Why become a member? ×

Nine Inch Nails/Pino Palladino

NancyJohnson

Just found this clip posted earlier today, Nine Inch Nails with Pino Palladino on bass. I'm probably not the only long time NIN fan who finds themselves [i]compromised [/i]here and is asking the question, 'Aww, Trent. Why?' Personally, I would have preferred to have seen some unknown kid with decent chops rather than - with all due respect - a jack of all trades jobbing bass player.

Disappointed :(
P

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLfMd70xYNQ[/media]

Best thing I've ever heard from NiN - by a huge distance as well :)

Actually made me download the album!

usually my hand is wandering towards the 'skip' or channel change' buttons whenever NiN come on.

Just goes to show you can't please all of the people. . .

Edited by molan

Looking a bit old now.

Thing is, the unknown kid with decent chops would have required all sorts of investment of time and patience from a number of people there and, in the end you get the playing of a kid with some decent chops. With Pino there came no baggage just first class playing with little rehearsal and lead in. I'm no NIN fan, but it seems a bit boring to have Pino even if thebass sounds really good (I still baulk at him being in the Who for similar reasons) but there's is a professional world with different values and timescales than ours.

Edited by 4 Strings

His bass tone is awesome, but I can understand why this might not exactly please a lot of NIN fans. Nice and groovy for us bass players, way off the mark for fans of Reznor.
Reminds me of Nile Rodgers with Daft Punk recently. Nice on paper, but a disappointment for me as a lifelong fan of DP and Nile Rodgers.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1383952581' post='2271327']
I found that quite dull
[/quote]

To quantify I should say that compared to Broken (listen to Wish for comparison) this is dull. But then again I'd sooner be listening to Psalm 69, as Reznor was always a Jourgensen copyist, but certainly a bigger media whore.

Anyway, Jesus Built My Hot Rod.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXCh9OhDiCI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXCh9OhDiCI[/url]

Paul Barker!

Wow, that was awful, although to be fair I've never liked NIN, they're one of those bands that on paper I should love, but their songs just don't do anything for me, combine that with Trent Reznor's recent slide into public asshattery and they're a band I just don't get.

[quote name='witterth' timestamp='1383956563' post='2271400']
what was awful? I love Pino's playing he cant do wrong for me and I loved that stuff
[/quote]

Yeah Pino is one of my favourite bassists but the song was so dull and had no melody, energy or direction. It just seemed a mess to me.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1383956174' post='2271393']
Anyway, Jesus Built My Hot Rod.
[/quote]

Yup, anything else of an industrial bent just pales with comparision....wonder how Pino's picking technique would cope with this? :rolleyes:

Edited by MattM

Concerning NIN, the new album [b]is[/b] very safe. I suppose as a consequence of the aforementioned [i]asshattery [/i](great word BTW).

For the casual listener, there's no pertinent start point; it ebbs and flows and it's all pretty similar. I've been a fan since 1989/90 and it was hard work to become a fan; they were a very hard band to get into considering I was coming from music-pool of Living Colour, Janes Addiction, Soul Asylum and Live...I still find some of the stuff unlistenable to a degree.

Edited by NancyJohnson

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1384021808' post='2272065'] I've been a fan since 1989/90 and it was hard work to become a fan; they were a very hard band to get into considering I was coming from music-pool of Living Colour, Janes Addiction, Soul Asylum and Live...I still find some of the stuff unlistenable to a degree.
[/quote]

Well, that just depends on what you like. A friend of mine bought Pretty hate machine the day it came out - I bought it the day after it came out after listening to it once. It was fantastic, really what I was looking for at the time, still one of my favourite albums.

OK, some of the later stuff especially further down the spiral can be a bit heavy going, but not unlistenable. At least it doesn't get dull like ministry :D

They did a one off gig at scala in august, with a fixed number of tickets on the website. Obviously the website crashed as they tend to do in these things, but we got tickets, so went up there. The tickets were under the name of the purchaser +1 to stop scalping. There were people going past offering several hundred pounds to go in as a +1, including some people who had flown over from the states on the hope of getting a ticket (which seemed a little foolish, but who am I to judge). Was a good gig though. Bass player alternated between bass guitar and keyboards

[quote name='NancyJohnson' timestamp='1384032992' post='2272210']
Can we just lose the 'this is the first time I've ever heard them' and how it's 'dull and boring' stuff please! This video is hardly blummin' representative of their body of work!!
P
[/quote]

Alright Paul, maybe you should have posted [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtQTriNVdZc"]this[/url]. Not sure if Pino is playing tho. :)