Why become a member? ×

Barefaced big twin 2

thebassman

Played with one for a couple of hours at the SE Bass Bash - they are monstrously loud, my measely 500w MB sa450 head into one literally emptied the hall with the other 30 or 40 bass rigs, because no one could hear anything whilst we played with it. Once again apologies to everyone who put up with my getting very excited with filter sweeps into brown note territory at extreme war volume. Apparently you can jam 1600 watts into one all day and it will just turn your internal organs to jelly...

It sounded fantastic, effortlessly loud, but more than that a great tone.

Killer cab...

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1380894323' post='2232063']
Played with one for a couple of hours at the SE Bass Bash - they are monstrously loud, my measely 500w MB sa450 head into one literally emptied the hall with the other 30 or 40 bass rigs, because no one could hear anything whilst we played with it. Once again apologies to everyone who put up with my getting very excited with filter sweeps into brown note territory at extreme war volume. Apparently you can jam 1600 watts into one all day and it will just turn your internal organs to jelly...

Killer cab...
[/quote]

Sounds great, I will be shattering windows with my shuttlemax 9.2 then.

Cheers

Thebassman

Killer cab...
[/quote]

I happened to play through 51M0n's rig into the Big Twin 2. I think 2 words can be used to describe it - limitless brutality. I've never played anything like it. I'd never seen anything have speakers which move so far and yet still work afterwards. Never had I played a bass rig which had such low frequency extension. Might put some off, but we had the Markbass at 10 for all of a minute and it just ate the power and continued to just get louder and louder as we turned up. I'm sure that people were being turned into some sort of strange fleshy liquid in far off countries when we played it.

I did favour the treble end as hey, that's what most important to me and I went for the "full treble grind." Just ate it. That new waveguide horn is brilliant. Biting, but smooth and not shrill.

Si used some evil octave, filter and fuzz fx. It just took it without even breaking a sweat. At the volume it was being played at and the notes being produced with the octave, I didn't think it was possible. The whole off axis thing was ridiculous. I played the same figure as I walked in a wide arc of almost 180 degrees in front of it. The sound stayed virtually constant. That's another one I've never experienced.

Furthermore, I used to honestly scoff when people say "it's a one hand lift." I always thought that the people who said that played rugby for New Zealand and were made of solid muscle. I picked the thing up with one hand and I'm only 5 foot 9 and weigh in (dripping wet) at a portly 9 stone 4. It really was like it was made of.... well, nothing.

They're not cheap, but nothing good ever is. It's not for everyone I don't think as the bass extension was just soooo monstrous, but I thought it was the best cab I've ever played. Directly before that I'd played 51m0n's Bergantino 4x10. That was the best 410 I'd ever played. Brilliant.

Killer cab...
[/quote]

You must have one on order then ?!

[quote name='Wolverinebass' timestamp='1380922622' post='2232583']
... I'd never seen anything have speakers which move so far and yet still work afterwards....
[/quote]

I find this very interesting. My Big Twin T gets some serious welly due to the synth sub bass stuff I throw at it. I spent a long time running a 1400w amp into mine and playing large clubs at crazy volume and I still have not seen a driver move. It's beyond belief - The speakers literally move 1-2mm at the most, it's like the cabs not actually plugged in. If the speakers in the new one are very active I'm assuming a very different technology has been employed to produce the volume compared to the older cab.

You're not looking hard enough! ;) The speakers in the (2nd gen) Big Twin move as much as those in the (3rd gen) Big Twin 2 for a given SPL at a given frequency. However they'll move much less with an amp with inbuilt steep highpass filtering and often also less with an amp with lots of power and good damping (they wobble around much more with a 200W valve amp than with a 1000W s/s amp).

Alex - I'll shoot some video as I must be going mad. I can physically shake a picture off the wall (just now!!!) with my EBS Fafner and get pretty much no noticeable movement - just some light vibration in the drivers. Either way... I want to A/B the new cab! Any of the 1st batch heading to customers anywhere near Nottingham?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1381049281' post='2233647']
Serious GAS now. I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and start saving in earnest.
[url="http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/Big-Twin-2.htm"]http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/Big-Twin-2.htm[/url]

Alex makes it very tempting indeed.
[/quote]
I made my mind up I wanted a lightweight cab and that after much browsing of their website a barefaced was the answer. I actually put a deposit on a S15 but after filling in the e-form and a few emails back and forth with Alex he sent me the spec for the Big Twin 2, bit the bullet and went for it. After reading people's views on it at the SE bash I'm so glad I did. Can't wait for it to arrive now. If you're ever in the Bristol area and fancy a blast let me know, I live about 2 mins from our rehearsal space which is always available and volume not an issue!! :-D