Why become a member? ×

Lakland Duck Dunn

niceguyhomer

I love this bass but the band prefer a different sound and it's too good to gather dust in my den. It's in brand new condition and comes in a really nice Lakland gig bag. I'll even chuck in a mint green pickguard. I paid £600 for it - you can have it for the same money.

Will trade with an open mind.

Collection or meet within a reasonable distance.

Pics (more on request)

With original white pickguard

...and minty green

I wouldn't be quite so harsh but I'd be tempted to ask if they're prepared to help fund you something out of band funds rather than you feeling forced to sell your lovely Lakky. Lots of band situations are a compromise - I'm always persuading our guitarist to play Fenders rather than Gibsons (which he has tuning issues with) for example.

..........No , that was a fence sitting lie. F**k 'em too.

I agree with the others on this - I'd question the ability of the other band members to question the actual tone of your bass (especially when it's something as classy as a Lakland!).

Have they said exactly what it is they don't like - E.G. If they think it's too "thumpy" or "bright" etc. then it could surely be remedied by adjusting the amp setting and/or the tone on the bass itself.

Also - have they actually got off the stage and listened to how it sounds out front or are they just talking about stage monitoring sound?

I have to admit to having had the reverse of this debate with a guitarist in a soul band who insisted on using an Ibanez pointy headstock guitar with a super crunchy Marshall which had a sound that was way too heavy for soul rhythm playing. However the big issue here was a whole combination of things and I'm sure he could have got a more 'appropriate' sound from his rig had he been bothered.

AAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just after I have bought Carlosfandango's Sandberg 5 !!!!!!!!!!!
AAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck with the sale for a beautiful instrument. But agree with the others the band has no right to tell you what you should be playing....tell them to fund what they want you to play and you'll gladly play it!!!!

Firstly the drummer is a she :)

A beautiful bass there Alan, I've always hankered after one but having owned a Bob Glaub and now that my Warmoth is Darkstar'd I think I've got my virtual P sorted.

This is a cracking deal and I know how well you look after your gear.

Peter

This is a shame - I recall just very recently you were selling something else because your dream bass had come up for sale (this one) and you'd purchased it. How disappointing to see it going so quickly.

If you don't mind my asking, what is the band sound? And how does a pretty basic precision not "fit" ? In my experience (many years fewer than you) a P fits in almost anywhere!

Regards

Mike

Hi Mike,

This is the fourth P bass I've had - I seem to keep keep buying 'em and selling 'em shortly after. The band consists of guitar, bass, drums and vocals and we play classic soul / 60s stuff. Given that, you'd think a P would be the perfect choice really but in our situation, something like a Stingray or a good Jazz is actually better.

Because we're playing stuff that normally relies on brass / keys etc etc, I play some of the melody to songs and I need something that's quite full sounding and at the same time, articulate. Truth is, a Precision fills out the bottom end very nicely but they don't have the definition for what we do.

The other thing, is it's very important in a small band that the 'parts' combine to produce something greater and if anything isn't right, it reduces the overall effect and sticks out like a sore thumb. The guitarist has a sound of his own and certain basses just don't blend well and this is why people have seen and commented ad nauseum on how quickly I go through basses. I buy 'em, try 'em and if they don't work, I sell 'em. Simple as that.

I was hoping I could have sold this without having to justify it - other BCers seem able to buy basses and sell them in a matter of hours or days without comment or having to explain the reasons for their actions. Fact is, this has been a difficult decision to take - I was toying with the idea of adding a J pup to improve things but I've been put off by the thought of spending £200 on a modification and the possibility of still not being able to use it live.

I know people mean well and I appreciate the support.

I'm assuming that's a standard passive circuit in there?

Maybe a higher spec PU and an active pre might help give it more of that crispness a Stingray would have - apologies if you've already thought of this, just trying to come up with ideas to 'save' this baby for you!