Why become a member? ×

New Jimi Hendrix documentary

Phil Adams

[quote name='Nick Riffed' timestamp='1382792960' post='2256622']
Jimi Hendrix. Still one of my all time favourite bass players.
[/quote]

Did he play bass on Let the Come on (Let the Good Times Roll) on Electric Ladyland? I've always listened to that and thought that it doesn't sound like a "bass player", well not a normal one anyway. Just checked wicki, and it does list JH on bass on some tracks, but not that one.

My understanding is that Jimi played bass on a lot of the tracks on Electric Lady land as Noel Redding was , alledgedly, more interested in being down the pub.

Through stuff gleaned from the net and various documentaries over the years it seems like Hendrix wrote a lot of the bass lines for Redding, also that he had played in several bands in the old days purely as the bass player.

Already set my recorder too.

[quote name='tom skool' timestamp='1382820116' post='2257020']
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Did he just play the bass upside down as in that photo?!! Or did he restring it left handed I wonder[/font]
[/quote]

My understanding is that he could take a righty and just play it up the other way!!

On one of the Ron Wood radio shows Ron was telling about hanging out with JH and other guitarists in hotel rooms and they would swap guitars. Ron said JH would play a rh guitar and it wouldn't make much difference (seem to remember that he added something like "which was sickening really" or similar)

[quote name='Nick Riffed' timestamp='1382989957' post='2258915']
My understanding is that he could take a righty and just play it up the other way!!
[/quote]

In the documentary they mention that - just after a little clip of him playing a red right-handed Gibson SG 6-string which looked very much as if it was strung right-handed. Interesting documentary, using very high-tech ouija boards to not only contact Noel Redding and Mitch Mitchell but also to film them.

He claimed he invented Frank Sinatra, he lyin..........

On a serious note, just watched it and thought it was quite good. I`m not a particular fan of Hendrix but thought this show portrayed him in a very good light, and a fair bit different to how I`d imagined him.