Why become a member? ×

I need a repair guru (Snapped neck information)

fumps

As some of you will know I'm a technical adviser for a adhesives manufacturer and I often will get sent strange weird & wonderful questions from the general public.

I have just received one from a guy who has a 12 string guitar that has a broken neck, now I know what our adhesives can do but I'm more worried that this repair wont be worth the effort. I believe I can specify an adhesive that will do it but I'm not sure if the guitar would be playable after this.

Can someone help me on this one ?

BC wont let me post pictures from my work pooter, so I may need to forward on an email if that's ok ?

Any help & advice would be greatly appreciated.

Difficult to say without seeing photos, but normally with neck and headstock breaks the condition of the broken surfaces is the most important consideration rather than the type of glue used. If the break is clean and new, then any decent wood glue should do the job (provided the joint can be clamped properly while it sets). Problems arise when bits of wood are missing or moisture has got into the bare wood revealed by the break causing it to swell.

My advice is that if your customer wants the guitar to remain a playable instrument, they should take it it a reputable luthier (maybe a local one from [url=http://basschat.co.uk/topic/26654-recommended-luthiers/]this list[/url] and get the job done properly.

Rough pricing: http://www.edgeguitarservices.co.uk/maj_rep.htm

If its a Gibson guitar, they are designed to have the headstock break off (must be, because if it wasn't on purpose, they'd have fixed the issue by now, like every other guitar manufacturer) so most luthiers in the neck repair field will be familiar with the work.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1381753635' post='2243124']
If its a Gibson guitar, they are designed to have the headstock break off (must be, because if it wasn't on purpose, they'd have fixed the issue by now, like every other guitar manufacturer) so most luthiers in the neck repair field will be familiar with the work.
[/quote]

Aww man, how come none of mine have broken off? By this logic does that mean all my Gibsons are defective? ;)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1381750792' post='2243078']
Difficult to say without seeing photos, but normally with neck and headstock breaks the condition of the broken surfaces is the most important consideration rather than the type of glue used. If the break is clean and new, then any decent wood glue should do the job (provided the joint can be clamped properly while it sets). Problems arise when bits of wood are missing or moisture has got into the bare wood revealed by the break causing it to swell.

My advice is that if your customer wants the guitar to remain a playable instrument, they should take it it a reputable luthier (maybe a local one from [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/26654-recommended-luthiers/"]this list[/url] and get the job done properly.
[/quote]

I concur with this. Photos could change things, but if the instrument has value (sentimental included...), then a luthier would be the best bet. Not too expensive if it's an easy one (so not much mileage in DIY...), necessary evil otherwise, if it's to be restored correctly.
Just my tuppence-worth; hope this helps.

Put your pics on photobucket.com or similar and post the IMG tags here.

I have a mandolin with a mahogany neck which suffered a complete break at the headstock. Local luthier is a guy called Colin Fulton who repaired the break. I dont know what adhesive he used, but you can only see the join if you know it's there and you go looking for it.

Colin is a top guy who would be happy to talk to you about this. Pm me for his contact details, or you can find them in the pinned 'luthiers' thread in Bass Guitars.

The only time i've not been able to fix something is when the owner didn't want to pay.
At worst when a head is off in pieces and blathered with epoxy in a botched diy repair i've cut it off just after the nut , taken the board off and jointed a new head on under the board area, before putting the board back on , not cheap , but noone had to chuck it in the bin .

Sometimes when someone owns a 'cheap' guitar and he wants a cheap repair . Unfortunately guitar's value doesn't dictate how long the job takes .
If its a straight forward job it should n't cost too much .
I honestly believe the best advice you could give him is ,not to keep opening and closing the joint to have look , he''l just end up making it more difficult to repair and he should to take it to a luthier for a quote before buying the glue , he might be pleasantly surprised at the cost of the repair . Tbh if he had woodworking experience i don't think he'd be asking for glue advice .

Edited by SparkBird

[url="http://s17.photobucket.com/user/Incarante/media/mishmash111_zpsd12bf393.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s17.photobucket.com/user/Incarante/media/mishmash107_zpsdca0b42d.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s17.photobucket.com/user/Incarante/media/mishmash108_zps01c95355.jpg.html"][/url]

[url="http://s17.photobucket.com/user/Incarante/media/mishmash110_zpse3b83f48.jpg.html"][/url]

Actually that looks like a fairly clean break - has the scarf-joint for the headstock failed?

My biggest concern would be any distortion to the fingerboard - especially since one of the frets has popped out. Still a job for a decent luthier IMO. Not to fix the break itself, but all the extra work like replacing the missing fret and nut to make it playable again.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1381845088' post='2244454'] Actually that looks like a fairly clean break - has the scarf-joint for the headstock failed? My biggest concern would be any distortion to the fingerboard - especially since one of the frets has popped out. Still a job for a decent luthier IMO. Not to fix the break itself, but all the extra work like replacing the missing fret and nut to make it playable again. [/quote]

Agreed - Looks like it's split the fretboard which might be a bit tricky to relocate when it's trying to slide on the adhesive, but I've seen worse breaks glue up successfully. Making playable afterwards is the tough bit... plus the finish has taken a bit of a hammering so making it pretty again will need some skill. I'd be looking in the Luthiers thread for someone fairly local with a good rep to recommend.

Hi Guys

Sorry I'm doing three peoples jobs today so it's mental busy here, yes as you can see by the pictures it's a nasty one.

As I said to the good Mr Foxen here that I can advise on the adhesive but there are so many things to go wrong I was really unsure where to go with it.

I will email the owner tomorrow & let them know.

Thank you for all the help & advice offered it's really appreciated (And welcome to what I do for a living lol you never know what you will be asked one day to the next) now I have to help a sculptor design a giant bull rush using recycled bottles.

You guys think I'm being random but the above is true I really am doing this tomorrow