Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Why do I prefer playing on my Epi EB0 short scale to playing my Sandberg?

Dandelion

Its true.

Firstly, I am resigned that I will never be a bass virtuoso, I am a solid "plodder" at best.

But ideas in my head seem to translate better to the short scale, I can noodle along improvising on the EB0 and it all sounds right.

Do the same on the long scale and it does not flow the same, I become clumsy and inprecise. I have to think more..

My last gig I chose to take the Epi.

I find the Epi more intuative to play, but the Sandberg is obviously the better bass in everyway.

Amplified the Sandberg makes truly amazing noises, The Epi just thuds along in a dark and sinister manner.

The Sandberg has a nice low action with no fret buzz, The EB0 has a medium / high action, it hates low action and no amount of bridge adjustment and shimming can alter that.

The Sandberg feels and plays like the craftsman made instrument it is, The Epi is just agricultural in comparision.

Am I being a plonker to stick with the Epi while her beautiful sister lies unused in her case?

Would perserverence help?

It's messing with my head..

Would I be better off looking to trade the Sandberg for a better quality short scale?

You're not a plonker. Your preferences are not wrong, they're yours and yours alone and you don't need to justify them to anyone.

Sounds to me like you do indeed enjoy playing short(er) scale basses but are looking for a different sound than the EB-0 provides. There's considerably less choice in the short scale department, but I guess you should identify what it is you like about the Sandberg then try to find that in a short scale. I'm a regular scale kind of guy so I have no useful advice to impart in this. Good luck.

It may be that it's harder to get a low action on a short scale bass because the string tension is lower.
You could try higher tension strings, but many players prefer a higher action anyway.

It doesn't matter what bass is best on paper or in other people's opinion.
All that matters is that you find the one that works for you.......... sounds like you already have ;)

There are loads of short scale choices out there now if you want something that sounds different.

Squier have the Mustang, Tele in 2 versions, The Mikey Way Mustang & Bronco. Fender have the Mustang and Pawn Shop Mustang. Gretsch do the Junior Jet 1 & 2 and so on. I don't think there's ever been so much choice for short scale basses.

If you want to go down the route of picking and choices woods, electronics etc, Warmoth now do [url="http://www.warmoth.com/Bass/ShortScale/"]short scale[/url] designs

Edited by Delberthot

Like others said - if you don't feel well with the bass, why keep it? It takes room for something that suits you better. :)
I did it with my Ibanez ATK310 - great sound, but something was off with it, so I traded it for cash I bought Tele bass with. Now I have three basses you can see in my signature, but I like the Tele best. While she has only one, muddy humbucker in the neck position and theoretically is least versatile bass of the three, she's my favourite: she's most comfy, has my favourite Roto 88 Tapewound strings and my, she's a looker. And when tempering with the tone knob, I can get a lot of her, much more than her looks would say to the one who has basic understanding that bridge PU = ring, neck PU = mud.
What I'm trying to say is that you have to listen to your gut. And who knows, what a lovely axe you'll get for the quid you'll earn for that Sandberg?

Edited by Immo

Maybe there's some weird psychology at work , some deep rooted guilt that you should like the fancy bass better but don't, and you therefore find that hard to justify.

What was your childhood like? What do you actually mean when you say you like the Epi EB0 better? Mmmh?

Dr Donnyboy( Struck-off)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1382808359' post='2256853']
I have no idea why you prefer any Gibson type bass over the Sandberg but you do, and if that keeps you picking the bass
up then stick with it...
[/quote]

I don't think it's that at all. Some people just can't work on a 34 inch scale.

The issue is totally understandable but unfortunatly as has been said the choice for quality short scale stuff is limited.

I don't many at all, but I'd stay away from any Gibson version of the EB or SG, while structurally better and higher quality the sound will be relatively the same, thud, wool and undefined. The complete opposite to the Sandberg.

There is a really nice brand that make some funky looking basses that use MM style humbuckers in useable places, and I think they are 32 inch which is nice size, but the name alludes me.
Models called the thundergun or something like that.

Edited by Prime_BASS

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1382948554' post='2258172']
Would that be Reverend guitars? Think I saw a couple of reviews online.
[/quote]

Ah yes, Reverend, had a quick a Google. The dub king is the short scale one they do.

Could always try a MIJ jazz, the JB62m which is 32 inch and the JB62ss which is 30 incher. The one medium scale one I tried was awesome.