Why become a member? ×

Advice on buying from gumtree

elom

There's a guy selling a bass on gumtree. We've exchanged a couple of texts and all seems good. I have no reason to doubt his authenticity (nor he mine).

However the bass is on the other side of the country so going to pick it up is not an option. I want to do the deal but am wondering how to make this happen without having to put a huge amount of trust in a total stranger with no comeback if it all goes pear-shaped.

I suppose I could ask him to list it on ebay with a BIN price so that I can buy via Paypal with some assurance but I expect he'd rather avoid the extra ebay charges that go with that. I might ask anyway.

Anyone got any advice?

thanks, elom

[quote name='tommorichards' timestamp='1381788385' post='2243924']
Ask someone here who lives near there to check it out.
[/quote]

Agreed, not a bad idea - particularly if the price tag is reasonably big. Find someone whose opinion you trust, and ask them to take a look; sure, the risk is still yours, but you might get a little reassurance.

Alternatively, offer to front the extra charges from eBay/Paypal yourself. If you want that insurance, pay for it. I doubt many sellers will have much objection to doing it that way providing they're not losing out for it, and if the bass is a valuable item it's a small price to pay for that peace of mind.

Since VAT went up I have done more succesful buying and selling on Gumtree than on ebay without any issues. An element of trust and good comms is essential but as long as you can get the seller to accept paypal then you are covered as long as you mark it down as a 'purchase of goods'. I've also done bank transfers but only after speaking with the seller and trying to gauge their character. But, if your nervous, then paypal is the only way. He's also very unlikely to want to list it on ebay cos he'll have to add on his final value fees and VAT which, as an additional cost to you, you may not want to pay.

Smahe Gumtree didn't operate like www.adverts.ie, the Irish site that offers sales lisitngs without dipping your wallet like evilbay does yet operates a feedback system not disimilar to ebay's.

Edited by Stacker

I've had interesting experiences on Gumtree, including meeting a nice chap off the overnight bus from London in Glasgow , so that he could buy a £200 bass. It all went well and was a bit of an adventure, and was based 100% on trust.

I would suggest you speak with the seller and that way you'll be better able to suss it out. Good luck!

[quote name='Donnyboy' timestamp='1381821048' post='2244061']
I've had interesting experiences on Gumtree, including meeting a nice chap off the overnight bus from London in Glasgow , so that he could buy a £200 bass. It all went well and was a bit of an adventure, and was based 100% on trust.

I would suggest you speak with the seller and that way you'll be better able to suss it out. Good luck!
[/quote]

this - if you are unsure then probably best to politely decline

personally i would only buy off gumtree if it was close enough that i could go in person and inspect the goods and take the cash with me

even on our beloved basschat forum i have bought two basses from here (one 20 mins and the other about 80 mins drive away) and a further on from evilbay which was about 40 mins drive away - buying stuff like pedals is different as they pretty much do what they say on the tin but an instrument you need to pick up and handle and play and see how it feels - just because you like the make and model is not always a guarantee for satisfaction and the best way to ensure you do like the instrument imho is to pick it up and play it :)

having said all that i do appreciate your geographic location might have a significant effect on your decision - please excuse us south-east londoncentric spoilt for choice bassists :D

[quote name='tommorichards' timestamp='1381788385' post='2243924']
Ask someone here who lives near there to check it out.
[/quote]

+1 on this.

Find someone you trust on here, send them the money, they go check it out and buy if legit then send to you.

Done this a while ago for someone on here who was buying a pedal from Gumtree

I've sold on Gumtree and Preloved, but I'm hyper honest and if ever I want to buy something not near home, I ask them to use Skype and try to gauge things that way. I even suggest it if i'm selling as well.
If they wont use it, then that's a finisher for me. Not perfect, but it all helps.

Whilst buying a couple of other things quite successfully from local sellers, I've had a recent quite negative experience on Gumtree that was eventually resolved but left quite a bitter taste in my mouth.

Brought an MXR pedal off a guy that took the best part of three weeks to arrive (there was ALWAYS an excuse why he couldn't go down to the post office and get it sent) and then only after I'd threatened to send in the cavalry. Throughout the process, there was an awful feeling that I'd have really could have done with the "safety" (and I use that term loosely) that eBay/PayPal offers.

The upside is that once flagged to Gumtree, they did seem very concerned with making sure that the seller's account was temporarily disabled and they were also prepared to action the issue as online fraud and call the law in as part of a formal process. Thankfully, in this instance, it all panned out.

Like others have mentioned, if you're not ABSOLUTELY sure, don't.

[quote name='Colonel36' timestamp='1381828016' post='2244142']
I've sold on Gumtree and Preloved, but I'm hyper honest and if ever I want to buy something not near home, I ask them to use Skype and try to gauge things that way. I even suggest it if i'm selling as well.
If they wont use it, then that's a finisher for me. Not perfect, but it all helps.
[/quote]

Haha, that's not a bad idea, and made me cast my mind back. I did once make a YouTube video for a BC'er, wanting to have a further "look" at a bass I was selling. It's not a bad idea, to show people around the instrument - and with Skype, you can always ask questions.

Thanks guys, going to talk with the seller later tonight. Also the advice on PayPal was spot on, as long as I mark the money transfer as payment for goods then I am covered by their Buyer Protection. So that's the line I'm going to go down. There is 3.4% charge for the seller but I don't mind paying that if I need to.

[quote name='elom' timestamp='1381861138' post='2244709']
Thanks guys, going to talk with the seller later tonight. Also the advice on PayPal was spot on, as long as I mark the money transfer as payment for goods then I am covered by their Buyer Protection. So that's the line I'm going to go down. There is 3.4% charge for the seller but I don't mind paying that if I need to.
[/quote]I've been keeping track of gumtree basses for a while looking for that elusive thumb bass (now i'm in a place to buy they all dry up) - really wondering what it is you're after! Q... is it north of the border and blue?

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1381861455' post='2244714']
I've been keeping track of gumtree basses for a while looking for that elusive thumb bass (now i'm in a place to buy they all dry up) - really wondering what it is you're after! Q... is it north of the border and blue?
[/quote]

yes I'm curious too - is it over water?

Spoken to the guy. Seems nice enough, long chat about basses. Transferred cash via PayPal and so will hope to see my new bass in a couple of days. First new bass related purchase for 4 years so I have been good!

Yes Donnyboy, it was indeed red and 300 miles away - a Nate Mendel P Bass winging its way from Norfolk to Devon :D[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='elom' timestamp='1381868845' post='2244867']
Spoken to the guy. Seems nice enough, long chat about basses. Transferred cash via PayPal and so will hope to see my new bass in a couple of days. First new bass related purchase for 4 years so I have been good!

Yes Donnyboy, it was indeed red and 300 miles away - a Nate Mendel P Bass winging its way from Norfolk to Devon :D
[/quote]

Nice. Quite chuffed with my deductive powers :thank_you:

[quote name='elom' timestamp='1381788288' post='2243923']
I could ask him to list it on eBay with a BIN price so that I can buy via PayPal with some assurance...
[/quote]

There's always the risk that someone else will jump in and buy it before you do!

Good luck, let us know when it arrives. And we'll need to see pics, obviously. :)