Why become a member? ×

Grill or Grille? A handy guide...

wateroftyne

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1385219366' post='2285728']
Hypothetically, if I borrowed the steel mesh from the front of my speaker cabinet and used it to support food on top of my barbecue, would it be both a grille and a grill?
[/quote]
One moment you discuss peacefully about a amplifier grating and barbecue, and suddenly the philosophers come, parachuting out of a clean sky... ;)

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1385219366' post='2285728']
Hypothetically, if I borrowed the steel mesh from the front of my speaker cabinet and used it to support food on top of my barbecue, would it be both a grille and a grill?
[/quote]

A grill on a grille is a cooking technique you should be grilled about :gas:[size=4] [/size]

[size=4][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]My pet hate - people calling a riff a 'rift'.[/font][/size]

[size=4][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Riff - [color=#333333]a[/color][color=#333333] [/color][color=#333333]melodic[/color][color=#333333] [/color][color=#333333]phrase,[/color][color=#333333] [/color][color=#333333]often[/color][color=#333333] [/color][color=#333333]constantly[/color][color=#333333] [/color][color=#333333]repeated,[/color][color=#333333] [/color][color=#333333]forming[/color][color=#333333] (part of) [/color][color=#333333]an[/color][color=#333333] [/color][color=#333333]accompaniment[/color][/font][/size]

[size=4][font=trebuchet ms,helvetica,sans-serif]Rift - an opening made by splitting, cleaving etc[/font][/size]

[font="trebuchet ms, helvetica, sans-serif"]Also a drummer I know refers to a dep (abbreviation of deputy, i.e stand-in) as a 'deb' (abbreviation of debutante, i.e. young lady making her entrance into society).[/font]

Not too bass related, but gotta mention it: iIn Poland the biggest language pet peeve of all is "bynajmniej" vs. "przynajmniej".
"Bynajmniej" (spelled bee-nay-mney) means "not at all" or "anything, but" or "it's the last thing I meant".
"Przynajmniej" (spelled pshee-nay-mney) means "at least".
People who confuse this word are silly. They say something like "Bynajmniej jestem inteligentny, nie tak jak ty!" which means "I'm not inteligent at all, unlike you!" when they want to say "I'm at least intelligent, unlike you!"

Dunno if it makes me angry or laugh more :D

Edited by Immo

[quote name='gelfin' timestamp='1385249501' post='2286196']
Just love pedantry.

I get accused of it quite often.
[/quote]
You should show your Basschat.co.uk Moderator Licence at those times, then. "You have a right to remain orthographically and grammatically correct. Every error you'd make..." or something like that. ;)

Not a bass one, but a peculiarity of the way they speak up here in Yorkshire, is the use of 'while' when they really mean 'until'. "I'm working while 3 o'clock" means "I'm working until 3 o'clock" in Yorkshire. Problematic when faced with a sign at a railway crossing that says "Wait while the red lights are flashing"...

[quote name='Kirky' timestamp='1385282241' post='2286284']
Not a bass one, but a peculiarity of the way they speak up here in Yorkshire, is the use of 'while' when they really mean 'until'. "I'm working while 3 o'clock" means "I'm working until 3 o'clock" in Yorkshire. Problematic when faced with a sign at a railway crossing that says "Wait while the red lights are flashing"...
[/quote]

As my employment involves finding ways to improve the safety at level crossings; I might need to mention this!

We also quite frequently 9 while 5 in Derbyshire!

[quote name='Kirky' timestamp='1385282241' post='2286284']
"I'm working while 3 o'clock" means "I'm working until 3 o'clock" in Yorkshire. Problematic when faced with a sign at a railway crossing that says "Wait while the red lights are flashing"...
[/quote]

Seems like that has a quick resolution :)

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1385287571' post='2286344']

Ray Alan and Lord Charles come to mind....

:lol:
[/quote]I saw Ray Alan do a radio show once and despite it being a radio performance he used the dummy and was the consummate pro; "Silly arse!" classic.