Why become a member? ×

Playing simple, repetitive lines

Galilee

Last night we recorded a version of Rammstein's Engel. The bassline has about 4 notes in it and is repetitive throughout the song:

A: --3h5--65--3h5--3h5--65--

and then, on the fourth bar:

D: ----------------------------3333--
A: --3h5--65--3h5--3h5------------

That F moves about a bit (into different bars) during the song, so you have to concentrate somewhat.

I don't find it a problem playing the line, it's just that after a while (say 20 takes to get the drum track down!) it begins to affect my brain, in the same way that repeating the same word over and over until it no longer makes sense does. At which point, my left hand gets a dose of the stupids.

Any idea what's the best way to maintain focus when playing repetitive stuff like this?

[quote name='Galilee' post='222917' date='Jun 20 2008, 01:45 PM']it begins to affect my brain, in the same way that repeating the same word over and over until it no longer makes sense does.[/quote]

:huh: I'm gonna try that now, now now, now, now, now, now now, now, now, now, now now, now, now, now, now now, now, now, now, now now, now, now :)

I have to play the Stratus riff (Billy Cobham) for about 10 mins while our guitarist and drummer solo like mad. There are only 3 notes but my main problem is cramp after about 3 mins if I'm not relaxed enough at the start. I don't mind the repetition because it is the groove that makes the number work.

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='222923' date='Jun 20 2008, 01:48 PM']:huh: I'm gonna try that now, now now, now, now, now, now now, now, now, now, now now, now, now, now, now now, now, now, now, now now, now, now :)[/quote]

Nah-Weh Weh WEh Naahhh-wewh.

Knob.

Don't knock it - I would never have been able to get in a band if complex lines with a modicum of skill were needed!

Actually in one of my more repetitive bass lines at Tommy Flynn's in Camden the other night I totally lost it as the Euro 2008 was on TV near the stage and there was a great attack by the Russians .....

[quote name='chris_b' post='222930' date='Jun 20 2008, 01:58 PM']I have to play the Stratus riff (Billy Cobham) for about 10 mins while our guitarist and drummer solo like mad. There are only 3 notes but my main problem is cramp after about 3 mins if I'm not relaxed enough at the start. I don't mind the repetition because it is the groove that makes the number work.[/quote]

Maybe you could take a leaf from Kai Eckhardt's book and take a solo yourself there? :)

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='222964' date='Jun 20 2008, 02:43 PM']Don't forget the open low D in all the gaps!
Take deep breaths during the keyboard solo. Listen to the vocals to remind yourself where exactly you are in the song. That should keep you sufficiently distracted and it's what works for me when playing Engel. :)[/quote]

Actually, we have a sequencer playing throughout as well, so when I pedalled the D, I got complaints that the line was 'too busy' (yes, I am surrounded by w***ers!).

imho playing repetitive stuff should be the first thing you learn as a bass player.

it's like the anecdote about stuart copeland saying at a drum clinic that he was about to do what most modern drummers can't do...and then playing a straight, simple rock beat for 2 mins.

The trick I find is to adjust my focus in and out on the various aspects of my playing. For example, instead of focussing on the notes, focuss on the timing of the notes. Then relax and see how far I can go before your playing starts to loosen up. Before too long the song has finished!

[quote name='Clarky' post='222942' date='Jun 20 2008, 02:06 PM']Don't knock it - I would never have been able to get in a band if complex lines with a modicum of skill were needed!

Actually in one of my more repetitive bass lines at Tommy Flynn's in Camden the other night I totally lost it as the Euro 2008 was on TV near the stage and there was a great attack by the Russians .....[/quote]

Damn the amount of times i have done that i end up watching the football and the song changes and i don't, my god the rest of the band get upset lol

I sometimes have a problem with Stone Roses, I Wanna Be Adored... it's so repetitive that as soon as you think what you're doing it can all go belly up... I also hate playing those really simply basslines where you just follow the chords... no riffs.. I can never remember them as they are so indistinctive....

Edited by The Legoheads

[quote name='The Legoheads' post='223230' date='Jun 20 2008, 08:30 PM']I sometimes have a problem with Stone Roses, I Wanna Be Adored... it's so repetitive that as soon as you think what you're doing it can all go belly up... I also hate playing those really simply basslines where you just follow the chords... no riffs.. I can never remember them as they are so indistinctive....[/quote]

:)

Repetitive lines can be a drag but we need to be able to play them, I need them in a cover band and in my original band the guitar player came up with something that required a straight low D in 7/4 I think it was. They can be quite effective but at the same time boring :)

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='223257' date='Jun 20 2008, 09:25 PM']7/4? thats devil talk.[/quote]

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ! ! ! ! ! !

Listen to Dave Brubeck's awesome 'Unsquare Dance' which is in 7/4, a glorious time signature and a simple bass line but stay focussed or you lose it. Incidentally there's a video on YouTube of a Tap Dancing sequence to 'Unsquare Dance' - I think it's amazing.

The most tedious bass line i've found/played is Fleetwood Mac's 'Albatross' (AKA Albert's Truss, Alba-dross etc) - 3 minutes or so of E - F# - E. Whenever I play or hear it I lose the will to lose the will to live.

Chris.

[quote name='Galilee' post='222917' date='Jun 20 2008, 01:45 PM']Any idea what's the best way to maintain focus when playing repetitive stuff like this?[/quote]

Getting a good take is more than getting to the end of a song without any mistakes - It's got to have attitude - it has to sound fresh.

20 attempts to get it nailed really is too long (in any case I'm sure that would be in contravention of your basic human rights :) )
If your drummer hasn't got it in 4 or 5 takes then you gotta take a break or move on to something else.

If - when you come back to it - he still can't get it, then you basically have 3 choices:

Simplify the part.

Drop the song.

Use another drummer

Steve