Why become a member? ×

Why can't I leave them alone?

Telebass

Well, despite the best of intentions, last night and today has seen an orgy of neck-swapping and pickup changing, and leaving anything as stock is seemingly beyond me.

While I'm entirely happy with the outcomes, why is it that we seem to tinker so much with these damn things?

:D

Yeah I've been there, although I haven't been as bad of late (if you discount striping the finish off my Ibanez that is ;) ) and have managed not to change any thing on my Lakland at all. Does this make it the 'perfect' bass?

Edited by ezbass

It's a bit like finding a good woman for me. Find a great one that fits you straight off, don't find one that you'll always want to change.

I reckon that if we're always 'looking for that sound' we'll never find it, cos we're too used to looking and will continue to do so out of habit.

But tinkering with basses to see what we like and what's what, nothing wrong with that, reminds me of my fun teens and 20's experimenting with what to find in a good woman, (er I mean bass...) :o

I'm the same. I've found changing necks has a bigger impact on the sound than changing pickups sometimes. The first neck I swapped was on my Geddy Lee . I always felt it sounded very 'bass lite'. I assumed it was because of the pickups but before I swopped them for another set, I decided to change the ultra thin neck that was fitted for a chunky Allparts neck I had hanging around. The swop really made a big difference to the sound and gave the bass a much rounder deeper tone. Since then I can't stop myself experimenting with different combinations on my basses. At the moment I have a maple P neck on my Jazz and a rosewood Jazz neck on my P bass. Mainly because the extra wood in the P bass neck, when fitted to the Jazz really gives a boost in the bass frequencies which I really like.

Edited by gjones

So, I've ended up with three nice Precisions.
My 2003/4 MIM is back to wearing the black blocks/binding Jazz neck.
The new Squier VM fretless body now wears the American Special Jazz neck, and. at sub 7lbs, will be the main gigging bass.
The fretless Squier neck is now on a Squier PJ body, a faux Tony Franklin if you will.
Oh, and a new Seymour Duncan SBP-2 in the main gigger!
:)

Edited by Telebass

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1384013072' post='2271924']
It's a bit like finding a good woman for me. Find a great one that fits you straight off, don't find one that you'll always want to change.

I reckon that if we're always 'looking for that sound' we'll never find it, cos we're too used to looking and will continue to do so out of habit.

But tinkering with basses to see what we like and what's what, nothing wrong with that, reminds me of my fun teens and 20's experimenting with what to find in a good woman, (er I mean bass...) :o
[/quote]

Did you find your 'good woman'?

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1384122707' post='2273099']
Gigged the new lightweight bass last night - what a difference a pound and a half makes! Like air bass with strings!
[/quote]

Nice one! Crazy the difference makes isn't it?!!

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1384129847' post='2273167']
Did you find your 'good woman'?
[/quote]

Haha, yes, metaphorically and literally! :)

I'm really happy with my '66 P Bass, had a few pre '66 Fender P's in the past and only sold them due to cash issues, but this one is now here to stay and I wouldn't change a thing on it (though I did need to source an original pickup for it to get back the tone I desire in an old bass). My Custom Shop Jazz Bass felt and sounded just right instantly wjen I first played it, so no changes will be made to that one either.

In the past I've customised a fair few basses, and sold loads of customised ones too when I was working in shops. I'm really pleased that for some people customising a bass makes it just right for them, though sadly for others it's an endless battle to make a bass something it's not.

As for my real 'good woman', she's certainly a keeper and I won't be making any changes there :lol:

Have you found yours?

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1384155837' post='2273216']

Nice one! Crazy the difference makes isn't it?!!

Haha, yes, metaphorically and literally! :)

I'm really happy with my '66 P Bass, had a few pre '66 Fender P's in the past and only sold them due to cash issues, but this one is now here to stay and I wouldn't change a thing on it (though I did need to source an original pickup for it to get back the tone I desire in an old bass). My Custom Shop Jazz Bass felt and sounded just right instantly wjen I first played it, so no changes will be made to that one either.

In the past I've customised a fair few basses, and sold loads of customised ones too when I was working in shops. I'm really pleased that for some people customising a bass makes it just right for them, though sadly for others it's an endless battle to make a bass something it's not.

As for my real 'good woman', she's certainly a keeper and I won't be making any changes there :lol:

[b]Have you found yours?[/b]
[/quote]

Indeed and in both respects :)

One was born in '63 and one in '83, excellent years :)

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1384156452' post='2273221']
Indeed and in both respects :)

One was born in '63 and one in '83, excellent years :)
[/quote]

I don't want to sew the seeds of discontentment , but if you could swap those respective dates round you would have a pre-CBS Fender and a relatively pert younger woman ... win-win :) !

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1384004926' post='2271788']
Well, despite the best of intentions, last night and today has seen an orgy of neck-swapping and pickup changing, and leaving anything as stock is seemingly beyond me.

While I'm entirely happy with the outcomes, why is it that we seem to tinker so much with these damn things?

[/quote]

For some people, tinkering is half the fun . Maybe you don't actually want a bass so much as you want something to do? Nothing wrong with that , I hasten to add.

If you like experimenting then go ahead and experiment. Maybe you will discover something really important. The most important inventions and discoveries in history - electricity , penicillin , Kellogs Pop Tarts- were all as a result of someone who just enjoiyed pissing about because they were bored.

Edited by Dingus

• 3 weeks later...

To be honest I've never found a stock Fender neck that I was happy with. The dimensions and contours were nice, but the high gloss finishes put me right off.

Mighty Mite stuff*, on the other hand, is superb.

*Other replacement necks are available. ;)

I guess it comes down to budget vs what is available vs what you actually want. Plus, if you actually can do it, it's fun and educational.

I bought a P body on ebay recently, it was only £30. I had the other bits lying around except for the scratchplate so I built a P Bass with a Squier Jazz neck. It's nice. I've modded the electronics on all my basses - including the '79 Sabre (that out of phase switch was perfectly useless). If I had the money I would get a custom made bass to my own spec, but I haven't so I tinker with Fender parts until I'm happy.

My main gigging Jazz bass took 3 years, 3 bodies, 2 necks, 8 tuners, 2 preamps and 6 pickups until i stopped messing with it. I'd like a slightly slimmer neck though...