Why become a member? ×

First bass?

waynepunkdude

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='223629' date='Jun 21 2008, 03:28 PM']Do you still have it or that rather lovely jumper? :)[/quote]

If I still had the jumper there is no way I would fit in it now !!
No idea what happened to the bass after its second headstock break as I bought my Hofner S7B which I still have
geez it was 30 years ago ...

Epiphone EB-3 cherry red. Got it from local shop Bruce Millers in Aberdeen in 2003, can't remember how much. Still got it, been pimping it lately with a Hipshot Supertone bridge and now a DiMarzio Model One pickup at the neck. Next to require attention will be the electronics, which have scratchy pots and fuzzy kind of sound at anything less than full volume.

(Model One not shown)

Mine was a 4s Stagg, P/J config, sunburst finish.
It served me well, only thing is I was (and still am) a guitar player so I used to play it with a pick and all my bass lines were like guitar lines. Now, I'm still a guitar player but I learned how to play fingerstyle and compose proper bass lines :huh:

The bass itself was not that bad, it was just ok for its price (around £130). When I replaced it with an active Ibanez BTB400 though, well... my bandmates said "now you're talking" :)

Edited by Herr Fixxxer

[quote name='Herr Fixxxer' post='223762' date='Jun 21 2008, 07:03 PM']Mine was a 4s Stagg, P/J config, sunburst finish.
It served me well, only thing is I was (and still am) a guitar player so I used to play it with a pick and all my bass lines were like guitar lines.[/quote]

I always play with a pick but a lot of bass lines i play are very fast and need alternate picking.

Peavey Foundation was mine, red with a maple neck. I bought it off a guy a school on my 14th birthday. It was a good bass actually, nice sound IIRC. I sold it to my brother's friend who promptly butchered it. I think he was going to cover it in some fluffy material but whether or not that actually happened I hope to never find out :)

[quote name='Herr Fixxxer' post='223762' date='Jun 21 2008, 07:03 PM']Mine was a 4s Stagg, P/J config, sunburst finish.
It served me well, only thing is I was (and still am) a guitar player so I used to play it with a pick and all my bass lines were like guitar lines. Now, I'm still a guitar player but I learned how to play fingerstyle and compose proper bass lines :huh:[/quote]
Sounds like what i had, stagg BC300 :)

Mine was an old "Satellite" JapCrap Jazz copy. Sunburst (nice, actually!), tort guard, block inlays, but on a plywood body. Paid £50 for it in McGrane's in Leeds (don't think it's still there, used to be just around the corner from the Leeds Grand).

I managed to drop it and snap an ear off one of the machines so I threw it out of my window and set fire to it, which in hindsight may have been a bit of an overreaction. So no, I no longer have it but a friend of mine's still got part of the fingerboard. :)

Edited by thisnameistaken

mine was a marlin sidewinder it was crap, took my brother with me to look at it thinking he knew something bout guitars! turns out he didnt i bought it doh! it had bowed neck and sounded crap and i used to look at bass player in another band at schools columbus copy (in blue like steve harris pbass copy)with deep envy ha ha, i eventually got over it when i bought my first usa pbass a 77 in natural finish for £220 quid sometime in the 80s

Mine was a black Jazz copy branded "yamato" new from Soho Soundhouse in 1979 for £75 when I was 15. It was rather crappy and wasn't much improved by defretting, so I sold it to a mate.

My daughter on the other hand had a 1971 fender musicmaster when she was 5. :huh: :)

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard

Mine was a horrible, horrible short scale Jedson bass - with those horrible slidy on/off switches for the pickups - which invariably got knocked, muting the guitar, when plucking entusiastically!

It was 1973 and it was £19.50 from Contact in Leeds. And I was 15

And I learned 'Sunshine of your love' and the 12 bar progression on the bus back home beause I had a gig that night!

David

Edited by Funkmaster

Mine was a late 70s/early 80s Cimar (an entry level Ibanez name I think), which cost £40, regrettably traded for a Hohner P bass copy that had a broken truss rod. That was summer 1986.
Xmas 1986 brought a Marlin Sidewinder P/J thing in metallic blue (plywood body and all) that lasted until I was distracted by a Gibson SG in 1988. I think the Marlins were about £120 new back then.

The next bass was in 1994, a Jap Squire (silver series) Jazz bass, which I still have, and is still a pretty much a match really for anything else I have.

NB I bought an Epiphone EB-3 last week for a bit of fun. Plays well, looks outrageous, sounds quite good. :) But my god, it is pure torture to play standing up, as it is SO neck heavy. No wonder Gibson never caught on in the bass playing world. Fender all the way for gigs I'm afraid.

[attachment=9937:StreamImage.jpg]
Regrets, I've had a few........

This was my first bass, a Gibson EB2, although the photo is of a 1959 and mine was 1962....(they want $7500!)
I got it in 1974 along with a Truevoice (Selmer T&:huh: snakeskin covered 50 watt valve amp.

As I was into funk and soul and the EB2 was very 'woody', short scale, with poor intonation; bought for £50 I sold it for £120 :huh:

I gave the amp to a colleague for chainsawing a tree down in my garden............ :)

Then there was my Squier first series Precision Bass....

Did pick up a Jaydee Roadie from the secondhand shop in Leeds next to where the Duchess used to be: £300 and featured in Bassist Magazine no less!

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...

Edited by yorks5stringer

I had a cheap Encore P-bass. You know one of these ones that comes in the package with a rubbish little amp, strap that snaps after 2 uses and picks that snap in half...
I'm glad I've upgraded :)

Like this but not as good... lol!

Edited by Sarah5string

Mine was a very old and battered Westone Quantum stick bass from the 80s that I got from our old bass player before he left the band. Being a Prince fan he had hand painted the body a gopping purple colour, the fretboard in white and drawn spider webs on the PU covers. I stripped it back and resprayed the body in Spectral Blue (the same colour as my car) and restored the fretboard back to it's original natural state. I replaced volume and tone knobs with matt black knurled items and sprayed the rest of the hardware in matt black. Didn't look half bad once I'd finished and it was certainly good enough to practice on. I keep it at the office now so that I can indulge when the urge takes me....

First 'proper' bass was a Hayman 4040, bought on the 'never-never' around 1970/71 for £145 from Sound City, London (Shaftesbury Avenue).
Sadly, long gone but here's a pic of the exact same bass I had, complete with smoked perspex pickup covers:

[attachment=9973:h4040nat2.jpg]

[quote name='Funkmaster' post='224714' date='Jun 23 2008, 09:04 AM']Mine was a horrible, horrible short scale Jedson bass - with those horrible slidy on/off switches for the pickups - which invariably got knocked, muting the guitar, when plucking entusiastically!

It was 1973 and it was £19.50 from Contact in Leeds. And I was 15[/quote]

Yes.... me too!..... I was 13, what a horrible bass it was! (though I wouldn't have known it at the time) I didn't really start to learn how to play till several years later... it sat in the corner of my room trying to look cool for a couple of years...

I eventually sold it at school... & got an Audition bass from Woolworth's, £10 coz it was shop soiled & had a string missing...
Then the journey really began...
can't find a pic .....

[quote name='bottomfeed' post='225802' date='Jun 24 2008, 12:27 PM']Yes.... me too!..... I was 13, what a horrible bass it was! (though I wouldn't have known it at the time) I didn't really start to learn how to play till several years later... it sat in the corner of my room trying to look cool for a couple of years...

I eventually sold it at school... & got an Audition bass from Woolworth's, £10 coz it was shop soiled & had a string missing...
Then the journey really began...
can't find a pic .....[/quote]

Great to see a photo of a Jedson again, Bottomfeed

Strangely enough - my college tutor started out on a Jedson too.

It kind of blew away my excuse for never being a particluarly good player!

David

bought my first one in about 90/91, can't remember the make but it was like a jazz special, slim neck P and J pickups and i think 2 volume and 1 tone or something like that. black body and matching headstock maple (ish) neck and rosewood fret board. as far as i remember it played ok. but i sold it to make up for a bit of the money i spent on a 2 band natural stingray which i also dont have.