Why become a member? ×

Recording practice sessions

Jonesy64

Hey guys,

I'm with a band that has some original material, not all of which is recorded or tabbed.

I was thinking of getting the Tascam DR-05 to record those songs as we play them so that I can then carry on practising at home.

I was just wondering if there are other options I should be looking at. The Tascam is a little bit more than I would have wanted to pay and while I am no Luddite it does appear at first glance to be overly complicated to navigate through the options.

I would stress that this is just to record songs that I am unfamiliar with so that I can get to grips with them away from practice. I wouldn't be using the recordings as demos or anything like that.

I would be really grateful for your thoughts as I have next to no idea what I should be looking at.

Many thanks!

PS, forgot to mention that I tried iPhone at last nights practice but was an overloaded noise!

Not tried the Tascam but I've been using a Zoom H2 for a couple of years with excellent results. Providing the three-way gain switch is set correctly (or it'll sound like it was recorded in a crisp packet!) with both pairs of mics selected, we just stick it in a mic stand in the middle of the room - easy.
Although you can trim and edit on the device I find it easier and quicker to edit on the computer before sending on to other band members.
It's been superseded now so you should be able to pick one up second hand cheaply.
There are other threads on here that deal with similar devices too.

Edited by Booooooom

I use a Yamaha Pocketrak W24 to record rehearsals and gigs, never had any problems with it. This was recorded at a recent gig by the yamaha just lying by the sound board: [url="https://soundcloud.com/finndave-1/my-dog-with-toby-at-crablake"]My Dog[/url]

Another +1 for Zoom H2.

Get the (very simple) options correctly set, and it's a genuinely idiot-proof recorder with single-button operation, and a sufficiently high quality of recording to use direct on your website or YouTube.

I've used mine for years at gigs, rehearsals, and jam sessions with no problems whatsoever.

Actually, that's not true. The little flap-door that covers the SD card is very flimsy and easy to snap off. Makes no difference to anything else, just sayin' ...

I use a Zoom H4n with pair of Line Audio CM3's as well as the on board mics

Granted this is a step up in "faff" from where you are going but with the device as a stereo OH pair over the drum kit and the CM3's as a very careffully placed room Mic I've repeatedly got recordings at least good enough for demos to get gigs with

I think the H1 would do you fine....

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1381344711' post='2237974']
this seems a good idea , we have been meaning to do some simple recording for a while with our band , so I might get a toy like this and give it a go
[/quote]

Definitely worth it. Once you've bought the actual device (whichever one you choose), the cost of recording each and every gig is a couple of AA batteries. If the recording tells you nothing useful, then delete it. It didn't cost you anything anyway.

Pretty soon you'll start recording rehearsals, especially if you're an originals band. Not because you want to settle down in your favourite chair and listen to the recordings, but just in case something "happens" during the rehearsal ... some inspired moment that you really, really want to be able to replicate.

Those recordings won't even cost you a couple of AA batteries, since you'll be running the recorder off a wall socket!

I'd guess that at least 90% of the rehearsal recordings I've made were deleted without being listened to ... there was nothing there that I wanted. The ones I've kept were bloody useful.

I have gigabytes of rehearsal recordings. Being a band that jams a lot when writing they are invaluable. We just finished a new track by taking something we came up with on tge very first time we got together over a year ago, and using it as a bridge. Brilliant!

I bought a tascam dr05 recently and I'm really happy with it. The reviews all suggest that there's nothing to separate it from the zoom H1; I chose it purely because the build quality is a bit better. The recordings are great with it (the sound quality, at least. The playing is another thing. ..).

This thread got me thinking that I really need to start recording our rehearsals so I've nabbed myself a secondhand H2 from Basschat as it's getting a lot of praise here :) I look forward to trying it out in a few weeks time.

• 4 weeks later...

Hermes lost the secondhand H2 I bought :( but now I have a new H2n.

What advice have folk got on settings for recording rehearsals? I'm thinking 2CH Surround Mode? anything else to consider apart from getting the levels right on the day?

Depends depends depends.

I normally put it in a corner of the room, or at least against a sidewall, using the front-firing mic-pair.

That's for a rock covers band, but that placement also works well for two different 3-piece semi-acoustic originals bands.

The two things that can most easily screw you are putting the recorder either too close to your bass amp, or in front of something directional like a small guitar combo.

I currently use a Zoom PS-04 which is a portable 4 track and has an onboard (albeit mono) condensor mic.

However after reading and looking into some of the suggestions on this post, I am now really fancy one of these portable mic-recorder devices as these may be more fit for purpose when it comes to recording a rehersal room demo.

Theres something about listening to a good quality rehersal room demo that is often more exciting than a polished mulititracked recording IMO.

Edited by Greggo

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1381323852' post='2237563']
I use a Yamaha Pocketrak W24 to record rehearsals and gigs, never had any problems with it. This was recorded at a recent gig by the yamaha just lying by the sound board: [url="https://soundcloud.com/finndave-1/my-dog-with-toby-at-crablake"]My Dog[/url]
[/quote]

I use the same recorder since 2 or 3 years. Always worked well for me, and the battery lasts forever.