Why become a member? ×

Yamaha Attitude Basses

molan

[quote name='Smash' post='282138' date='Sep 11 2008, 08:42 PM']I toyed about this one a few days ago... but now I have bought it woo hoo

I phoned Gak and Thomann re new one but none are coming over until end of November so I thought I would take the plunge on this, thanks for you help guys, will let you know what I think when it arrives.[/quote]

Nice one man, do tell how it fairs when you get it won't you :)

Well it arrived yesterday (Attitude Ltd II) so thought I would do a little write up on my findings.

Took it practice last night to have a good play about with it, I lowered the strings (as they were sky high) but I still find them too high, will probably need a truss rod adjustment, I soldiered on though. The neck is really wide but not as deep as I thought it would have been, took a while to adjust being as I solely play Jazz neck widths and can imagine it will take some further getting used to as I found my hands cramping on some occasions. The finish of the neck was glossed maple (reminds me of my Fender Geddy Lee Jazz) which made it easier to slide up and down the fretboard, the 5 scalloped frets on D / G string were a nice touch but I couldn't quite manage to get the string bending to work, will try harder.

Now for the sound... with the front humbucker on half and prec. pup off I had a deep warm tone if not a bit muddy but with the tone control managed some nice growly tone that sat well whilst thumping away on the E and A string (D and G string were a bit lost), putting the volume up to full gave a lovely Reggae tone so deep it made the practice room shudder. I then proceeded by putting the Prec pup in action (all in mono mode) placed the Prec volume on half and the Hum pup on full, this made the bass sound fuller and started getting some highs through the mix, turning the Prec pup volume to full gave the bass its full aggressive status, it was a immense, had thunderous lows and sparkling highs a dream sound for me. Lastly I used the Prec pup on its own this pickup has a very bright tone and very useful I found for the higher frets, gave a nice crisp tone that cuts well.

As for the pickup combination and placement, this is an absolute dream, they are placed near the neck end which for me is my sweet spot on a bass, I know many people prefer a bridge pickup but I really don't miss it. It really is like a Woofer / Tweeter combo as you can individually set the levels to suit and playing live this will make it easier to make the adjustments on the fly.

The build quality is pretty solid looks like this thing can take a battering if needed not that I will, the tuners are meant to be Gotoh (as per the ad) but I am not sure they are, think they are substitute as they have nothing written on them but they seem to be ok. The Sea Foam Green is certainly bright, its a nice colour in my opinion and goes well with the maple neck and black hardware.

Overall I am very satisfied with the sound of the bass it ticks mainly all the right boxes for me except for the wide neck which I am going to have to learn to get used. It really is a Marmite bass though can imagine some Musicman lovers wouldn't get on so well with the pickup location (probably due to slap) on the other hand people like me who doesn't get on with the musicman bridge pickup will find this a joy to play.

[quote name='Smash' post='285735' date='Sep 17 2008, 12:03 PM']Well it arrived yesterday (Attitude Ltd II) so thought I would do a little write up on my findings.

Took it practice last night to have a good play about with it, I lowered the strings (as they were sky high) but I still find them too high, will probably need a truss rod adjustment, I soldiered on though. The neck is really wide but not as deep as I thought it would have been, took a while to adjust being as I solely play Jazz neck widths and can imagine it will take some further getting used to as I found my hands cramping on some occasions. The finish of the neck was glossed maple (reminds me of my Fender Geddy Lee Jazz) which made it easier to slide up and down the fretboard, the 5 scalloped frets on D / G string were a nice touch but I couldn't quite manage to get the string bending to work, will try harder.

Now for the sound... with the front humbucker on half and prec. pup off I had a deep warm tone if not a bit muddy but with the tone control managed some nice growly tone that sat well whilst thumping away on the E and A string (D and G string were a bit lost), putting the volume up to full gave a lovely Reggae tone so deep it made the practice room shudder. I then proceeded by putting the Prec pup in action (all in mono mode) placed the Prec volume on half and the Hum pup on full, this made the bass sound fuller and started getting some highs through the mix, turning the Prec pup volume to full gave the bass its full aggressive status, it was a immense, had thunderous lows and sparkling highs a dream sound for me. Lastly I used the Prec pup on its own this pickup has a very bright tone and very useful I found for the higher frets, gave a nice crisp tone that cuts well.

As for the pickup combination and placement, this is an absolute dream, they are placed near the neck end which for me is my sweet spot on a bass, I know many people prefer a bridge pickup but I really don't miss it. It really is like a Woofer / Tweeter combo as you can individually set the levels to suit and playing live this will make it easier to make the adjustments on the fly.

The build quality is pretty solid looks like this thing can take a battering if needed not that I will, the tuners are meant to be Gotoh (as per the ad) but I am not sure they are, think they are substitute as they have nothing written on them but they seem to be ok. The Sea Foam Green is certainly bright, its a nice colour in my opinion and goes well with the maple neck and black hardware.

Overall I am very satisfied with the sound of the bass it ticks mainly all the right boxes for me except for the wide neck which I am going to have to learn to get used. It really is a Marmite bass though can imagine some Musicman lovers wouldn't get on so well with the pickup location (probably due to slap) on the other hand people like me who doesn't get on with the musicman bridge pickup will find this a joy to play.[/quote]

Well done on your purchase.

I have two fo these, a LTD 1 and LTD 2 - I adore them! For me these basses a workman like, solid construction, huge tone and simply just work!

My LTD 1 is 20 years old and still looks new, My LTD 2 is 10 years old and is pristine! they have been giiged to death and are still here and working perfectly!

I would recomend using RotoSound strings on these basses as nothing else seems to give the 'tone' off the dimarzio pups!

Andy

ah see?!.... my post above mentioned both the neck dive issue and the getting used to wider flatter neck issue!! both of which you WILL get used to ( a decent strap helps the neck dive). These really are good basses and are built to survive pretty much anything. Just had my LTD 1 sorted for a new volume pot so she's well and truly back in action now!! i always use elites strings on mine - sound fine to me!

peace

c

[quote name='Smash' post='286641' date='Sep 18 2008, 02:25 PM']Thanks Andy, you say Rotosound what type? Would Nickel Strings be ok?

Forgot to mention there is a neck dive issue but it really doesn't bother me too much as the bass likes to lay horizontal, thats fine for my style, at least it doesn't point to the floor.[/quote]

Rotosound swing bass work well for me, a good strap will see you past the neck dive. its the hipshot that causes it!

andy

[quote name='kemra' post='286787' date='Sep 18 2008, 06:56 PM']Also doesn't Sheehan himself use Rotosound Swing Bass strings?[/quote]

no, he has his own signature series nickel wound strings by rotosound.

andy

:- just checked rotosound website, billy is indeed an endorsee of the swing bass 66 strings.

Edited by andy67

don't think it so much the hipshot that causes the neck dive - more like the general hefty neck, theres alot of wood there!, i've got other basses with hipshots on that don't suffer from dive at all. The sheehan signature strings i found to be quite nasty as the E is fatter than normal and the G is thinner than normal so doesn't make for very even feel IMO.

peace

c

[quote name='3V17C' post='286914' date='Sep 18 2008, 11:08 PM']don't think it so much the hipshot that causes the neck dive - more like the general hefty neck, theres alot of wood there!, i've got other basses with hipshots on that don't suffer from dive at all. The sheehan signature strings i found to be quite nasty as the E is fatter than normal and the G is thinner than normal so doesn't make for very even feel IMO.

peace

c[/quote]

Bit of both then :) agree with the sheehan strings, didn't work for me either!

C, check out this though: [url="http://www.bassplayer.tv/"]http://www.bassplayer.tv/[/url]

go to James Lomenzo link. check out the Yamaha BB bass. Model one in Neck position, split p in the middle and a split p at the bridge but...its got a maple neck!

andy

[quote name='3V17C' post='286914' date='Sep 18 2008, 11:08 PM']don't think it so much the hipshot that causes the neck dive - more like the general hefty neck, theres alot of wood there!, i've got other basses with hipshots on that don't suffer from dive at all. The sheehan signature strings i found to be quite nasty as the E is fatter than normal and the G is thinner than normal so doesn't make for very even feel IMO.

peace

c[/quote]

The dive can be lessened with a set of Hipshot ultralight tuners - get all that steel off the back of the headstock!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest leebass69

I have one! I have to say it's-at least for me-perfect, does more than everything I'd hoped for and the dual outputs are awesome, really helps me get the sound that rumbles and screams. For the gigs that have to be more relaxed then that's fine too, it can be rich and mellow... I should be on commission!!

By the way, does anyone know of a non-adjustable strap? Or at least material that I could have cut to size to suit me?

• 3 months later...

sorry to drag up this old thread, but I also have an Attitude Special that im loving, does anyone have any idea what they would have retailed at new/would be worth? I dont have any intention of selling, but I have an old issue of Bass Guitar Magazine (over a year old) that has Manson's selling a used one for £145 which isnt much less than i paid for mine off ebay, and also i've just purchased a DiMarzio Will Power neck humbucker, it hasnt arrived yet, but might I run into problems trying to wire it up to the Special? being that the Attitude LTD has two outputs and the Special has one?

Also some sites mention the Willpower neck pickup on the LTD II has a high-cut switch, I wasnt aware of this before hand and dont really know what to do with it/where to put it/how to fit it. I dont mess with my electronics usually, but by all right the only thing separating this from the higher priced models is the electronics and output options.

[quote name='Dosi Y'Anarchy' post='378568' date='Jan 13 2009, 02:52 AM']sorry to drag up this old thread, but I also have an Attitude Special that im loving, does anyone have any idea what they would have retailed at new/would be worth? I dont have any intention of selling, but I have an old issue of Bass Guitar Magazine (over a year old) that has Manson's selling a used one for £145 which isnt much less than i paid for mine off ebay, and also i've just purchased a DiMarzio Will Power neck humbucker, it hasnt arrived yet, but might I run into problems trying to wire it up to the Special? being that the Attitude LTD has two outputs and the Special has one?

Also some sites mention the Willpower neck pickup on the LTD II has a high-cut switch, I wasnt aware of this before hand and dont really know what to do with it/where to put it/how to fit it. I dont mess with my electronics usually, but by all right the only thing separating this from the higher priced models is the electronics and output options.[/quote]

Re: Twinning the pick-ups- No problems, I run mine in "mono" nearly all the time.
The High-cut affetcs only the neck pick-up. I use it ALL the time, as much of the output from the neck pick-up overshadows (if not directly cancels) the "P" pick-up. It's entirely passive, and is fitted as a push to make/push to break pot on the neck pick-up tone control. Nothing to stop you just fitting a switch, mind you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello I have a Yamaha Attitude 5 Standard bass.It's a beast of a bass but is very playable and I have found I can get a wide range of sounds from it. The best thing about this bass is the playability of the neck ( as already mentioned), the neck is not to thick so easy to move around on. In terms of slap style playing it is not the best, however i do use ADG Strings for slap style in some songs with my band and the sound is great. B and E strings give a slightly thick "duff" sound when slapped and lack clarity. I've included some photos of my bass here, I'm reluctant to sell this bass but need the cash to fund further bass purchases.

The bass does need a service, new jack socket and Volume switches required. There are 4/5 chips to the paint work, one is quite large.

Contact me; [email protected] for more info and offers

Many thanks
[attachment=26422:Untitled_Image.jpeg]
[attachment=26420:Bass_3.jpg]
[attachment=26421:Bass2.jpg]
[attachment=26419:Bass_1.jpg]
Andy

Sold to Beneath It All, many happy Low end rumblings I hope..

Edited by Sweeneythebass

[quote name='leebass69' post='303329' date='Oct 9 2008, 09:09 PM']I have one! I have to say it's-at least for me-perfect, does more than everything I'd hoped for and the dual outputs are awesome, really helps me get the sound that rumbles and screams. For the gigs that have to be more relaxed then that's fine too, it can be rich and mellow... I should be on commission!!

By the way, does anyone know of a non-adjustable strap? Or at least material that I could have cut to size to suit me?[/quote]
......Ayup lee;..how about a length of leather...mike

I tried one of these out a while ago. Well designed bass no question! I didn't really take to the scalloped frets though, just call me old-fashioned! Action wasn't that great though, verging on being spongey, but thats really a set-up in the store issue rather than anything to do with the actual bass. Dual outputs are a cool feature. Just not for me.