Why become a member? ×

Barefaced big twin 2

thebassman

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1381052610' post='2233681']
I made my mind up I wanted a lightweight cab and that after much browsing of their website a barefaced was the answer. I actually put a deposit on a S15 but after filling in the e-form and a few emails back and forth with Alex he sent me the spec for the Big Twin 2, bit the bullet and went for it. After reading people's views on it at the SE bash I'm so glad I did. Can't wait for it to arrive now. If you're ever in the Bristol area and fancy a blast let me know, I live about 2 mins from our rehearsal space which is always available and volume not an issue!! :-D
[/quote]

Can you bring it round to my big pile of valve amps and see how it work out with them? Assume its easier to move than a big pile of valve amps. Got a video thing.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1381066069' post='2233899']
Can you bring it round to my big pile of valve amps and see how it work out with them?
Assume its easier to move than a big pile of valve amps. Got a video thing.
[/quote]

Yes please, do that then post the vid. :)

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1381066069' post='2233899']

Can you bring it round to my big pile of valve amps and see how it work out with them? Assume its easier to move than a big pile of valve amps. Got a video thing.
[/quote]
I'm happy for you to put it through its paces with your valve amps, as long as you're happy doing a set up on my Warwick in exchange for cider!!

Got mine!!!
I didn't know what to expect to be honest regarding the finish......honestly, it's a beautiful looking cab. Really well finished, and the handles are robust and retro looking. The acrylic finish is smart looking. I wasn't sure the shiny finish would be nice, but in the flesh it is really nice. Pics don't capture it well. The weight is just a miracle! Coming from an Aggy 412, it's just a dream! The need for a lightweight cab is what started my quest for a new cab in the first place.
Alex has been a great guy to deal with. He took loads of time to answer my questions, sent me very in depth replies to queries I had, including those after I got the cab delivered, or didn't thanks to FedEx, Who's driver didn't bother delivering the cab to me despite having it in his van for 9 hours. Again, Alex got straight back to me with all the delivery details so I could chase them up. Good work fella.
I'm using the cab to amplify my upright basses only. Gut strung plys, slap/pizz, Rockabilly/old school jazz/ r&b style. Underwood pickups, D tar Solstice preamp, Iamp 800.
Played my first gig with the cab straight out the box, as I had to drive to the FedEx depot to get it, grrrrrrrrrr. 2 minute sound check as I was really late. Had my pre and Iamp with my old settings from my Aggy cab. Straight away, bottom end very similar, mids much better live, very even across the strings. More than happy with 2 sets played and no adjustments made. Drummer and guitarist both said the cab looked and sounded great. When they lifted it, they both laughed.!!!
Had some time now to play around with the cab. Had some issues with eq, as its totally different to all my previous cabs. After e mails with Alex, I'm on the road to tonal satisfaction. Now running my Iamp flat with one of the presets engaged. I need to cut the mids and low end on my preamp, slight boost in the highs. Wow.......the bottom end is huge. Very close to my acoustic sound but huge volume, I can only imagine the output from this with a slab. I need to rethink my eq completely due to the cab having no dips in frequencies. Looks like I'm going to be very happy. Volume on tap, great tone and bottom end for days. All this with my initial requirement of going lightweight. Once the drivers are broken in, I can only imagine how huge this will sound( when required).

Edited by symcbass

[quote name='symcbass' timestamp='1381685062' post='2242295']
Got mine!!!
[/quote]

Gotta admit , that looks really great!!!

If you get time, could you take a few more pics, including the new input/ control panel on the back.

Looks like I may be firing off an email to Alex sometime soon.

Cheers

Thebassman

[quote name='thebassman' timestamp='1381686295' post='2242326']......a few more pics, including the new input/ control panel on the back.[/quote]

There will be a rear panel label on all the generation three cabs, with all the info printed on them, including the serial number, but we haven't had time to design them yet! They'll be self-adhesive and once they're done we'll be posting them to early customers to apply themselves.

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1381737539' post='2242867']

That'll be why you play an acoustic bass then! :lol:
[/quote]

Definitely, had a laugh at that! Vintage basses, gut strings , vintage clothes, listen to music that is 60 years old plus. The only thing modern going on here is my amplification! As someone said at our gig the other night, " I think you were born in the wrong era", can't argue with that. Happy days.

[quote name='alexclaber' timestamp='1381749399' post='2243039']
There will be a rear panel label on all the generation three cabs, with all the info printed on them, including the serial number, but we haven't had time to design them yet! They'll be self-adhesive and once they're done we'll be posting them to early customers to apply themselves.
[/quote]

How would you identify a series 2 Big twin then, being as there are no serial numbers etc.? Are the drivers serialised and recorded or something of the like?

No issues with feedback. My last big cab for upright was an Aguilar 412. With careful eq, I got a big acoustic sound out of it, but the mids got list live especially my g & d strings. This cab is louder, deeper and cuts through live much better with half the weight. If you have shortcomings in your pickups/amp etc it will show them up. For loud upright bass, this is a beaut!

No, I wasn't the buyer. I think we PM'd each other a few times when I originally tried to sell mine though. It was a great cab, but the weight was just too much in the end. That coupled with trying to fit the 412, double bass, gig bag and amp into my car( and still being able to drive) ! I thought I'd miss the Aggy, but this Big Twin is just something else. You know things are good when you catch yourself grinning at your amplified tone. My earlier feeble attempt at describing the sound if this cab really doesn't do it any justice.