. Tape it in place and try that first.

I'm going to be making a ramp for my Ltd ESP jazz, but I've not tried one on a PJ before.

Lovely playing there…that would have taken me a year to work out and another two to get it right!

I've never got the ramp thing, I understand the theory but I'm a fairly ham-fisted player by modern standards and like a bit of space under the strings. Seems to work really well for you..but I'm glad to see you didn't screw it down.

[quote name='Bill' timestamp='1385557775' post='2289575']
I totally agree, you dont want to be wasting money like that, but just so you know the ramp isn't permanently fixed onto my bass, its a double sided tape sort of stuff (but it is ON there) i had the option to have it bolted on but who knows how i'll feel about it in the future, so went with the temporary option, what bass do you have out of interest?
[/quote]
[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1385558299' post='2289590']
I've seen a pic of the bass and it's a real beaut of a Thumb with a Pj configuration. I'd suggest he makes up a cardboard ramp as a first time test. Tape it in place and try that first.

I'm going to be making a ramp for my Ltd ESP jazz, but I've not tried one on a PJ before.
[/quote]

Dirty blonde thumb bass, it's superb but I always find myself wanting to rest my thumb on the space inbetween the pickups. I'm going to try what Grangur said and see how that goes before I jump into shelling money out

I'm interested in making it. I'm going to make a ramp for my LTD jazz, I'll try to do one for This one too. Hopefully without having to ask Cameron to send me his bass, but not sure how possible that is.

Sorry Bill for hijacking your thread. If we go ahead on the ramp and post pics maybe I should go to another thread? or do we stay here?

Ramps are like Marmite.

I have ramps on both my Overwater perceptions. I find it useful to have that anchor/reference point whilst playing. It also prevents me digging in when I get over-excited!

I recently acquired a Tanglewater Jazz, and I find it strange to play without a ramp. I suppose its just what people are used to?

The ramps on the Perceptions are fixed with double-sided sticky stuff, and are very stable, but are easily removed if necessary.

Mocking up a ramp is a great idea for those wishing to experiment.

thank you please

RK

p.s. I like ramps, but I don't like Marmite.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1385624101' post='2290294']
I'm interested in making it. I'm going to make a ramp for my LTD jazz, I'll try to do one for This one too. Hopefully without having to ask Cameron to send me his bass, but not sure how possible that is.

Sorry Bill for hijacking your thread. If we go ahead on the ramp and post pics maybe I should go to another thread? or do we stay here?
[/quote]
Good idea with the ramp.Also nice to see someone else having a "Dirty Blonde" too. I've been thinking about a ramp for mine too, as well as selling the bass from time to time...
[IMG]http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd169/bassmayhem/CIMG1336.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1385675598' post='2291121']
So is the only purpose for a ramp is to anchor your thumb any where between the PUPs or does it serve another purpose also? I just wondered as ramps seem to be getting more common place now.
[/quote]

It helps you to make sure you don't dig in too much as well making poncy jazzy nonsense a bit easier (I think!)

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1385675598' post='2291121']
So is the only purpose for a ramp is to anchor your thumb any where between the PUPs or does it serve another purpose also? I just wondered as ramps seem to be getting more common place now.
[/quote]

If you watch yourself play, or pretty much anyone, most people tend to play over a pickup.

This prevents you digging in too much during faster passages. Having a ramp between the pickups, or over any other area of exposed body enables the same thing. It just smooths out your playing, there's a tendency when not playing over something for the finger tips to get more attack, and accent the notes. Obviously sometimes this is something that you want, so in that case a ramp may get in the way, without modifying your technique anyway :)

If I'm playing jazz for example, I like to play closer to the neck for a warmer sound.

Edited by ambient

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1385624101' post='2290294']

[/quote]

No worries at all, i created this thread for a discussion on ramps and to see other player's basses with ramps etc! so go right ahead :-)

[quote name='rk7' timestamp='1385629538' post='2290333']
Here's a pic of the Marmite, sorry - Ramp, on the Perception. And yes, it is Ziricote/Walnut, to match the body of the bass.

[url="http://i49.tinypic.com/xmn8lg.jpg"]http://i49.tinypic.com/xmn8lg.jpg[/url]

RK
[/quote]

That is extremely beautiful!

[quote name='rk7' timestamp='1385629538' post='2290333']
Here's a pic of the Marmite, sorry - Ramp, on the Perception. And yes, it is Ziricote/Walnut, to match the body of the bass.

[url="http://i49.tinypic.com/xmn8lg.jpg"]http://i49.tinypic.com/xmn8lg.jpg[/url]

RK
[/quote]

Very nice :D .

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1385685628' post='2291278']
If you watch yourself play, or pretty much anyone, most people tend to play over a pickup.

This prevents you digging in too much during faster passages. Having a ramp between the pickups, or over any other area of exposed body enables the same thing. It just smooths out your playing, there's a tendency when not playing over something for the finger tips to get more attack, and accent the notes. Obviously sometimes this is something that you want, so in that case a ramp may get in the way, without modifying your technique anyway :)

If I'm playing jazz for example, I like to play closer to the neck for a warmer sound.
[/quote] Lovely very well explained cheers mate :)

[/quote]
On my fretless I like to play up the neck - instant ramp and it gets warmer. :)

[/quote]
[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1385681247' post='2291227']

It helps you to make sure you don't dig in too much as well making poncy jazzy nonsense a bit easier (I think!)
[/quote]

So it's basically to compensate for poor technique then? *tiptoes over to coat rack...*

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1385756807' post='2291983']
So it's basically to compensate for poor technique then? *tiptoes over to coat rack...*
[/quote]
Hmmph!!!! And to think I spoke highly of him on another thread!

Actually, when I play up the neck or over the pups I'm not aware of me touching anything apart from the string. So would a ramp be a waste of time?

[quote name='Greggo' timestamp='1385758126' post='2292004']
Quick question for people that use a ramp or play over a pickup raised high - after you pluck the string does your fingers tips follow through into the ramp which is how it stops you digging in?
[/quote]

No, have a look on YouTube for Gary Willis or Matthew garrison to see what they do.