Why become a member? ×

Bandmates 'weathering' a P Bass

elom

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1381768378' post='2243416']
That Jackass programme has got a lot to answer for .

If someone did that to one of my basses they would find it a life-changing experience.
[/quote]

:D

They're nice posh kids, they wouldn't do that without permission from it's owner :) Still a bunch of f***ing donuts though.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1381768594' post='2243421']
:D

They're nice posh kids, they wouldn't do that without permission from it's owner :) Still a bunch of f***ing donuts though.
[/quote]

Indeed, but, without wishing to sound pompous( but probably sounding a bit that way) , the worrying thing is that this kind of attitude and behaviour is symptomatic of a kind of fake , forced wrecklessness that silly people ( mainly younger people) think is amusing and entertaining nowadays , when in fact it's just infuriating and ultimately quite dangerous if and when they apply it to other parts of their lives . These kids need to learn , it's all fun and games until someone gets their eye poked out. :)

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1381769212' post='2243441']
So it's OK to pay someone to professionally relic a bass, but sacrilege to let your mates do it?
[/quote]

I was literally just thinking about that .

Maybe this video could be the beginning of the end for relicing . Although having said that , you do realise that Fender tap their bits of wood with a mallet first to check they sound O.K nowadays ? They will almost certainly scrape the paint off the body strategically to ensure the best possible sound from that resonant piece of body wood . The kids are just amatures by comparison , vandalising a bass without proper training.

Edited by Dingus

Did a favour for a mate a while back, playing bass at a high fee school parent charity ball thing, posh do, expensive tickets etc.

They got the school band to play a few songs before us, and the bass player had a brand new MIA P bass, no stand, it fell over a few times and she didn't care, I said to my mate (who was a teacher there) that she was damaging a bass worth £800 , he said I know, that's what they are like, it's nothing to them.

I suppose at least in the above example, it's stupid but natural relicing, but attaching it to a car?

Edited by lojo

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1381769636' post='2243460']
Although having said that , you do realise that Fender tap their bits of wood with a mallet first to check they sound O.K nowadays ? They will almost certainly scrape the paint off the body strategically to ensure the best possible sound from that resonant piece of body wood
[/quote]

You are joking...?

So it's OK to pay someone to professionally relic a bass, but sacrilege to let your mates do it?
[/quote]

well im sure the guys in the sandberg factory probably make a concerted and careful effect to achieve a planned result rather than just twattin around like beavis and butthead ;)

[/quote]

Certainly not!

OK I have one but I just bought it to rescue it from further abuse. :)

Edited by Pinball

Just realised that this is the band that our very own Captain_Bass used to be in. Hope his basses survived intact!

I suppose as their bass player was in on it then it's all okay and he can do what he likes with his instruments but it just seems like wanton twattishness to me.

I have a reliced 52P but if anyone did this to any of my instruments he would have eight broken fingers and two broken wrists PDQ!

And I would take the consequences from the courts, too - stoically!

A boring tale.........
I played a festival once where the middle class twunt of a bass player who went on before us threw his Ampeg SVTIII head off the back of stage during the load out "because I'm having a bad day".

It broke into many pieces.

Daddy told him as they were getting into their BMW750Csi, "Never mind, I'll go to TDs and get a new one for you on Monday".

F+CK ME!

Edited by Jazzneck