Why become a member? ×

What's The WORST Advice...?

Lowender

As well meaning as it may have been, what's the worst musical advice you've ever gotten?

For me, it's two things: "Don;t listen to recording of yourself, or you;'ll start to copy yourself. " (I took that to heart and it made me waste years of potential progress).

The second is : "Don't use a metronome or your playing will be stiff." (I know Jeff Berlin is still advocating this, but as much as I respect Jeff as a player, it's just flat out idiotic).

What's yours?

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1382191380' post='2249097']
Someone once said to me "Never sell a musical instrument. You'll always regret it".
[size=4]I have taken him at his word. Now I need a bigger house. [/size] :lol:
[/quote]

That's good advice. I don't need a bigger house, though - I need the musical instrument back.

[quote name='Acebassmusic' timestamp='1382193543' post='2249134']
Good point! I guess I should have read the thread properly....doh!
[/quote]

Or work this in somehow...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLIppgE45wM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLIppgE45wM[/url]

'Bass should be played in such and such a way...' always turns me off, because of how many varying opinions there are on exactly what purpose bass should play and how much it should stand out - whatever works for me and the band I'm playing with at the time is what I'll stick to. Think how naff the Stranglers would be if JJ Burnel had been told to keep it simple and put focus on the guitar instead.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1382208013' post='2249363']
... and...

"You need to get a five-string."
[/quote]
And the flip side then, "proper bass players only play four strings, everything can be done on a four with a D tuner etc etc etc" it can't and I personally should have gone to five years earlier.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1382209614' post='2249391']
And the flip side then, "proper bass players only play four strings, everything can be done on a four with a D tuner etc etc etc" it can't and I personally should have gone to five years earlier.
[/quote]
Actually, in my experience it's the other way around: "proper bass players only play five strings, everything can be done on a five without a D tuner etc etc etc" - no one has ever told me that I ought to play four strings.