Why become a member? ×

NBD (Saturday actually) Alpher Instruments loveliness

artisan

ok i got the bass last Saturday & should have posted this then but i've been busy playing the beast,or am i just slack :D
it all started a week ago when i called in to see Chris (Chrisdabass) at Alpher Instruments about doing a small job on my Esh (see sale section) when i spotted his demo basses hanging on the wall,of course i just had to have a go on them,there was three of them & they were all extremely gorgeous.
always being a sucker for a nice piece of walnut i fell head over heels with one particular bass & after a good long play was invited to take the beast home to try out then report back on my thoughts.
the bass is bloody lovely,made with utter care of the most beautiful woods i have seen on a bass,perfect fretwork & with a real punchy,meaty thumpy tone i was in love straight away,of course it plays sublimely too,a real pleasure in all respects.
there are some new innovations on the bass too,strap buttons that are actually allen bolts,so no danger of the bass parting company with the strap & crashing to the floor,simple but oh so very clever.
the control cavity cover,although made from wood,has magnets securing it to the body,fastest battery change ever,again very clever.
the craftsmanship on the bass is of an extremely high quality in all departments,including the tastefully applied oil finish that really brings out the fabulous wood grain & the choice of woods is my idea of perfection -
Indian Rosewood body - Claro Walnut top (seperated by a Maple veneer) - Wenge neck - Macassar Ebony fretboard :gas:
yummy yum yum
all hardware is by Hipshot
custom wound Wizard pickups
John East 2 band e.q.
i now own my dream bass :sun_bespectacled:

so anyone thinking of ordering a custom bass please check out Alpher Instruments,these guys build awesome instruments,give 1st class customer service & are really nice guys to boot.
ok here's some photo's (disclaimer i am sh*te at photography so my pics do not do justice to this fantastic bass)
[url="http://s88.photobucket.com/user/artisan1967/media/P1000273_zpsc2204571.jpg.html"][/url]
[url="http://s88.photobucket.com/user/artisan1967/media/P1000274_zps2214ec7b.jpg.html"][/url]
[url="http://s88.photobucket.com/user/artisan1967/media/P1000277_zps8eab01fb.jpg.html"][/url]
[url="http://s88.photobucket.com/user/artisan1967/media/P1000279_zps08b75da5.jpg.html"][/url]
[url="http://s88.photobucket.com/user/artisan1967/media/P1000272_zpsef3c460a.jpg.html"][/url]

Edited by artisan

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1380608435' post='2227632']
That is a real looker. A pleasing combination of familiar looks and yet very original, if you know what I mean.
[/quote]
indeed i do,it is a clever design as you say it looks familiar but also different too.
As mentioned above it feels lovely to play,just running up & down the neck is a pleasure,i couldn't be happier with it.
Talking of the neck access to the dusty end is excellent the heel is shaped to perfection,these guys really know what they are doing.
I love it to bits :)

[quote name='StephenYork' timestamp='1380663538' post='2228793']
So you are the lucky guy who got this one! Great bass, loved all their instruments that I tried when I was dropping in to get mine. Hope you enjoy it as much as I am liking mine.
[/quote]
thanks Stephen,i'm loving it,by far the best bass i have ever played.
Not sure when you saw this one as it had a poly laquer finish on it but the guys refinished it for me into an oil finish & it looks even better now.

Did you post any pics of yours on here?

Edited by artisan

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1380716091' post='2229367']

thanks Stephen,i'm loving it,by far the best bass i have ever played.
Not sure when you saw this one as it had a poly laquer finish on it but the guys refinished it for me into an oil finish & it looks even better now.

Did you post any pics of yours on here?
[/quote]

It does look great with the new finish, a stunning top on this.

I put a build thread up a little while ago and have posted a couple since, I can put one here if you would like?

Edited by StephenYork

I ordered my Alpher Instruments bass without even seeing or touching one in the flesh so it's nice to see people enjoying their experiences with them, but it makes the wait all that more painful!

Congratulations on the new bass though, they have a way of using special and fantastic woods without making them sit among the typical 'coffee table' basses. It's wicked. :-)

[quote name='Jellyfish' timestamp='1380720606' post='2229493']
I ordered my Alpher Instruments bass without even seeing or touching one in the flesh so it's nice to see people enjoying their experiences with them, but it makes the wait all that more

Congratulations on the new bass though, they have a way of using special and fantastic woods without making them sit among the typical 'coffee table' basses. It's wicked. :-)
[/quote]
cheers matey,i just a minute ago posted in your build thread :)
love my bass to bits,i have never played anything anywhere near as good as this bass & the neck :)
You are in for a treat for sure so congrats on making an excellent choice bass.

Edited by artisan

[quote name='StephenYork' timestamp='1380717787' post='2229428']

It does look great with the new finish, a stunning top on this.

I put a build thread up a little while ago and have posted a couple since, I can put one here if you would like?
[/quote]
yes please do i'd love to see it