Why become a member? ×

Dirty Loops' first original number

xilddx

[quote name='Josh' timestamp='1382643190' post='2255014']
I must be in the minority of those who these guys do absolutely nothing for. Polished technique and slick production and arranging, but it's just too much for me to enjoy both as a musician and general listener.
[/quote]

You're not alone on this I don't think, kind of stale listening.

[quote name='Josh' timestamp='1382643190' post='2255014']
I must be in the minority of those who these guys do absolutely nothing for. Polished technique and slick production and arranging, but it's just too much for me to enjoy both as a musician and general listener.
[/quote]

Nope. As a unit, I don't much like it. It's too free-form and avant-garde for me.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1382643768' post='2255027']
I would love it if this sort of thing ended up on radio one.
[/quote]

Yep, I never listen to Radio 1. :D

All very talented, etc, but, for me, deeply irritating music.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1383041420' post='2259321']

I would suggest, sir, that you give Sun Ra or Global Unity Orchestra a miss! Or possibly check them out to experience just how free-form and avant-garde music can get ;-)
[/quote]

Yep - they seem to me to be about as far away from "free-form" as you could get - everything's arranged to the Nth degree and they all have the chops to keep up with programme!

That said, it's plain to me that they *do* possess huge amounts of funk, soul and musicality and I find it refreshing to see young players following their own path and not trudging down the dreary but fashionable retro route.

Good luck to them.

Ed

[quote name='EMG456' timestamp='1383055366' post='2259570']
Yep - they seem to me to be about as far away from "free-form" as you could get - everything's arranged to the Nth degree and they all have the chops to keep up with programme!
That said, it's plain to me that they *do* possess huge amounts of funk, soul and musicality and I find it refreshing to see young players following their own path and not trudging down the dreary but fashionable retro route.
Good luck to them.
[/quote]

Agree with all this.
Top musicianship, great arrangement, played with ease and in total control.

[quote name='EMG456' timestamp='1383055366' post='2259570']

Good luck to them.

Ed
[/quote]
I echo your good luck to them but can't hear anything near to funk. I don't happen to like it but that's not to say it isn't any good. It just isn't funk.

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1383245467' post='2262133']
Precision = Sterility in a lot of people's worlds. It's a shame.
[/quote]

Oddly, I like really clean recordings. Don't know if that's the same as what is being referred to as sterile. To me, sterile means bland and unfeeling.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1383041420' post='2259321']
I would suggest, sir, that you give Sun Ra or Global Unity Orchestra a miss! Or possibly check them out to experience just how free-form and avant-garde music can get ;-)
[/quote]

Oh, I know, I'm just not a fan of it. I'll probably get loads of hate for this - but I like my music to conform to modern standards of arrangement and melody.

[/quote]

Not mine, I appreciate precision and technicality when it's done with feeling and genuine energy. That self satisfied look they all give each other when they do something tricky says it all I think.

[quote name='bobbass4k' timestamp='1383246896' post='2262181']
Not mine, I appreciate precision and technicality when it's done with feeling and genuine energy. That self satisfied look they all give each other when they do something tricky says it all I think.
[/quote]

You don't laugh and share joy with your bandmates when you do something cool as a band? Those magic moments when you all look at each other and go 'wahahaaay! wickid!!'

They all have genuine feeling and energy from what I can see. They live and breath music. They have put so much work into what they do and where they are now. What a shame that people feel so cynical and judgemental about their perceived levels of energy and genuine feeling.

[/quote]
Not for me. It has nothing to do with precision = sterility for me, i just don't like it.

On saying that, most of the music that i like would probably be torture to listen to for many on here.

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1383251817' post='2262280']
My opinion is that, in spite of them being excellent players, and tight as a unit, it's boring.

Like I say, that is my view. I see it as an academic musical exercise. A very good one, but it won't sell, as there is no discernible hook to attract the masses.
[/quote]

I agree. Obviously incredibly skilled musicians, and really well produced, but I don't find it interesting.