Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz

DarkHeart

I know some people get pretty bent out of shape about it, but imho I think doesn't matter too much as long as it didn't look hideous. The neck is bolted solidly to the body and I really don't think a slight gap either side of the neck will make any tangible difference to the tone or sustain. In fact, I used to have two yamaha trb's, one had a tight neck pocket and the other had a reasonable gap. I always felt like the one with the gap had better response and sustained better, so make of that what you will.

The other thing of course is that if you really like a bass that has a less than perfect neck pocket, it shouldn't prevent you from buying it unless it has a noticeable detrimental effect of some sort.

Hope this helps! :D

Edited by TRBboy

It depends. There is a fair bit of tolerance in terms of 'can I set this bass up and make it work well'. Maybe not so much tolerance in terms of the fact you have paid the thick end of 2k for something which is meant to be well built, largely by hand, and to exacting specs. I'm a fender player so am not slagging them off, but there has always been a complacency issue due to their cosy position in the marketplace. Slack twats.

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1384681914' post='2279332']
yeah either side, i was shocked to say the least, all the bitsa`s ive put together dont have any gap whatsoever. it was very noticeable as it was the natural wood finish it looked like 2 black lines either side of the neck.
[/quote]

I bet that's why- they've allowed a tolerance for the paint, but there is none. And knowing Fender, they probably select the bodies for the natural wood finish after they've been cut.

I'd expect that from a late '70s Fender (like mine, which has 0.8mm gap on one side*) but surprised to hear about it on a newer model. Personally, it doesn't bother me as the joint is solid and the bass sounds great. If I ever sold it though, it could be an issue to potential buyers.

*I haven't had the feeler gauges out, it's just that it holds a 0.8mm plectrum perfectly.

I know some people really look at this area but my checklists are:

Does it play well - necessary
Does it sound good - necessary
Do I like the colour scheme - necessary (unlikely I`ll try a bass that is in a colour scheme I don`t like)

Then so long as the instrument isn`t falling apart, good enough for me. A gap of 1 or 2mm either side wouldn`t put me off, though in fairness I`ve never had a bass with that.

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1384730758' post='2280171']
It depends on what your idea of perfect is? A great sounding and playing bass for me is perfect. The neck pocket gap is irrelevant.
[/quote]

Exactly. You can't tell if a bass is good or not by looking at the neck pocket. You tell by playing it. If it sounds good and plays good then the neck is right, regardless of how many sheets of paper you can fit down the side of the neck.

I can't help but wonder if people aren't inventing issues where there aren't any.

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1384730758' post='2280171']
It depends on what your idea of perfect is? A great sounding and playing bass for me is perfect. The neck pocket gap is irrelevant.
[/quote]
Isn't it matter of build quality and attention to detail by the manufacturer?
A tight neck pocket will reduce the strain on the screws and the instrument will last longer than a badly made one. Fortunately for Fendrr it appears there's enough customers who don't worry about build quality and they can get away with it, or so it seems.

People have inadvertently answwered the question. If it plays and sounds good then it doesn't matter. At every price point Fenders are very variable and MIA ones are more variable than MIM or Japanese ones. If the pocket is out by 8mm then so is the neck, pickup placement, bridge and everything else. My bugbear is not fishing off fret ends properly. It's not just Fender in the States either, my Gibson TBird had one side of the neck more rounded than the other so the G string tended to slip away from you if you didn't fret spot on.

The variation in playing has to be down to poor quality control and a general lack of care. Poorly fitting parts are the symptom of something which does show in the end because all the little things clearly do make a difference or there would be less variability and all Fender MIA would be good ones. Banning Japanese imports from Europe so they don't show up their USA masters is pretty shabby treatment of their customers IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I have a Jazz and a P both MIA but it is buyer beware with Fender, great design with indifferent execution far too often. Both mine were bought used and I'd look elsewhere if I was looking for a new high price bass.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1384806706' post='2281004']
Everybody has their own take on this, but in my world the component parts of a musical instrument should fit together properly.
[/quote] Me too. I'd go find a better bass, probably by a better maker. There's enough makers to choose from. Why does it have to be a Fender?

Irritatingly enough, I agree with both sides of the argument.

Ideally , a neck pocket should be tight , not least of all because there is no real disadvantage to it being so , and all kinds of possible advantages in the best possible ( tightest) fit. However , will it slight gap create any audible difference ? I doubt it. Will a bass with a gap neccesarilly be without merit? No , not so.

As for long-term stability , most old Fenders don't have tight neck pockets , and they have lasted O.K .

Someone who is a expert bass builder once told me that in reality, the lateral join between the neck and body is far more important to the transference of sound than the side join. Who am I to disagree?

Anyone else notice that this has become a much bigger issue in recent years , just like weight ?

I've replaced the neck on my cij jazz and despite the replacement designed to fit the existing neck pocket it just plain doesn't, while the neck that was on before was as snug as a bug in a rug.

With that in mind I don't think a snug fit makes too much difference besides aesthetically. Of course it's nice if it does but I doubt that every body fender makes has a neck that's made to fit it.

As long as it lines up straight and is attached as firmly as is possible really no need to worry.