Why become a member? ×

Does anyone play in an 80's covers/tribute band?

paul h

Looking at the list rejigged I think the ratio is actually much worse than 1 in 4 or 5 for me personally but I could still see there being the market for it. Having said that I'm not thrilled about quite a few songs in the set I'm doing at present. The advantage is that its not my band so I can walk away from it when I've had enough. With the singer thing I was actually replying to Paul S's post (Journey, Foreigner etc) sorry didn't make it clear.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1384528392' post='2277788']
Aha. Sir, you are a bass player who is thinking straight. I too have a dislike for what I call "Old Man Pub Rock". So what if you can twiddle away, set your geetar on fire and play a few Hendrix songs?

There are some "music pubs" where that is called for, but my guess is that pubs are filled with 30, 40 and 50 somethings who are not remotely interested in whether someone is the 76th best guitarist in the county or not.

I think a lot of people will turn up to pubs only vaguely realising that there is a band on, so you need to cater for the masses and give them populist stuff. I think your 80s notion is a good one, although don't neglect the 90s.

We're out tonight and the set will be filled with things like Park Life, Mr Brightside, House of Fun, Walk Like an Egyptian, some Oasis stuff, 99 Red Balloons, Disco 2000, Stand and Deliver, Video Killed the Radio Star, Tainted Love, Chelsea Dagger etc. Real fun up-tempo stuff .... and not a bald man with a bandana and tight jeans in sight.
[/quote]

I too would enjoy playing 90s, 00s and 10s stuff. The main reason I have focused on the 80s is purely down to ease of marketing!

Imagine a band called One-Eighty (or a variant of) with a tagline: Playing number ones from the eighties!

No ambiguity, no stumbling around with...well, we play a bit of everything really. No being booked by people who are not sure of what you do. And imagine the absolute joy of being able to turn down the requests for Brown Eyed Girl by saying "Sorry mate, 80s number ones only!"

:D

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1384528812' post='2277799']
Looking at the list rejigged I think the ratio is actually much worse than 1 in 4 or 5 for me personally but I could still see there being the market for it. Having said that I'm not thrilled about quite a few songs in the set I'm doing at present. The advantage is that its not my band so I can walk away from it when I've had enough. With the singer thing I was actually replying to Paul S's post (Journey, Foreigner etc) sorry didn't make it clear.
[/quote]

Well that's fair enough. We can't all like the same stuff because that would just be horribly dull!

If I'm honest I am actually very surprised how many songs on the list I actually like. I did cut Dexy's Midnight Runners out though :D

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1384528392' post='2277788'] We're out tonight and the set will be filled with things like Park Life, Mr Brightside, House of Fun, Walk Like an Egyptian, some Oasis stuff, 99 Red Balloons, Disco 2000, Stand and Deliver, Video Killed the Radio Star, Tainted Love, Chelsea Dagger etc. Real fun up-tempo stuff .... and not a bald man with a bandana and tight jeans in sight. [/quote]

Hell I could almost dep for you mate, our current set list includes 5 of those and I've done 2 or 3 of the others in a previous band! having not been in a band for nearly a year and being told by more than a few at jam sessions that I really should be out gigging regularly I came to the conclusion that I had to swallow some pride, accept that there just weren't any covers bands doing what I'd really like to do and probably because there wasn't a market in it even if I had the time to organise my own band. You do sell your soul in acovers band to some degree and just shift the enjoyment factor more toward interaction with the crowd than getting a big buzz just from the music itself sometimes.

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1384529167' post='2277803'] Well that's fair enough. We can't all like the same stuff because that would just be horribly dull! If I'm honest I am actually very surprised how many songs on the list I actually like. I did cut Dexy's Midnight Runners out though :D [/quote] This is the real trick, find material that you really enjoy playing and which is also in demand, best of both worlds. Done it myself in the past,maybe it'll happen again in the future. Like some of the stuff I'm doing at present but its interesting how little of the atists we cover that i actually listen to out of choice in private. Ditch Come On Eileen at your peril though, I reckon it would be a real crowd pleaser come close to chucking out time,need a fiddle player though.

Edited by KevB

We Run an 80s Band "New Retros" alongside our Blondie Tribute "Heart of Glass" and find it works well, certainly a market for it, lot of 80s themed parties and the like, getting the sounds right is pretty easy these days, especially if your drummer can play to click, lots of work thru agents for this kind of thing also,,

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1384529596' post='2277812']
This is the real trick, find material that you really enjoy playing and which is also in demand, best of both worlds. Done it myself in the past,maybe it'll happen again in the future. Like some of the stuff I'm doing at present but its interesting how little of the atists we cover that i actually listen to out of choice in private. Ditch Come On Eileen at your peril though, I reckon it would be a real crowd pleaser come close to chucking out time,need a fiddle player though.
[/quote]

Correct on all points...even about Come on Eileen :D (maybe I can use the lack of a fiddle play as an excuse?)

My cover band plays anything from early 60's to this Summer.

We try to play stuff others don't, but as I never see other cover bands that may or may not be happening.

I looked up the hits web sites and was suprised that so many of our numbers come from the 80's, but I don't care as long as they are good numbers and the audience reacts well..

[quote name='paul h' timestamp='1384526589' post='2277760'] Actually...after distilling the list of numbers ones it's pretty apparent it wasn't as slaptastic or electronic as most people think. For those interested here is my list... Pretenders - Brass in Pocket The Jam - Going Underground Blondie - Call Me David Bowie - Ashes to Ashes The Police - Don't Stand So Close Me Bucks Fizz - Making Your Mind Up Adam and the Ants - Stand and Deliver Aneka - Japanese Boy Soft Cell - Tainted Love The Police - Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic The Human League - Don't You Want Me Madness - House of Fun Charlene - I've Never Been to Me Irene Cara - Fame Survivor - Eye of the Tiger Culture Club - Do You Really Want to Hurt Me Eddy Grant - I Don't Wanna Dance Phil Collins - You Can't Hurry Love Men at Work - Down Under Kajagoogoo - Too Shy Michael Jackson - Billie Jean Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of the Heart Duran Duran - Is There Something I Should Know? Spandau Ballet - TRUE New Edition - Candy Girl Paul Young - Wherever I Lay My Hat (That's My Home) UB40 - Red Red Wine Culture Club - Karma Chameleon Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Relax Nena - 99 Red Balloons Wham! - Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go Chaka Khan - I Feel for You Dead or Alive - You Spin Me Round (Like a Record) Philip Bailey (duet with Phil Collins) - Easy Lover Eurythmics - There Must Be an Angel (Playing with My Heart) Madonna - Into the Groove Whitney Houston - Saving All My Love for You Pet Shop Boys - West End Girls a-ha - The Sun Always Shines on T.V. Billy Ocean - When the Going Gets Tough, the Tough Get Going Diana Ross -Chain Reaction Falco - Rock Me Amadeus Madonna - Papa Don't Preach Chris de Burgh - The Lady in Red Europe - The Final Countdown Aretha Franklin and George Michael - I Knew You Were Waiting (For Me) Starship - Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now Whitney Houston - I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Who Loves Me) Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up Tiffany - I Think We're Alone Now Kylie Minogue - I Should Be So Lucky Aswad - Don't Turn Around Fairground Attraction - Perfect Bros - I Owe You Nothing Yazz and the Plastic Population - The Only Way Is Up The Bangles - Eternal Flame Soul II Soul feat. Caron Wheeler - Back to Life (However Do You Want Me) Black Box - Ride on Time Lisa Stansfield - All Around the World New Kids on the Block - You Got It (The Right Stuff) [/quote]

The 80's bands round here.... of which there are LOADS..I can't stress this enough .. you would think there wasn't another era...are all gtr bands.

the interesting thing about choice of material is that 65 yrs olds are still young and out there ...so they have quite a broad choice of stuff they listen to.
They got the live music bug way back when and still have a big thing for music... this means that you no longer dread a party when it is for a 60th birthday.

To get lots of gigs, the only thing you need to avoid is metal...
We find bands that get stuck in pubs are heavy or grungey...or too stuck in a mode .. or not so good, anyway..
AC/DC doesn't travel too well into a party too often if that is all you have got... but the general rule of 2 of a kind is good and it is the variety that works...

We do stuff from the Who, Killers, Stereo's, Foos, Weller, Pretenders...as long as they are songs first and foremost.
Once we sorted our set out, we have never had a problem and you could say that we play a pub type set...for a party....so that same gig/set
works for £250 pubs...which you want to keep to a mimimum, to £1000 parties.
And the difference between a £1000 and £1500 gig is not the material... it is the people you know who can/will pay that.

[quote name='Toddy' timestamp='1384529702' post='2277816']
We Run an 80s Band "New Retros" alongside our Blondie Tribute "Heart of Glass" and find it works well, certainly a market for it, lot of 80s themed parties and the like, getting the sounds right is pretty easy these days, especially if your drummer can play to click, lots of work thru agents for this kind of thing also,,
[/quote]

I had a listen to the Blondie stuff. Sounds great. I wouldn't mind being in a tribute band of some kind. At least it would limit all the in band arguments about material :D

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1384548778' post='2278152']
The set-list posted looks great - I`d love to see a band doing all those (so long as they did them well that is).
[/quote]

Thanks. I'm so pleased to actually find some like minded people for a change :D

Cheers Paul,, even tho we don't always stick in the Eighties, it certainly helps when booking to have some sort of theme,, (we chuck crowd pleasers in from any genre/decade sometimes),, when looking to book bands it helps to narrow it down,, eg , Tribute/80s/Punk/Country whatever,, at least people know what they are getting, rather than "general covers band which plays a bit of everything" which rightly or wrongly is going to have a hard time selling itself,, we did one of our half/half shows last night for Tata Steel,,, first set Tribute,, which everyone enjoyed,, then came back on to 80s classics, and they danced the night away,, big venue,..good night.

I play in one with a female lead singer (although we all do vox) and we have a growing selection of venues that want to book us. Having a female as the main vocal source determines a lot of our song choices, but doesn't preclude anything. Our keyboard player really nails the synth sounds which I think really helps put an authentic 80s stamp on the finished product. The punters really seem to enjoy the change from the usual pub/club chestnuts and you get different audience members connecting with different songs rather than just the usual one or two, over 'medicated' types bellowing along to everything.

Best of luck.

I have a first rehearsal today with my new band (well, old band that have talked me into rejoining) so I will be suggesting the 80's route and see what happens.

Wish me luck! I'm going to need it especially considering the song list they sent includes Shake a Tail Feather, Do You Love Me and Proud Mary amongst others. I don't think it's going to go too well!

:D

The covers band I'm in started doing just general covers from different decades but ended up doing just 80s as we were getting asked for more songs from that decade and that's what seemed to go down best with audiences.
We do all the usual suspects (Duran, Spandau, The Police) and throw in a few re-arranged versions of some cheesier songs or synth dominated songs as we don't have a keyboard player.
Strangely though, bearing in mind what's been said earlier in this thread, there doesn't seem to be as many other around here doing mainly 80s, they all seem to be either indie/Brit-pop or rock cover bands.

I'm actually in the process of putting one together as there isn't anything but either rock cover bands or funk and soul bands. As a result I'm piecing together an 80's/cheese covers band. We've not even rehearsed once yet and been booked just on the description.