Why become a member? ×

Yamaha Attitude Basses

molan

[quote name='Raggy' post='221217' date='Jun 18 2008, 10:46 AM']I'm Interested in buying one of these.

So I would be interested in some info also. :)[/quote]

There's quite a few reviews on Harmony Central.

One thing to look out for is Yamaha's interesting definition of 'plus' which actually means 'minus'!

The Attitude 'Plus' is 'minus' a lot of the things that make an Attitude interesting and appears to build down to a budget. I've seen used ones selling for under £300. Attitude Ltd is the one to go for, some people say the Ltd 1 is more 'limited' than the Ltd 2 version as well.

A guy I know who I bought my Kubicki from had one (one of the Seafom LTD models like Billy uses). By all accounts he loves it. He tells me the tone is great, nice and light and it plays excellently. The only thing to look out for is that it is [b]not[/b] a good bass for slapping, because the woofer pickup makes it practically impossible to pop.

Also, as he says, it sounds like a fat, growly P bass with an added treble edge, which is often not what people expect from it. They expect overdrive and distortion, which you'll need to biamp for if you want to sound anything like Billy!

one of the reviews on harmony central is from me i think - I have an Attitude LTD 1 (Blue with pink inlays) and a lower spec Attitude Special. and yes LTD 1 is more LTD than LTD 2 version! (They only made 150 Blue ones and 150 Red ones). A LTD 3 is on its way from Yamaha soon too....but don't hold your breath!

The Attitude LTD1 is the older top of the line model with the scalloped fingerboard, DiMarzio pickups, stereo outs etc. and is a very well made instrument. Action is super low, very powerful, high output (pretty much equal to active), nicely finished etc. Never used the stereo outs but soundwise its a beast - a very full sound, and in a rock context at least, can't be beaten and walks all over my Precision. Not the easiest bass to slap on due to the neck humbucker and the position of the forward knob, but it can be done once you're used to where to position your hand. The neck is [b]very[/b] wide and flat so not suitable for everyone as it takes some getting used to. Can suffer from neck dive a little but nothing a decent strap won't fix. The Special however has a thinner neck more like a jazz bass, but does lack the scallops, dtuner, stereo out etc. Still a fine bass though and both are built like the proverbial brick outhouse. Heres my two:

[attachment=9745:attltd1.jpg]

[attachment=9746:attspecial.jpg]

peace

c

[quote name='3V17C' post='221248' date='Jun 18 2008, 11:22 AM']one of the reviews on harmony central is from me i think - I have an Attitude LTD 1 (Blue with pink inlays) and a lower spec Attitude Special. and yes LTD 1 is more LTD than LTD 2 version! (They only made 150 Blue ones and 150 Red ones). A LTD 3 is on its way from Yamaha soon too....but don't hold your breath!

The Attitude LTD1 is the older top of the line model with the scalloped fingerboard, DiMarzio pickups, stereo outs etc. and is a very well made instrument. Action is super low, very powerful, high output (pretty much equal to active), nicely finished etc. Never used the stereo outs but soundwise its a beast - a very full sound, and in a rock context at least, can't be beaten and walks all over my Precision. Not the easiest bass to slap on due to the neck humbucker and the position of the forward knob, but it can be done once you're used to where to position your hand. The neck is [b]very[/b] wide and flat so not suitable for everyone as it takes some getting used to. Can suffer from neck dive a little but nothing a decent strap won't fix. The Special however has a thinner neck more like a jazz bass, but does lack the scallops, dtuner, stereo out etc. Still a fine bass though and both are built like the proverbial brick outhouse. Heres my two:

[attachment=9745:attltd1.jpg]

[attachment=9746:attspecial.jpg]

peace

c[/quote]

Real good looking basses those.

• 2 months later...

Sorry for stirring up this old thread...

Someone pointed me to one of these as I said I like the sound of pickups near the neck end, (as I don't get on with Stingrays and don't slap) he told me these sound very loud and great for finger players, is that true?

Just curious about these basses and have a few questions:

1, How many models are there?
2, Do any have a Jazz profile neck 1.5" nut width?
3, What sort of price do they come in at 2nd hand?

ta

Not even nearly, a £17 ebay bass, not gonna carve up anything nice. Actually, I took it apart and its a really well made body, neat routing except where someone chiselled a battery compartment in (came with EMG p pickup, which is why I bought it). Got a Johnson neck which is tele bass thickness, but looking for something a little better.

[quote name='Smash' post='279320' date='Sep 7 2008, 08:44 PM']Can anyone answer my questions above or does nobody know?[/quote]

I don't know too much about them, but I'm pretty sure all of the necks on any of the models are the same as a Precision bass, Billy says himself the chunky neck reminds him of his old P-Bass. Umm there are a few models:

Standard (None of the Sheehan gizmos)
Artist ( Double jack output and a covered neck pick up)
Signature (All of the Sheehan whistles and bells, Scalloped frets, Dimarzio Pick up's etc etc etc.)

And then I think it's the 20th or 25th anniversary model which came out in either purple or black, L-Falex has one I think.

Like I said I'm not 100% sure on all of that, but price wise I've seen a second hand Signature one go for about £800+, which isn't too bad, there just not that common.

Edited by Josh

[quote name='Josh' post='279334' date='Sep 7 2008, 09:04 PM']I don't know too much about them, but I'm pretty sure all of the necks on any of the models are the same as a Precision bass, Billy says himself the chunky neck reminds him of his old P-Bass. Umm there are a few models:

Standard (None of the Sheehan gizmos)
Artist ( Double jack output and a covered neck pick up)
Signature (All of the Sheehan whistles and bells, Scalloped frets, Dimarzio Pick up's etc etc etc.)

And then I think it's the 20th or 25th anniversary model which came out in either purple or black, L-Falex has one I think.

Like I said I'm not 100% sure on all of that, but price wise I've seen a second hand Signature one go for about £800+, which isn't too bad, there just not that common.[/quote]

thanks josh,

clears the neck issue up, prefer jazz width but watching him play it must be fast!

What is the LTD 2 about is that an Artist version?

Hello!

Here's mine;

This is the signature. 1 of 300, so not particularly common. Black is the other colour scheme.

The plus is really only a Yamaha "P" bass.
Artist is otherwise the LTD1 or LTD2;
AFAIK the LTD 1 is just as the image above depicts save for a Maple fretboard, unpainted neck/'stock, solid red positon markers, and a plain white scratchplate.
The LTD 2 is the current incarnation, minus the upper fret scallops. It has solid black position markers and comes in sea foam green or black.
The Signature has Gotoh tuners and a Hipshot manufactured DeTuner (as opposed to a licensed one...) I believe the LTD1 shares these, whereas the LTD2 does not, using cheaper parts.

The Signature is as above.

Generally, it sounds fantastic, but is always better through a rig than headphones/ in ear monitoring.
The fundamental output from that Neck HB is huge, but the tone is still well defined. The "P" pick-up is oddly wound, and gives far more upper mid and treble than you'd expect, but can be a bit harsh as there's no tone control wired to it.
It won't "sing" like a Jazz, but it will shout down most other passive basses; Precisions, Ricks etc.
It does need the right string choice.
Mine wears Elixirs at the mo', and they just aren't right for some reason. I reckon some DRs might be a good bet.
I think, ultimately, that the slightly compressed sound of a Maple fretboard might suit the bass better that the phenolic does.

Good for;
Fingerstyle anything
Plectrum players

Difficult for slap for the reasons already mentioned. It can be achieved with practice, but it doesn't bother me that much.
Any more questions?
Ask away...

Excellent thanks for that, I understand it all now, hmmm your purple sig is a dream bass looks brilliant how much did that set you back?

Is the neck glossed front and back like US Fender Basses?

Shame also there is no tone control on that Precision pickup, I like a deeper tone.

Think I might go looking for one now if I can find a decent 2nd hand version about.

Is she for sale or trade ? :)

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='279576' date='Sep 8 2008, 11:41 AM']Hello!

Here's mine;

This is the signature. 1 of 300, so not particularly common. Black is the other colour scheme.

The plus is really only a Yamaha "P" bass.
Artist is otherwise the LTD1 or LTD2;
AFAIK the LTD 1 is just as the image above depicts save for a Maple fretboard, unpainted neck/'stock, solid red positon markers, and a plain white scratchplate.
The LTD 2 is the current incarnation, minus the upper fret scallops. It has solid black position markers and comes in sea foam green or black.
The Signature has Gotoh tuners and a Hipshot manufactured DeTuner (as opposed to a licensed one...) I believe the LTD1 shares these, whereas the LTD2 does not, using cheaper parts.

The Signature is as above.

Generally, it sounds fantastic, but is always better through a rig than headphones/ in ear monitoring.
The fundamental output from that Neck HB is huge, but the tone is still well defined. The "P" pick-up is oddly wound, and gives far more upper mid and treble than you'd expect, but can be a bit harsh as there's no tone control wired to it.
It won't "sing" like a Jazz, but it will shout down most other passive basses; Precisions, Ricks etc.
It does need the right string choice.
Mine wears Elixirs at the mo', and they just aren't right for some reason. I reckon some DRs might be a good bet.
I think, ultimately, that the slightly compressed sound of a Maple fretboard might suit the bass better that the phenolic does.

Good for;
Fingerstyle anything
Plectrum players

Difficult for slap for the reasons already mentioned. It can be achieved with practice, but it doesn't bother me that much.
Any more questions?
Ask away...[/quote]

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='280124' date='Sep 9 2008, 07:02 AM']Most definitely not up for sale...
I wish I'd bought the other Purple one I found a couple of weeks later![/quote]
Her sister is for sale noooooooooo, anyone live in Texas?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-ATTITUDE-X-Billy-Sheehan-10th-Anniversary_W0QQitemZ320296651637QQihZ011QQcategoryZ41432QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-ATTITUDE-X-Bill...1QQcmdZViewItem[/url]

[quote name='Smash' post='276416' date='Sep 3 2008, 05:28 PM']Sorry for stirring up this old thread...

Someone pointed me to one of these as I said I like the sound of pickups near the neck end, (as I don't get on with Stingrays and don't slap) he told me these sound very loud and great for finger players, is that true?

Just curious about these basses and have a few questions:

1, How many models are there?
2, Do any have a Jazz profile neck 1.5" nut width?
3, What sort of price do they come in at 2nd hand?

ta[/quote]

I've got 2 - very good basses....the mid-priced Attitude Special has pretty much a Jazz profile neck, the LTD 1's & 2's are MUCH wider and flatter and if you're used to a Jazz profile will take some getting used to. They do suffer from slight neck dive though nothing a decent wide strap won't cure.

anyone know when the MKIII is due out?....

peace

c

Edited by 3V17C

Coincidence, it's definetly the first one I've seen for a long time on Ebay, and a it's a pretty good price IMO:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/YAMAHA-ATTITUDE-ATT-LTDII-BILLY-SHEEHAN-SIGNATURE_W0QQitemZ170258033879QQihZ007QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]Attitude LTD II[/url]

[quote name='Josh' post='281920' date='Sep 11 2008, 03:36 PM']Coincidence, it's definetly the first one I've seen for a long time on Ebay, and a it's a pretty good price IMO:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/YAMAHA-ATTITUDE-ATT-LTDII-BILLY-SHEEHAN-SIGNATURE_W0QQitemZ170258033879QQihZ007QQcategoryZ4713QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]Attitude LTD II[/url][/quote]

I toyed about this one a few days ago... but now I have bought it woo hoo

I phoned Gak and Thomann re new one but none are coming over until end of November so I thought I would take the plunge on this, thanks for you help guys, will let you know what I think when it arrives.